AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Reggie and the Full Effect - Last Stop:... Album Cover

Reggie and the Full Effect - Last Stop:...

Reviewed by
Reggie and the Full Effect - Last Stop: Crappy Town
Release Date: June 17, 2008
Record Label: Vagrant Records
James Dewees (or Reggie, as most should know) throws in his final towel in like a wet sack of punctuating defiance. Well, sort of. Defiant for him, maybe. But for most, most who are unfazed by anything that combines melody with calculated amounts of rage, Last Stop: Crappy Town will come dangerously close to the beaten screamo horse. But that's only if you throw away the finer details.

Dewees vocals aren't gentle or sexy or even that good (in the traditional sense), and that's always been one of the major appeals behind Reggie. On tracks like "E", where the slow, simple chug and Dewees are spatting out lines about second chances, he doesn't sound smooth but desperate and well, older. I like that, because it's 1) believable, 2) proves weakness and 3) fitting, considering this is likely the last Reggie record.

Opening with "G", Reggie is striking the mic with a strong growl, heavy distortion, and light but eerie electronics. The melody is a beast of sorts; it matches his pissy rumbles like a twin in hand. His silly skits and dance-concentrated beats from previous releases are not the main focus on Last Stop (or any focus, really). It shows mature progression, because who would believe a man who's still skates around on rollerblades, dressed as George Washington, after a decade. The somber transitions are also telling, like the dark aura on the ending of "E", the faint whispering from "3rd Ave" ("I guess I loved you too much"), the fulminating uppercuts anointing the beginning of "L", or the pinging thick and lethargic keys on "Lorimer St".

Even so, Dewees doesn't forget all that makes music fun. On "J", handclaps are ever-present, and thankfully, because the song immediately kicks up the mass catch appeal for "V", the following track, and "R", which sprinkles in Reggie's familiar electronic patterns. Producer Sean Beavan, known for his hefty distorted guitars, can chalk up some of the credit for the album's darker tones. But it's in Reggie's approach - inky and much more serious (see: the accumulating and repeating "Are you scared?" on ender "N") that controls all of Crappy Town from the dark side.

After Songs Not To Get Married To, this album isn't branching off any new feelings. Dewees' dynamic character (see: rollerblades and George Washington) have always crafted Reggie albums into reflections of personality and life experiences over basic sound concepts. All fun or very little fun, Reggie makes music that is distinctly Reggie, enveloping any screamo argument into invalidity. And, as far as my opinion is concerned, anyone who names their tracklisting after Brooklyn-related material (subways, to be exact), is automatically cool.

RIYLAnything Reggie and the Full Effect, My Chemical Romance, Brooklyn
Additional InfoAP.net Profile | Wikipedia | Myspace
This review is a user submitted review from Julia Conny. You can see all of Julia Conny's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 44
12:18 PM on 06/26/08
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
good review Julia, I really like this record.
12:33 PM on 06/26/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
good review Julia, I really like this record.

Thanks muffin!
12:35 PM on 06/26/08
kidwithhelmet
User Info.
Very good record, very good review...
12:36 PM on 06/26/08
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
I need to check it out
12:41 PM on 06/26/08
Hereformusic
Forest of Noise
User Info.
Which Reggie would be the best to start with? All I have is the songs availabe from Vagrant's site.
12:49 PM on 06/26/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Which Reggie would be the best to start with? All I have is the songs availabe from Vagrant's site.

I'd say go in order ... so Greatest Hits. You'll get the full spectrum of characters if you go that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_1984-1987
12:49 PM on 06/26/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Very good record, very good review...

Thank you.
12:51 PM on 06/26/08
SLoT
Stage three has begun.
User Info.
I need to get on this shit. I love Reggie.
01:00 PM on 06/26/08
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Julia, this is a nicely written review, though I can't say I really agree with it. I don't think an album like this can help but to be polarizing.
01:05 PM on 06/26/08
huckleberry
Play Ultimate!
User Info.
havent heard much from reggie in a while, but after reading this it makes me want to get back into him. i enjoyed most of his older material. good review
01:06 PM on 06/26/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Julia, this is a nicely written review, though I can't say I really agree with it. I don't think an album like this can help but to be polarizing.

Definitely understandable though I tried to look at the album as a finale of sorts, and with that in mind, I felt satisfied with it as a whole.
01:09 PM on 06/26/08
jenny_ell
put your hands up for detroit
User Info.
nice review. i picked this up when it came out but sadly only really listened to the J song cause it was on his myspace and its awesome. but i need to listen to the rest of the cd
01:09 PM on 06/26/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
This album surprised me. The last album sort of discouraged me. Good review.
01:14 PM on 06/26/08
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.

Ohhhhh. Caught in the act.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT