Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 6 posts
07:06 AM on 04/18/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
of course it's been corrupted by major labels - if you've been doing RSD for a few years, you can just look around and see that. it's also really, really, really easy to not support those large labels (by not buying their shit) and the smaller record store I frequent only orders RSD items that people want/have requested, so his shelves aren't filled with pointless soundtracks and old re-issues Beach Boys 7"s for $25.
08:23 AM on 04/18/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
haven't some record stores started doing
another record store day for independent releases or am I making that up?

and to the guy complaining about the One Direction 7", yeah that sucks, but at least it's current and may get some kid who would have never discovered a record store before into the scene.
08:33 AM on 04/18/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
All I want is that 'Because The Internet' vinyl. I'm driving an hour to wait in line in hopes to get just that record.

i'm sorry.
08:44 AM on 04/18/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
One thing that no one has touched upon is how hard it is for small labels to release NEW music on vinyl because there are so many major labels trying to get reissues that aren't needed and other money making schemes for RSD. There are only so many plants and those labels get priority on their orders. This backs up everything not just at the start of the year, but there is a trickle down effect on schedules for the whole year.

the reality is that this will probably pass. there's a resurgence in records now, but it is, as much as some people may want to deny it, at a 'fad' stage right now. eventually, people will move onto the next thing, majors will throw money at/disrupt that thing, and plants/record stores/indie labels can return to normal, albeit with a larger fanbase leftover from the 'fad'.
08:49 AM on 04/18/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
Yeah, a lot of people seemed to have glazed over this part of the essay. It's really rough on labels like Orchid Tapes when they can't put out their comp when they planned to because plants all of a sudden shift and say they have to prioritize the major labels RSD releases. It's not as simple as just changing your schedules for releases.

I'd be interested to see if money has been lost on rackwarmers that have been sitting around since RSD like 3 years ago. eventually you'd think the majors would either have to start putting out smarter or less releases, they have to be losing a decent chunk on the stuff no one seems to want. although I'm sure for majors the overhead/turnaround is a drop in the bucket.
08:52 AM on 04/18/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
I don't know what to tell you. Until some types of restrictions happen, they have to adjust. That's what comes with running a business, the ability to change when a problem arises.

Exactly. There's two record stores close to me. One of them only orders what people want, or what he knows he can sell (he's younger, actually gives a shit about popular music, follows trends, etc.) he always has a line out the door on RSD, and he fucking loves it. The other guy is old, doesn't give a shit about new music (he's a cranky bitter shit) orders fucking EVERYTHING he can, has a line out the door on RSD, always has a TON of garbage left over from RSD, and he says he hates the event.

Two guys, both participating in the same event, two wildly different outcomes based on their decisions/actions.

(This doesn't speak to the plant issues, which are a real problem that will hopefully pass)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos