Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 72
07:40 AM on 04/18/14
southparktvma
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
One thing that no one has touched upon is how hard it is for small labels to release NEW music on vinyl because there are so many major labels trying to get reissues that aren't needed and other money making schemes for RSD. There are only so many plants and those labels get priority on their orders. This backs up everything not just at the start of the year, but there is a trickle down effect on schedules for the whole year.
Holly HoX!
User Info.
tub and rug
pissed off > pissed on
User Info.
I've noticed more and more releases from bands/artists that made me scratch my head. But I just don't buy them.
07:42 AM on 04/18/14
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Some good releases, but to me it simply became unrealistic once the prices started getting higher and higher. Even two years ago I managed to get away with quite a few records for around $50-$70 bucks while last year the same budget only yielded a couple RSD releases and the prices this year aren't getting any cheaper. While I would love to own some of these releases (Jay-Z/LP, Gambino, fun., etc.) I'd rather take the money I would spend and invest it on smaller labels/offseason record shopping (any other week of the year Waterloo Records does 10% off vinyl on tuesdays, which sounds much more appealing than a 25-50% markup on records that will be repressed if they sell well enough.
07:44 AM on 04/18/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
One thing that no one has touched upon is how hard it is for small labels to release NEW music on vinyl because there are so many major labels trying to get reissues that aren't needed and other money making schemes for RSD. There are only so many plants and those labels get priority on their orders. This backs up everything not just at the start of the year, but there is a trickle down effect on schedules for the whole year.

the reality is that this will probably pass. there's a resurgence in records now, but it is, as much as some people may want to deny it, at a 'fad' stage right now. eventually, people will move onto the next thing, majors will throw money at/disrupt that thing, and plants/record stores/indie labels can return to normal, albeit with a larger fanbase leftover from the 'fad'.
07:45 AM on 04/18/14
Ryan Dennehy
Yeah, a lot of people seemed to have glazed over this part of the essay. It's really rough on labels like Orchid Tapes when they can't put out their comp when they planned to because plants all of a sudden shift and say they have to prioritize the major labels RSD releases. It's not as simple as just changing your schedules for releases.
07:48 AM on 04/18/14
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
You're thinking about it completely wrong. Majors are high-jacking an entire release season, do you see that? It takes roughly 2 months for a record's completion through the printing process.

At this rate, Q2 will become obsolete for small indies unless they give into the pressure of releasing on RSD. That's bunk as hell.

The plants need to tell the majors NO or put restrictions on 1. the number of records they are allowed to press 2. the quantity they are allowed to press. This way, indies can still release a record between March-May and not be burdened by a capitalist "holiday" they do not wish to participate in

I don't know what to tell you. Until some types of restrictions happen, they have to adjust. That's what comes with running a business, the ability to change when a problem arises.

I'm not saying it's right, but I don't think it's necessarily corrupt that majors flood record makers with requests with demands for RSD. It's been that way for about 5 years now and obviously continues to grow.
07:48 AM on 04/18/14
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Yeah, a lot of people seemed to have glazed over this part of the essay. It's really rough on labels like Orchid Tapes when they can't put out their comp when they planned to because plants all of a sudden shift and say they have to prioritize the major labels RSD releases. It's not as simple as just changing your schedules for releases.
Yes
07:49 AM on 04/18/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.

I'd be interested to see if money has been lost on rackwarmers that have been sitting around since RSD like 3 years ago. eventually you'd think the majors would either have to start putting out smarter or less releases, they have to be losing a decent chunk on the stuff no one seems to want. although I'm sure for majors the overhead/turnaround is a drop in the bucket.
07:51 AM on 04/18/14
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I don't know what to tell you. Until some types of restrictions happen, they have to adjust. That's what comes with running a business, the ability to change when a problem arises.

I'm not saying it's right, but I don't think it's necessarily corrupt that majors flood record makers with requests with demands for RSD. It's been that way for about 5 years now and obviously continues to grow.
Sad part is a lot of plants are artist-run and they are feeding into that machine for profit vs working with the small guys who are actually adding something new and relevant to the market. They could put their foot down and say we're dividing up the releases to be proportioned between indies and majors around RSD but.....again, money talks.
07:52 AM on 04/18/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.

Exactly. There's two record stores close to me. One of them only orders what people want, or what he knows he can sell (he's younger, actually gives a shit about popular music, follows trends, etc.) he always has a line out the door on RSD, and he fucking loves it. The other guy is old, doesn't give a shit about new music (he's a cranky bitter shit) orders fucking EVERYTHING he can, has a line out the door on RSD, always has a TON of garbage left over from RSD, and he says he hates the event.

Two guys, both participating in the same event, two wildly different outcomes based on their decisions/actions.

(This doesn't speak to the plant issues, which are a real problem that will hopefully pass)
07:53 AM on 04/18/14
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
You know, I actually understand the major labels wanting to jump on-board. And in some cases? There's some interesting and unique releases. That are also a total bitch to find... Which can be fairly deflating. And quite a few of the smaller, indie releases that interest me are regional-only. Also fairly deflating.

What confuses me is how ineffectively some of those major labels know their audience. Every year there's spill-over from the year before (i.e., unsold releases) that wind up getting front placement at the local record shops near me in sort of a "RSD of Years Past" box.

And I swear to you, there's still something like, 6-10 copies of Godsmack's "Cryin' Like a Bitch" in every fucking store.

this is so true, (except for last year) I usually wait a week and the selection is way better than the day of and you can avoid all the cuckoos by doing that as well. My local store that carries most of the "hip" stuff has a big line out of the store and when you finally get to that section there's like nothing good left anyway.
08:27 AM on 04/18/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Its record store day not record label day
08:31 AM on 04/18/14
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Its record store day not record label day
You're an idiot.
08:41 AM on 04/18/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
I mean, the point about smaller labels not even getting access to pressing plants because of increased demand is certainly interesting. But I'd still argue that the point of the RSD specials is to give people incentive to be in the store so the store gets a boost not help the labels (which is why most of the deals are in-store things). Its not so much hurting the thing it was trying to help as just having unintended consequences.

Is it a problem? sure. But hearing the smaller labels complain about how RSD isn't helping them like its supposed to strikes me as a little misguided because as far as I'm aware it wasn't design to help them it was designed to help the stores themselves.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos