Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 28 of 28
11:44 AM on 05/06/14
iamalexenglish
Loading ███] 99%
User Info.
why does it even matter
It matters but they would do it anyway so…
12:21 PM on 05/06/14
gatoraid666
User Info.
01:19 PM on 05/06/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
why does it even matter
because it's nice when bands can actually play their own instruments
02:08 PM on 05/06/14
BrendanMachow
User Info.
Great just what we need, more kids shelling out money just to make the same sounding recordings as each other that sound absolutely terrible. When put to good use it comes out ok, but if I had a dollar for every mix I've heard with a chango snare or sturgis pod farm preset that was purchased by a kid thinking he has it all figured out by just loading them up, I'd be able to buy a few copies of this.
02:09 PM on 05/06/14
BrendanMachow
User Info.
Also, don't get me wrong, I like what the man does. He's an intelligent individual and he's going to be making loads of money off this. I just hate hearing the same awful recordings with a shot gun snare drum.
02:23 PM on 05/06/14
gatoraid666
User Info.
Also, don't get me wrong, I like what the man does. He's an intelligent individual and he's going to be making loads of money off this. I just hate hearing the same awful recordings with a shot gun snare drum.
I agree! Also his mixes are like a wall of condensed sound. Sounds like nothing has an opportunity to breathe. I respect his ambition, but he's so set in his ways with recording like a formula. Seems like he doesn't let the artist shine or maybe he's just producing all the same bullshit bands.
02:34 PM on 05/06/14
BrendanMachow
User Info.
I agree! Also his mixes are like a wall of condensed sound. Sounds like nothing has an opportunity to breathe. I respect his ambition, but he's so set in his ways with recording like a formula. Seems like he doesn't let the artist shine or maybe he's just producing all the same bullshit bands.
I read somewhere that he'd love to get into recording other artists due to being tired of doing the same old thing over and over. I think he just makes good money with these up and coming metal acts that are 18-20 years old just trying to get his name on their record.
04:07 PM on 05/06/14
The Meech
User Info.
because it's nice when bands can actually play their own instruments
let me guess, you think electronic music isn't real cause a computer isn't a real instrument
07:57 PM on 05/06/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
let me guess, you think electronic music isn't real cause a computer isn't a real instrument
Nope, I love electronic music.....rock bands need to play their own instruments IMO
11:48 PM on 05/06/14
monokit
Twiddling knobs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Don't like posting on here but ALL these sample libraries sound AWFUL and should be avoided like the plague, when I say awful, I don't mean in solo'd out clips of drums, in that context they're always flattering like that attractive girl at the bar who after bringing home you learn has an attachment style that can only be described by muted grunting from your chair to which to you're bound. Try bringing these up in a mix and you will (or should) immediately hear something horrifically gross and utterly repulsive to the point of vomitting. NOBODY WORTH THEIR NUTSACK USES THESE. If you disagree, that's fine, I'm not Joey Sturgis, CLA or Steven Slate. I have owned sample library after sample library, I do know some very talented people who make them SING but for what it's worth, I'll take a hardhitting (read: Rimshot, not pussy hard center hits) drummer who can stay on the click and ANY kit over triggers and Slate, Drums from Hell, BFD or whatever goofy ass software app.

This is NOT to insult Joey Sturgis at all, he is a great talent. His new clipper and vocal compression plugins are great sounding but the whole line 6 pod farm, sturgis/slate samples, compress it until it's white noise thing is gonna be fucking DEAD in a year, or at least I can hope. I'm by no means a purist and use samples all the time but NEVER something stock, if you must sample for whatever reason be it bleed, dynamics, a goofed hit or to fix a bad hitter (never fun) take a couple of clean hits of each drum in tracking and make your own samples so the kit still feels cohesive.

PS) A huge part of Joey Sturgis's sound comes from Clipping his drum bus with a free plugin called Gclip, don't believe me? From the man himself, along with a massive thread about his techniques. Enjoy. http://www.gearslutz.com/board/5373745-post46.html
11:22 AM on 05/07/14
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
was gonna say I wouldnt even piratebay this based on the way his percussion sounds on the bands he records. the clips in the vid sounded interesting though. from this I can conclude the bands he records could have achieved something listenable with Joey but decided to request shitty tones instead
07:12 PM on 05/07/14
iamalexenglish
Loading ███] 99%
User Info.
Nope, I love electronic music.....rock bands need to play their own instruments IMO
Agreed, under most circumstances.
07:37 PM on 05/07/14
rino655
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agreed. Two other, perhaps even more successful guys (I've never heard anything Sturgis has done glancing at his Wiki) put these two out that've been pretty great.

THANK YOU! These are the real kings of mixing :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos