Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 21 of 21.
03:23 PM on 04/28/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Bought this and Ingrid Michaelson this week, your reviews are shaping my musical tastes. I'm a sucker for a well-written pop tune!

Haha, glad I could help!

real nice review. album's great, gets better every listen.

"Alive" finally clicked for me over the weekend. I had gotten so attached to the stripped down live version (I even cover it) that I wasn't ready for the bells and whistles. It's a really great song.

I didn't listen to the live version a lot before this came out, so that might be why I had no problem falling in love with the new version. But I think they're both great.
04:38 PM on 04/28/14
kmilongo
Circuitry of the wolf.
User Info.
Great album. Definitely a grower.
05:54 PM on 04/28/14
Hamburglar
Jeff
User Info.
The body of work compiled by this band legitimately covers the full extent of my musical tastes. I grew up with the broody piano ballads of Counting Crows; These guys can do that. I spent much of my youth in the backseat of my parents' car listening to Tom Petty songs; these guys can do that. Grew to love the twangy alt-country of Ryan Adams; oh, Dan is a master of that as well. I say it often and I'll say it again- Dan Layus is one of the most talented figures in music.

And it blows my mind that they can bust out these simple, straight-forward, heart-on-a-sleeve pop rock songs....and they're perfect. Nobody else is making music like this. I think it takes balls to make music like this.
06:54 PM on 04/28/14
carcrashofahart
climb is all we know
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
thank you for saying that their self-titled album wasn't as shitty as everyone made it out to be! although, dan not making that augustana's last batch of songs makes me so unbelievably happy. anyway, this album is worthy of several spins. it's such a grower.
07:08 AM on 04/29/14
derekjd
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm totally digging this album right now. Fantastic review -- I knew you'd be the one to review this. The best parts for the album for me, like he said in his interview, is how he didn't focus on glossy vocals but put more emotion in. Bridge of Youth is Wasted, for example -- it's gritty and iperfect but shows his meaning and conviction to what he's singing, and I love it. I've been getting more into Born in the USA and Boys and Girls in America, and they both (moreso the Hold Steady) do the same thing.
The vocalist mentioned looking at a new Americana album -- what are your thoughts on that? Something more like Love in the Air, but with more substance?
11:21 AM on 04/30/14
grimis16
User Info.
After 5 or 6 listens through I still stand by my first conclusion...worst album of their collection. I do really like the songs "Say You Want Me", "According to Play", and "Remember Me". "Alive", and "I Really Think So" are alright, but that's only 5 of 12 (including the bonus tracks) that I enjoy.

I absolutely hate "Fit Together", it reminds me of a shitty lame Journey song, yuck. Not a fan of the chorus of "Ash and Ember", and the cornyness of "Youth is Wasted on the Young" makes me feel like the lame 31 year old that I am.

Pretty disappointed.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News