Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts.
06:18 AM on 04/18/14
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
Outside of the plant issues, these seem to be the same complaints stated every year: It's too corporate, stores are too full, it doesn't support indies, etc.

It comes off to me as some labels don't want to adjust to this, which they absolutely have to. Like the above poster said, they have to listen to what their patrons want and not worry about ordering every single rsd release if they believe people won't buy it. If they know RSD will push back the release of a vinyl, then plan ahead or release it after the fact.
06:53 AM on 04/18/14
Gaugzilla
User Info.
My advice to small indies regarding RSD: don't participate

And what do you mean they absolutely have to adjust? That doesn't make any sense.
Agreed. And I rephrased that. Labels have to adjust to the demand placed on record plants. They can say they're waiting for the bubble to pop in this, but that's a fool's errand. Adjust for that demand and set your releases accordingly.
07:48 AM on 04/18/14
Gaugzilla
User Info.
You're thinking about it completely wrong. Majors are high-jacking an entire release season, do you see that? It takes roughly 2 months for a record's completion through the printing process.

At this rate, Q2 will become obsolete for small indies unless they give into the pressure of releasing on RSD. That's bunk as hell.

The plants need to tell the majors NO or put restrictions on 1. the number of records they are allowed to press 2. the quantity they are allowed to press. This way, indies can still release a record between March-May and not be burdened by a capitalist "holiday" they do not wish to participate in

I don't know what to tell you. Until some types of restrictions happen, they have to adjust. That's what comes with running a business, the ability to change when a problem arises.

I'm not saying it's right, but I don't think it's necessarily corrupt that majors flood record makers with requests with demands for RSD. It's been that way for about 5 years now and obviously continues to grow.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests