AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Liverspots - 04.05.14

Interviewed by
The Liverspots - 04.05.14The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Liverspots
FaceBook

1. How did you get your band name?
Paul: I was about to turn thirty and started writing songs for a new project. I noticed a lot of the lyrics in these new songs were about getting older yet still wanting to act young and have fun. I wanted a name that painted a mental picture of how horrible it would be to truly get old. I had been in a lot of bands before and had always been determined not to have a band name with the word, "THE," in it. For some reason, I now realized that I actually wanted to be a part of that tradition. I guess I figured that it was good enough for the Crickets, the Beach Boys, the Clash, and the Ramones...so it was good enough for us too. I wrote out a list of names that combined these ideas...the Dentures, the Catheters, etc. Most of these names were taken...so I went with the Liverspots. The rest of the dudes joined months later and never got a vote.

2. How did this band get started?
Paul: It started as a three piece. I was on guitar and vocals and a guy named Jake was playing bass. A friend recommended Matt to play drums. We met for a beer and Matt was wearing a stocking cap with a bunch of buttons and pins on it. I noticed that one was a Screeching Weasel button and decided Matt had to be the drummer right then and there. Luckily, Matt agreed. Eventually, we added Carl on guitar and replaced Jake with our good friend Nasty.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Paul: We each have our own favorites, of course... but we also have quite a few bands that we all love. The Ramones, Screeching Weasel and 50's/60's rock are definitely the biggest influence on the band as a whole. Beyond that, my three favorite bands are probably Off With Their Heads, Against Me!, and the Descendents.
Nasty: Rocket From the Crypt, Bad Religion, and Dillinger Four.
Carl: Pegboy, Dillinger Four, and Alkaline Trio.
Matt: Bad Religion, NOFX, and the Mr. T. Experience.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Paul: Any of the bands we listed as influences would be a dream come true.
Also- Teenage Bottlerocket, Masked Intruder, The Copyrights, Banner Pilot, Dear Landlord, Mixtapes, Chixdiggit, and Iron Chic would make
this list now just because we limited ourselves to three bands a piece in the previous question.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Paul: Pizza. No question.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Nasty: Because they deserve to be happy.
Matt: Because Goonies never say die.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Paul: This is a tough one. Punk rockers shouldn't really admit to liking sports, should they? That being said, most folks in the Twin Cities do seem to support the MN Twins for some reason. Even the punks. We'll have to go with one of them... and... I guess the most punk rock choice is probably Jack Morris.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Paul: Unless we make a deal with Satan...this is too funny to even think about.
Carl: There is no way I would even go to pick it up.
Matt: Hops, Malt, and Barley. Alcohol and Nicotine.
Nasty: What Paul said.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Nasty: I would make it easier for the local record shop to survive and hopefully thrive.
Paul: Yeah… I collect cds. I have lots of them. I buy them from mail-order. I buy them at concerts. I buy them at the few remaining records stores I know of. I wish more people did this, so more stores existed. I wish downloading songs would fade from popularity because I think bands make a lot less money off their art now, and it probably keeps them working day jobs when they could be coming to my town on tour.
Matt: Get rid of auto-tune for vocalists.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Paul: Carl had an extremely unlucky 12 hours on an early mini-tour. Halfway to the gig...his car totally died. When our set was over, he broke his foot badly unloading gear. In order to still help out, he stood in the parking lot holding the door for us. When we were all done, we realized he had been standing in a puddle of vomit the whole time. So far, no one has beat that.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Paul: AP.net is the best place for us to find like-minded bands around the country. It helps us find people to gig with on tours and then lets us help them out when they come through our part of the country.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Paul: "Monster." It's an old song that's boring at practice, but fun at shows because people always sing along.
Nasty: “Bags of Money.”
Matt: “More Chicka Chicka, Less Neener Neener.”
Carl: "Wookin’ Pa Nub," which is one of our newest songs...it reminds me of a Lily Liver song that I love but can no longer find.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Nasty: Bora Bora.
Matt: Esccondido.
Paul: I have never left the country. I'd love to visit Ireland someday. My favorite place I've actually been to is probably Colorado.
Carl: my parent's cabin in Northern Minnesota.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Paul: My dad had an 8-track of Tom T. Hall that he listened to every day. He also liked Janis Joplin. My mom liked Herman's and Frankie Avalon. The first tape I ever bought was a Jan and Dean / Beach Boys split cassette when I was probably nine or ten.
Carl: My parents listened to old country, and my older brother listened to '80s hair metal, so both of those genres take me back.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Paul: Jedi Powers. Specifically the Jedi Mind trick. These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Carl: I can communicate with animals; so I guess I already have one super power, which I would not give up. However, I can't really tell the animals what do, like Aquaman, so I'm not sure if it could be classified as a "super" power. If I could choose another super power it would probably be Teleportation...I hate driving, and I'm clumsy and reckless enough that walking or running can often lead to bodily harm...hmmm, maybe I should choose super agility.
Paul: Teleportation would be sweet. I’m tempted to change my answer.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Paul: Use the restroom.
Carl: I like to make sure my guitar is in tune.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Carl: See question 15.
Paul: I often get so excited on stage that I head-butt the microphone for no reason at all. It's not planned, and I don't do it at every show, but it does happen from time to time, and it kind of weirds me out.

18. AP: What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Carl: I have never found radio, either web or AM/FM, to be a reliable source to find new music, or an efficient way to listen to music that I like, and therefore I am unsure if it is a place where our band could flourish. That being said, I would consider it a huge success if we got a dozen new fans because they heard one of our songs on some random web radio station...so it kind of depends on your definition of "flourish."
Paul: I don't care for the mainstream radio stations in MN, and the college station is pretty much unlistenable except for the two hour punk show that airs once per week. I have a long commute to work and usually just bring cds. Sometimes I listen to Slacker Radio on my phone. I can sort of get into that model (based on choice and preference) and I have found a few decent online stations. Old school radio, however, can go the way of the dinosaur.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Paul: I would like to paint and ride my bike…but what I actually do is laundry and dishes.
Carl: Build forts out of couch cushions and blankets.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Paul: Nasty can do the worm.
Carl: Not only can Nasty do the worm, he can do it covered in baby oil and wearing a chip n dales outfit.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version