AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Copy and Paste Text From Images

Posted by - 08:35 AM on 04/23/14
Project Naptha is a Google Chrome extension that allows you to copy text from images on the web. I'm posting this because it's cool.
Project Naptha automatically applies state-of-the-art computer vision algorithms on every image you see while browsing the web. The result is a seamless and intuitive experience, where you can highlight as well as copy and paste and even edit and translate the text formerly trapped within an image.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
08:55 AM on 04/23/14
MrBenjaminQLee
I am adorable.
User Info.
I've wanted something like this for awhile. This is amazing.
09:04 AM on 04/23/14
weirderthanu210
Love me
User Info.
This is so cool.
09:31 AM on 04/23/14
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
woah
09:39 AM on 04/23/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
why does this say "can access your data on all websites" i don't think i like that
09:39 AM on 04/23/14
sammyboy516
User Info.
This will be so useful for research papers. I always need quotes from PDFs and can't copy them.
09:41 AM on 04/23/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
why does this say "can access your data on all websites" i don't think i like that
From a Google engineer:
Depending on the extension you install, the extension might need legitimate access to various things to carry out its purpose. For example, if you see the message that the extension can have access to "your private data on all websites," this usually means that the extension is inserting content scripts into a page. Content scripts are used to make changes to what's being shown on a page. An extension for blocking ads is one such example since it needs to modify the execution of the page to not show ads. In this case, this ability to modify page content brings you a desired functionality. However, this same ability means the extension can have the ability to read information submitted on the page, which includes private data. This is not to say it's going to do this or do something malicious with it, but it *can* if the extension author is ill-intentioned and built his extension specifically for this purpose. This is why we always advise users to only download extensions from authors they know and trust (they have great reviews, have a lot of users, good reputation, etc).

This is no different from the risk you take when installing software in general and the same risks exist in other browsers when installing extensions/add-ons. That said, we have done and are still doing many things to try and mitigate potential damage that can be caused by malicious extensions. For example, we can enforce granular access to permissions (having access to some sites instead of all sites), we isolate extension code from web page code to reduce the ability for malicious web pages to infect good extensions, and more. You can read more about security and Chrome extensions in a very informative blog post listed in my references.
09:46 AM on 04/23/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
From a Google engineer:
Depending on the extension you install, the extension might need legitimate access to various things to carry out its purpose. For example, if you see the message that the extension can have access to "your private data on all websites," this usually means that the extension is inserting content scripts into a page. Content scripts are used to make changes to what's being shown on a page. An extension for blocking ads is one such example since it needs to modify the execution of the page to not show ads. In this case, this ability to modify page content brings you a desired functionality. However, this same ability means the extension can have the ability to read information submitted on the page, which includes private data. This is not to say it's going to do this or do something malicious with it, but it *can* if the extension author is ill-intentioned and built his extension specifically for this purpose. This is why we always advise users to only download extensions from authors they know and trust (they have great reviews, have a lot of users, good reputation, etc).

This is no different from the risk you take when installing software in general and the same risks exist in other browsers when installing extensions/add-ons. That said, we have done and are still doing many things to try and mitigate potential damage that can be caused by malicious extensions. For example, we can enforce granular access to permissions (having access to some sites instead of all sites), we isolate extension code from web page code to reduce the ability for malicious web pages to infect good extensions, and more. You can read more about security and Chrome extensions in a very informative blog post listed in my references.
man i am so paranoid about stuff like this lately
09:49 AM on 04/23/14
B.Leibo
User Info.
NERDGASM. If this can be applied outside of web browsers... it will make my life ten times easier. As a graphic designer I always get customers who send uneditable images/PDFs...etc. This would vastly simplify things.
10:34 AM on 04/23/14
derekjd
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This could be revolutionary for the blind! So many images contain information unaccessible with a screen reader! Many academic articles are simply scans of the paper, and read as pictures. This is absolutely incredible.
11:07 AM on 04/23/14
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
absolutecopyandpastefromimagesusing agooglechromeextension
11:59 AM on 04/23/14
icmame11
User Info.
NERDGASM. If this can be applied outside of web browsers... it will make my life ten times easier. As a graphic designer I always get customers who send uneditable images/PDFs...etc. This would vastly simplify things.
You could open the images/PDFs in Chrome. First, you have to go to chrome://extensions and check the "Allow access to file URLs" checkbox. I was able to use this on a screen shot I made.
12:07 PM on 04/23/14
B.Leibo
User Info.
You could open the images/PDFs in Chrome. First, you have to go to chrome://extensions and check the "Allow access to file URLs" checkbox. I was able to use this on a screen shot I made.
YES, Good thinkin'.
02:05 PM on 04/23/14
Spencer Control
you'll grow your soul away
User Info.
Too bad it's not available for Firefox yet.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos