AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Property of Zack News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Foxy Shazam Frontman Discusses 'Gonzo,' Hereditary Mental Illness In...

Posted by - 01:18 PM on 05/05/14
Foxy Shazam frontman Eric McNally talks about his band's new, free surprise album Gonzo, what that word means to him, and about the history of mental illness in his family which inspired a lot of this record. The interview gets pretty personal; you can check out a snippet below and read it in full here.
For me, gonzo isÖ I feel like my dad has lost his mind a little bit. Like, since I was a kid, I just feel like my dadís lost his mind. And I think thatís been something thatís hereditary in our family. I think ďgonzo,Ē for me, is my fear of what I mightÖ Itís like me applying my dad to myself, and my band and my career and everything. Just imagining. Or really being fearful of whatís to come. ... Nobody in my family will really talk about it. Itís something thatís always been extremely private. The part about it that really messes me up is that Iíve always looked up to my dad. Heís been the thing inside me, where Iíve always been like ďok, I need to channel my dad.Ē Like, onstage, if youíve seen Foxy live, all the antics and everything in between songs, thatís all inspired from my dad. Iíve always looked to him, Iíve always channeled my dad as being my uniqueness. What I hold in myself to be my special thing that sets me apart from everybody. And then when I got home from the Church Of Rock And Roll [Tour], and being gone for so long, I saw him again, and it was likeÖ Whatever it was I saw before that was inspiring me now became a threat. Or more, like, scary. I just didnít get it. It almost made me think the thing Iíve been channeling this whole time is actually not good for me.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
01:34 PM on 05/05/14
Fox83
User Info.
Their new album kind of bored me, but I respect their effort. Interesting insight nonetheless.
01:37 PM on 05/05/14
Loveisa4lttrwrd
stuff
User Info.
Nally. Not McNally.
01:57 PM on 05/05/14
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Very interesting. I always wondered. Seeing them live was awesome. He's very eccentric. Ate a whole cigarette on stage cause someone said he couldn't smoke it during their set.

As you can tell it really stuck with me haha.
02:05 PM on 05/05/14
thisisalchemy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Very interesting. I always wondered. Seeing them live was awesome. He's very eccentric. Ate a whole cigarette on stage cause someone said he couldn't smoke it during their set.

He's done that at every show I've seen, or light a whole pack in his mouth at once.
02:10 PM on 05/05/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
I really like the new record, but haven't come back to listen to it, since it first came out...so I am not sure how to feel about that. I'll just attribute it to having a bunch of other stuff in my listening queue right now.
02:13 PM on 05/05/14
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.

Bamboozle?
02:57 PM on 05/05/14
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
haha I could only wish to make it out to bamboozle.

It was a local show in Abq. They sounded awesome as hell live, and were really fun to watch. It was i think the tour with Scary Kids and Finch as support. Scary Kids farewell tour.
04:34 PM on 05/05/14
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
Wow great interview. Got really deep there at the end. Excellent questions asked. I listened to Gonzo when it first dropped and wasn't impressed but I'm gonna give it another go
07:31 PM on 05/05/14
JGG
User Info.
For those of you who haven't really gotten into the album, give it a listen after reading this interview and pay special attention to the lyrics.
07:38 PM on 05/05/14
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
Gonzo is one of the only things I want to listen to right now, it's a massive grower.

Listen to it loud.

Awesome interview.
08:13 PM on 05/05/14
Clockwise
Running on Fruit Snacks
User Info.
Great interview. GONZO is my favorite Foxy album.
08:28 PM on 05/05/14
tiny vessels
User Info.
Yeah, was pretty confused when I read that ha.
11:56 AM on 05/06/14
odoroustobacco
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Would love it to be like their S/T.
12:28 AM on 05/24/14
sargentlgfuad
Glass boy
User Info.
this album has grown so much on me, and is so fucking good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos