Username
Password
Drama News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 192.
06:56 PM on 04/30/14
SuchAPerson22
bert macklin, FBI
User Info.
This sounds like some tear away daily calendar horseshit.

I doubt Beyonce and her net worth give a damn what this chick has to say

Well at least a tearaway calendar has something insightful to offer, unlike your ignorant spew.

Beyonce may not care, but that isn't even the point.
06:57 PM on 04/30/14
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
07:01 PM on 04/30/14
BrucexLee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yes she does need to do that because it creates sex vibes and sex sells.

If she was singing about being a prude then I'm sure not as many people would have bought her album. This generation wants mainstream musicians/artist who give off a sex vibe.

"Slut" is a bad word of choice though.
07:03 PM on 04/30/14
BrucexLee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I feel like there are valid criticisms of Beyonce but that is not one of them. Actually, one of my teachers teaches a black feminism class where she apparently drags Beyonce and I kinda wanna take it and see what she has to say. I've talked to some feminists about the sexualization of popstars and they make a couple points against it that at least lead to good discussion, but calling someone a slut is not the way to go. Either way it's limiting the choices of women and it's annoying. Feels like we can never win tbh

Black feminism? I knew there were feminist classes but now they are race specific? Is there enough feminist stuff that should only be focused on black women to make up an entire course of study?
07:04 PM on 04/30/14
seanwaits
Let It Happen / Sean
User Info.
These comments, must have taken a toll on her.
07:08 PM on 04/30/14
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Black feminism? I knew there were feminist classes but now they are race specific? Is there enough feminist stuff that should only be focused on black women to make up an entire course of study?
Yes, because white feminists often speak over woc feminists (whether or not they mean to) so it's important for woc to have a place to discuss their issues since what they experience is vastly different than that of white feminists. Before these classes you had many upper class white women leading the discussions on feminism and talking about their issues, often neglecting woc. It's also a space for woc to read black feminist literature. Like bell hooks alone could have an entire course of study tbh
07:13 PM on 04/30/14
Ricketts
@allenricketts
User Info.
What is the point of getting outraged over words? Who honestly cares about this?

Narcissistic tumblr-ites with zero social value.
07:13 PM on 04/30/14
BrucexLee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yes, because white feminists often speak over woc feminists (whether or not they mean to) so it's important for woc to have a place to discuss their issues since what they experience is vastly different than that of white feminists. Before these classes you had many upper class white women leading the discussions on feminism and talking about their issues, often neglecting woc. It's also a space for woc to read black feminist literature. Like bell hooks alone could have an entire course of study tbh

Well....looks like I have learned something tonight.
07:19 PM on 04/30/14
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.

Just wanted to say that you're really articulate without being rude or condescending, and I think that's awesome.

Pretty disappointed by this, though. It sucks that people feel the need to be so abrasive when making a point, especially like this.
07:22 PM on 04/30/14
noodledancer
i swear i'll never let you go.
User Info.
I can't say I'm a fan of either Beyonce or Warpaint, but using the word "slut" was definitely poor form. At the same time, I'm weary of how even legitimately talented women in pop music eventually go down the rabbit hole of expressing "female empowerment" via overt sexuality & not much else.
07:23 PM on 04/30/14
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
Classy. Such a shame that a band that could be empowering women is actually shaming them for embracing their sexuality.
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Just wanted to say that you're really articulate without being rude or condescending, and I think that's awesome.

Pretty disappointed by this, though. It sucks that people feel the need to be so abrasive when making a point, especially like this.
ty! I usually feel like I'm really inarticulate actually so that's nice to hear haha.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
User Info.
Well, so what? Let the woman sing and act how she wants. You're not her mom.
07:26 PM on 04/30/14
OnLettingGo
User Info.
Beyoncé is in a monogomous marriage...
Not that she should be slut shamed even if she wasn't, but she's literally making songs about her reality which include her sexuality within her marriage. If that makes someone uncomfortable to the point where they must attack her, then that says a lot about their discomfort with sexuality.

and to anyone who is dismissing any discourse surrounding this article, if warpaint wants to spread their perspective on topics like this then is expect that people will want to talk about it. It might seem inconsequential to some people, but the divide between white feminism and WoC actually has incredibly real consequences. Don't dismiss or try to invalidate the reality of other people just because it doesn't affect you personally or prevalently.
07:32 PM on 04/30/14
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
Oh boy.
I'm not one to call, or support, using the word "slut", but I do agree with her sentiment that both Rihanna and Beyonce are incredibly talented individuals and could be using said talents to create some more forward thinking, exciting music. They're on the right track, but both still play it pretty safe.

On a related note, I finally got around to listening to the new Warpaint record earlier this week - incredible. Easily one of my favorites of the year.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests