AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Record Sales News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 72.
08:46 AM on 04/18/14
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I mean, the point about smaller labels not even getting access to pressing plants because of increased demand is certainly interesting. But I'd still argue that the point of the RSD specials is to give people incentive to be in the store so the store gets a boost not help the labels (which is why most of the deals are in-store things). Its not so much hurting the thing it was trying to help as just having unintended consequences.

Is it a problem? sure. But hearing the smaller labels complain about how RSD isn't helping them like its supposed to strikes me as a little misguided because as far as I'm aware it wasn't design to help them it was designed to help the stores themselves.
RSD does NOT help local stores bottom line. It may increase exposure in the short term, but the fact of the matter is, the people who support local shops will go there year round, not just on a "holiday"

I recommend this article: http://bandwidth.wamu.org/can-small-...ord-store-day/

The example stated earlier - about the two comparing record shops - is a fine example. Only problem is, most record stores don't have the time/overhead needed to pay an employee shift through hundreds of RSD releases to figure out which are going to make sense in their shop. It's very very rare for a shop to profit off RSD alone. You might be getting 10-fold people through the door on that given day, but your profit margin will be in the negative.
08:54 AM on 04/18/14
Holly HoX!
User Info.
08:58 AM on 04/18/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
RSD does NOT help local stores bottom line. It may increase exposure in the short term, but the fact of the matter is, the people who support local shops will go there year round, not just on a "holiday"

I recommend this article: http://bandwidth.wamu.org/can-small-...ord-store-day/

The example stated earlier - about the two comparing record shops - is a fine example. Only problem is, most record stores don't have the time/overhead needed to pay an employee shift through hundreds of RSD releases to figure out which are going to make sense in their shop. It's very very rare for a shop to profit off RSD alone. You might be getting 10-fold people through the door on that given day, but your profit margin will be in the negative.
Sure. It very well could be the case that RSD doesn't accomplish what its designed to do. My point was that the supposed benefactor of the day is the stores not the labels. If its true that "Small record shops are getting hurt by RSD" then that is the real story/problem.
09:01 AM on 04/18/14
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Sure. It very well could be the case that RSD doesn't accomplish what its designed to do. My point was that the supposed benefactor of the day is the stores not the labels. If its true that "Small record shops are getting hurt by RSD" then that is the real story/problem.
Read this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...057_story.html

It literally answers your question. It could very well put stores out of business if they continue participating.

"It probably won’t put Crooked Beat out of business — but it could. When the roster of special Record Store Day releases begins trickling out each February, stores scramble to crunch their budgets and rush their wish lists off to distributors. Due to the frantic demand for a limited supply of recordings, as little as one-third of those requests might arrive in time for the big day.

And here’s the rub: Nearly every piece of vinyl is nonreturnable to those distributors. So if stores end up not getting the titles customers want, tough luck. If they get stuck with a surplus of records that nobody wants, too bad."
09:07 AM on 04/18/14
lanemeyer42
User Info.
My Record Store Day is the Tuesday new releases come out.

I say if labels want to sell records/CDs/tapes/8-tracks whatever the trend will be, then they should just stop selling crappy music. They complain the year over year of how the decline of the sales of CDís are. Itís not the decline of the CD; itís the decline of good music. 5 dollar CDs sell just as good as 15 dollar CDs. All they are doing is reissuing, rereleasing, or masking music that was on the rejected pile from the original release. Years ago you could buy a CD then 6 months later there would be a reissue with demos or additional tracks. That was crappy to do and people fought back because they felt they were being taken advantage of by people they want to support them. People stopped buying them because they could just wait and see if anything new would come out and eventually pirated the music, copied from a friend who did buy it.

I think Record Store Day was originally an idea to celebrate the stores we love by supporting the bands we love. Support the band by seeing them when they tour. Wear their shirts. Listen to their music. Buy their CDs. Do what feels right but do it daily not just on one day. Support the stores you love by just going to them. Nothing better than reading the linear notes and seeing the bands they toured with and looking them up and then buying those records and doing the same.
09:09 AM on 04/18/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Read this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...057_story.html

It literally answers your question. It could very well put stores out of business if they continue participating.

"It probably won’t put Crooked Beat out of business — but it could. When the roster of special Record Store Day releases begins trickling out each February, stores scramble to crunch their budgets and rush their wish lists off to distributors. Due to the frantic demand for a limited supply of recordings, as little as one-third of those requests might arrive in time for the big day.

And here’s the rub: Nearly every piece of vinyl is nonreturnable to those distributors. So if stores end up not getting the titles customers want, tough luck. If they get stuck with a surplus of records that nobody wants, too bad."
that sucks. Sounds like stores could manage their stock better (only do pre-orders except for a few big items) but I'm sure that would add a whole lot of additional overhead.
09:17 AM on 04/18/14
Holly HoX!
User Info.
that sucks. Sounds like stores could manage their stock better (only do pre-orders except for a few big items) but I'm sure that would add a whole lot of additional overhead.
The problem is there's no real way to gauge demand unless customers are calling in requesting a specific release. Also, on normal consignment or distro, if something doesn't sell within say 6 months (that's usually standard) then the record shop is able to hand it back to the original seller/label without costs incurred.
09:18 AM on 04/18/14
fbrrocks
Registered Member
User Info.
still mad i missed out the fun and gorillaz vinyl last year. this i want to get drake bell paramore American Authors/The Mowglis
maybes are ghostbuster, Frank Iero, fun, and Chiodos
09:19 AM on 04/18/14
avarice14
A Waste Of A Time
User Info.
All I want is that 'Because The Internet' vinyl. I'm driving an hour to wait in line in hopes to get just that record.
and isn't it like $50....?
09:20 AM on 04/18/14
j-dogg_69
At Full Speed
User Info.
haven't some record stores started doing
another record store day for independent releases or am I making that up?

and to the guy complaining about the One Direction 7", yeah that sucks, but at least it's current and may get some kid who would have never discovered a record store before into the scene.
I really hope it does! Or it gives a parent/older sibling an excuse to go to a record shop to pick it up and get something for them self whilst there!
09:22 AM on 04/18/14
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Also, I'm sorry - anyone who buys a Ghostbuster 10" deserves an LOL in the face.
09:35 AM on 04/18/14
Mibabalou
Desolate Earth :: The End Is Here
User Info.
It's the most basic cycle we all in this "scene" have seen 1000 times.

Things are 'undeground' and its all going swell, the lines and prices are pretty chill and its just a fun little thing.

As soon as a big company realizes there is money to be made they change up a few things and it completely loses it's intended goal.

I mean looks at the Nirvana Bleach vinyl that newbury just did.

This is a easily available album on wax that Newbury was charging $35, when you can get it for about $10 / 15 from any shop, but guess what it sold out all 1500 copies.

IMO it's the beginning of the end.
09:38 AM on 04/18/14
texan4lif281
User Info.

Thanks for the read, I didn't realize the negative impact RSD has on stores. I was in Waterloo in Austin earlier this week and they had several crates of RSD 2013 releases they were trying to get rid of.
09:39 AM on 04/18/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
It's the most basic cycle we all in this "scene" have seen 1000 times.

Things are 'undeground' and its all going swell, the lines and prices are pretty chill and its just a fun little thing.

As soon as a big company realizes there is money to be made they change up a few things and it completely loses it's intended goal.

I mean looks at the Nirvana Bleach vinyl that newbury just did.

This is a easily available album on wax that Newbury was charging $35, when you can get it for about $10 / 15 from any shop, but guess what it sold out all 1500 copies.

IMO it's the beginning of the end.

The prices are getting outrageous, I agree with you on your last sentence.
09:42 AM on 04/18/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
Also, I'm sorry - anyone who buys a Ghostbuster 10" deserves an LOL in the face.

Why? I was kind of wanting that.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums