AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 192
06:34 PM on 04/30/14
Ryan Dennehy
I feel like there are valid criticisms of Beyonce but that is not one of them. Actually, one of my teachers teaches a black feminism class where she apparently drags Beyonce and I kinda wanna take it and see what she has to say. I've talked to some feminists about the sexualization of popstars and they make a couple points against it that at least lead to good discussion, but calling someone a slut is not the way to go. Either way it's limiting the choices of women and it's annoying. Feels like we can never win tbh
it all really depends on your interpretation of sex positivity, and also, i guess, whether you think bey's framing of such in marriage (a patriarchy's institution) is a conservative, patriarchical act
06:34 PM on 04/30/14
eriatarka24
User Info.
I've talked to some feminists about the sexualization of popstars and they make a couple points against it that at least lead to good discussion, but calling someone a slut is not the way to go. Either way it's limiting the choices of women and it's annoying. Feels like we can never win tbh
Yeah. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with hypersexualization in music. You can discuss sex and/or be sexual in regards to music but it also can be expressed in different ways. It's OK to not like it and at least explain why. But the severity and the aggression in the choice of words and phrasing here just seemed more condescending and rude than anything. They can't be taken seriously if they talk like that.
06:38 PM on 04/30/14
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
it all really depends on your interpretation of sex positivity, and also, i guess, whether you think bey's framing of such in marriage (a patriarchy's institution) is a conservative, patriarchical act
I do think it largely comes down to views on sex positivity. I side eye some things on her album and I don't agree with Beyonce's feminism all the time and I think she's open to criticism just like everyone else (despite some acting like she's the queen who can do no wrong), but there's a way to have this discussion without calling someone a slut and Warpaint failed to actually say anything interesting or worthy of discussion. It's really telling that they just resorted to sexist language (or Theresa, I suppose, since it's her interview).
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
YEESH
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
What is the point of getting outraged over words? Who honestly cares about this?
06:39 PM on 04/30/14
kianacarly
User Info.
Yeah. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with hypersexualization in music. You can discuss sex and/or be sexual in regards to music but it also can be expressed in different ways. It's OK to not like it and at least explain why. But the severity and the aggression in the choice of words and phrasing here just seemed more condescending and rude than anything. They can't be taken seriously if they talk like that.
ia
06:40 PM on 04/30/14
Ryan Dennehy
I do think it largely comes down to views on sex positivity. I side eye some things on her album and I don't agree with Beyonce's feminism all the time and I think she's open to criticism just like everyone else (despite some acting like she's the queen who can do no wrong), but there's a way to have this discussion without calling someone a slut and Warpaint failed to actually say anything interesting or worthy of discussion. It's really telling that they just resorted to sexist language (or Theresa, I suppose, since it's her interview).
yeah, there's a conversation to be had about it all. i'm a very unabashed fan of her, but even i recognize the shortcomings in her particular brand of feminism..."ban bossy" or whatever comes to mind
06:41 PM on 04/30/14
bigmouthmonstr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Warpaint is awesome but they're throwing hella shade.....
06:42 PM on 04/30/14
Who Is Ryan?
???
User Info.

The Hive and Navy be coming for yo ass
06:46 PM on 04/30/14
SuchAPerson22
bert macklin, FBI
User Info.
What is the point of getting outraged over words? Who honestly cares about this?

Words shape everything we know and understand. Actions are important and obviously have impact, but we even explain those with words.
06:49 PM on 04/30/14
kianacarly
User Info.
06:49 PM on 04/30/14
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.

Words shape everything we know and understand. Actions are important and obviously have impact, but we even explain those with words.
This sounds like some tear away daily calendar horseshit.

I doubt Beyonce and her net worth give a damn what this chick has to say
06:50 PM on 04/30/14
Polynoise
ZeroCool
User Info.
For realzzz dude. Fuck words. Words is asshole.
06:51 PM on 04/30/14
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
yikes.
06:51 PM on 04/30/14
morgantayler
We are all Tatiana Maslany.
User Info.
She definitely could have gone have about that a different way and not called her a slut.

Also, one person's opinion doesn't necessarily reflect the other members views on this subject.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos