Username
Password
Triple Crown Records News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Triple Crown Records
Inside AP.net

Another Day, Another Emo Revival Roundtable

Posted by: Blake Solomon (04/29/14)
Ian Cohen of Pitchfork has interviewed Evan Weiss of Into It. Over It. and Greg and Derek from The World Is... about why they can't tour with Parquet Courts and things like being on the Carson Daly show.
These kind of concerns are part of what Weiss alluded to in that tweet—that the term “emo” is bad for business. Or at least that it can limit the prospective audience. This is nothing new: As Shanholtzer says, “One of the most overlooked things is this was originally tagged as ‘post-emo indie rock.’ When the Get Up Kids and Promise Ring got popular, people were talking about emo in indie media circuits, so [those bands] were saying ‘We should call ourselves indie rock, because I don’t want to hear that word again, I don’t want another news piece, I don’t want to be a roundtable discussion

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
11:52 AM on 04/29/14
llluminate
User Info.
Cool to see pitchfork giving our scene some more attention
11:57 AM on 04/29/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
I WROTE ABOUT THIS FIRST,WHATKJKA OASJAX! alksdl1 GIVEMECREDIT!!!!!!!!!!! Tweetrampage!

12:02 PM on 04/29/14
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
I actually would love a IIOI and Parquet Courts tour.
12:03 PM on 04/29/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I WROTE ABOUT THIS FIRST,WHATKJKA OASJAX! alksdl1 GIVEMECREDIT!!!!!!!!!!! Tweetrampage!

i went running in my Into It Over It t-shirt the other day and was half expecting a reporter to jump out of the bushes and ask how long i've been "digging emo"
12:09 PM on 04/29/14
Timekeeper
Writer
User Info.
Cool to see pitchfork giving our scene some more attention
Agreed. A lot of it seems to be coming from Ian personally, but hey - it's awesome. Seeing Fireworks backed by Pitchfork a few weeks ago was a delight, too.
12:12 PM on 04/29/14
mattpuch21
Puchinator
User Info.
I think this is one of the best things Pitchfork could have posted. They have a massive audience (one that seems to be extremely close-minded as well), so this could definitely be an eye opener for many people who visit their site regularly.

Another great thing is that it addresses the issue at hand. Like when they point out that they probably won't ever be able to tour with Parquet Courts but the fact that Andrew Savage used to be in Teenage Cool Kids and it would be easier to tour with them. There is this weird divide between genres and even between music sites. Think of the audiences of Stereogum, Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, Spin, Sputnikmusic, here, etc. There is so much separation.

And that's why I really appreciate AbsolutePunk because you guys are open minded and well rounded. You'll cover almost anything (even though a lot of smaller indie stuff will go without much interaction). Yeah, posting about Brand New might get you the most comments and traffic, but it's not all that you talk about.

Oh, and now Brand New is playing with Modest Mouse. Crazy stuff.
12:30 PM on 04/29/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
good shit.
01:07 PM on 04/29/14
Hartriant
retrieving steps until we get there
User Info.
glad to see his hard work really starts to paid off after all this time. best luck for evan.
01:09 PM on 04/29/14
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
I don't like his writing style (for reviews) but I'm starting to like him a lot
01:54 PM on 04/29/14
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
cool article
02:20 PM on 04/29/14
jonwangcb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I wonder if this means that when Brand New releases an album, Pitchfork will cover it. And I wonder if that means Pitchfork will finally realize what a horrible mistake they've made in ignoring them for the last decade.
02:25 PM on 04/29/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
I wonder if this means that when Brand New releases an album, Pitchfork will cover it. And I wonder if that means Pitchfork will finally realize what a horrible mistake they've made in ignoring them for the last decade.
my thoughts: yes and maybe, unless the album is bad (lol, i know)
06:02 PM on 04/29/14
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
Agreed. A lot of it seems to be coming from Ian personally, but hey - it's awesome. Seeing Fireworks backed by Pitchfork a few weeks ago was a delight, too.
The Hotelier, too. Sick band.
10:43 PM on 04/29/14
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I think this is one of the best things Pitchfork could have posted. They have a massive audience (one that seems to be extremely close-minded as well), so this could definitely be an eye opener for many people who visit their site regularly.

Another great thing is that it addresses the issue at hand. Like when they point out that they probably won't ever be able to tour with Parquet Courts but the fact that Andrew Savage used to be in Teenage Cool Kids and it would be easier to tour with them. There is this weird divide between genres and even between music sites. Think of the audiences of Stereogum, Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, Spin, Sputnikmusic, here, etc. There is so much separation.

And that's why I really appreciate AbsolutePunk because you guys are open minded and well rounded. You'll cover almost anything (even though a lot of smaller indie stuff will go without much interaction). Yeah, posting about Brand New might get you the most comments and traffic, but it's not all that you talk about.

Oh, and now Brand New is playing with Modest Mouse. Crazy stuff.

Pitchfork's audience isn't that closed minded. They like whatever Pitchfork tells them to like, and also a few of the popular indie bands that Pitchfork tries to make them dismiss, such as Alt-J.

Chances are probably 50-50. Cohen mentioned Devil and God as a landmark in his Balance and Composure review. On the other hand, once Pitchfork stops reviewing a band they rarely start again. And they already reviewed Deja. Happened with Jimmy Eat World (gave them bad reviews until Chase This Light which they ignored, and they have ignored everything since) and Lucero (stopped reviewing them as soon as they jumped to a major).

The Hotelier, too. Sick band.

Agreed, and Cohen's review was pretty spot on for that record. It's like he wants to give all his favourite emo/pop-punk records great reviews and writes them with an 8.8 in mind, then drops the number so Pitchfork doesn't have to give it a BNM (that way it will get published).

A few months ago when I suggested Pitchfork could review The Wonder Years a lot of people said it would never happen and made me feel like an idiot. But I was just pointing out that Cohen was really into them. These days I would be very surprised if he didn't review the next Wonder Years record.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests