AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Loop Minded Individuals - A Hitchhiker's Guide To... Album Cover

Loop Minded Individuals - A Hitchhiker's Guide To...

Reviewed by
Loop Minded Individuals - A Hitchhiker's Guide To A Verse
Record Label: I Had An Accident
Release Date: April 22, 2014
Esh the Monolith and Intrikit, two producers / MCs from Boston and Connecticut respectively, collaborate as Loop Minded Individuals. The debut release A Hitchhiker's Guide To A Verse features a different up and coming MC on each track. The revolving door of underground rappers and guest DJ's slapping vinyl creates a well integrated 90s style rap mixtape.

Esh the Monolith and Intrikit curate 10 tracks that flow cohesively throughout the album. The stage is set for a spiritual journey the listener experiences as each MC tells their story. The opening track calls out "Are you with me? Are any of you built for traveling?" Moe Pope, Roc Doogie, and Elucid build the stage around a rolling drum beat on "War Drum." Imagine sitting around a room with a bunch of people that have been around, picking up your pen to start to frantically take note of who is in the room - you jot down the stories they tell, trade laughs and puff twice and pass to the right. "He's a real go getter" deebee exclaims about a friend from way back. Someone quickly quiets the room: "oh just for a moment," something comes on the radio, a solid beat, a breakdown, and then in walks Teddy Faley, he points to Selfsays and he slowly states his story.

A Hitchhiker's Guide To A Verse may feature the underground of hip hop, but the beats are well produced; the album comes off hard but polished. You can easily compare this to contemporary rap albums, like anything Aesop Rock may be doing, or you can raise the bar even more. I wouldn't mind hearing more from each of these artists. With Esh The Monolith and Intrikit's production value, the album is so well connected, you forget you are listening to a mixtape. Each artist takes each track and makes it their own yet remain in-depth within the album itself. The theme is weaved between each track. The stories sound so real; the rappers create their own vibe that bounce between each other. Its a beautiful sound. Lyrically the stories are relatable; one can put themselves in the MC's shoes. This separates this from the mainstream. This is how rap used to be. It's that Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Biz Markie, Public Enemy sound. I don't know, if you are reminiscent of how rap used to sound, if you are into good music, Loop Minded Individuals is where you want to be. With a release on cassette tape you can really feel the retro appeal of this release. I love that this album came out on cassette tape. The retro feel of having the physical format fit into my pocket and the grit sound coming across my Walkman! This is so fun.

Recommended If You Likerap; hip hop; Public Enemy; Run DMC; Beastie Boys; mix tapes; cassettes

http://ihadanaccident.bandcamp.com/a...ide-to-a-verse
This review is a user submitted review from AttAss. You can see all of AttAss's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version