AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Record Sales News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Record Sales
Inside AP.net

America's Biggest Vinyl Pressing Plant Is...

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (05/05/14)
Right after the boom that Record Store Day provided the vinyl industry, The Tennessean reports that Nashville-based United Records, currently the country's largest vinyl pressing plant, will expand its operations to the tune of adding 16 new presses (they currently have 30) in a brand-new warehouse. The expansion will run the plant $5.5 million.
The expansion plans come amid growing demand from vinyl enthusiasts. "Our belief is that it's being driven by the rise in digital," said Jay Millar, United Record's director of marketing. "People who want something tangible and the best sound quality and experience are going to vinyl as opposed to CDs." Millar said the 30 presses at the company's current location at 453 Chestnut St. in Nashville are operating 24 hours, six days a week. United Record will continue to operate from that location -- the largest record pressing plant in the country --- along with the new building, he said.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
02:39 PM on 05/05/14
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Good

(Tho most ppl I know don't use them)
02:41 PM on 05/05/14
frenchatticus
"Capitalism is killing music."
User Info.
nice
02:44 PM on 05/05/14
Amongster
Still On The Sand
User Info.
Sweet. I think we're all in favour of easing production.
02:59 PM on 05/05/14
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
wonder if this bubble will burst?
03:02 PM on 05/05/14
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
this is cool--any kind of growth in the industry is welcomed
03:04 PM on 05/05/14
hoosierbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but wouldn't the ~50% increase in their productivity, couldn't this potentially lower prices?
03:22 PM on 05/05/14
FueledByFrodo
@alexmnorthrup/@inorganicrecs
User Info.
Rad, this is who I'm using
03:47 PM on 05/05/14
zildjian
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but wouldn't the ~50% increase in their productivity, couldn't this potentially lower prices?
We can only hope!!!

Although, i dont think it will. It will just be to cope with the increased demand for vinyl. I can't see the economies of scale savings being passed through to the customer. It will hopefully help cut the horror stories that the smaller labels have getting their stuff pressed.
03:50 PM on 05/05/14
hoosierbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
We can only hope!!!

Although, i dont think it will. It will just be to cope with the increased demand for vinyl. I can't see the economies of scale savings being passed through to the customer. It will hopefully help cut the horror stories that the smaller labels have getting their stuff pressed.
Right on. I don't think records are too pricey for the most part, nothing like CDs were in the mid to late nineties. The dude who owns my local skate shop said he started collecting records because in the 90s, a record was usually at least 5 bucks cheaper.
04:01 PM on 05/05/14
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
this is a risky move...
yes, vinyl purchases are increasing...but almost all entertainment is in the process of elminating physical media distribution.
05:09 PM on 05/05/14
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Not a stupid question at all. I hope it does. I don't mind the price of some records, being that most come with a digital download nowadays. I like collecting records, but if it helps with dropping prices, I'm all for it. My wallet could use the help.
05:12 PM on 05/05/14
hoosierbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not a stupid question at all. I hope it does. I don't mind the price of some records, being that most come with a digital download nowadays. I like collecting records, but if it helps with dropping prices, I'm all for it. My wallet could use the help.
No shit. I've spent about $500 on records this spring. Even a 10% price difference would be fucking awesome.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests