Password

Album Review

Pillow Talk - Recreational Feelings Album Cover

Pillow Talk - Recreational Feelings

Reviewed by
Pillow Talk - Recreational Feelings
Release Date: April 30, 2014
Record Label: Either/Or
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
This is one of those “don’t judge a book by its cover” moments. The first time I glimpsed the cover of Pillow Talk’s Recreational Feelings, my heart sank and I expected to be greeted with some Forever the Sickest Kids worshiping pop-rock record. And then I pressed play on a song called “Thinking of You.” But what I got was nothing like what I expected.

Pillow Talk’s style is extremely close to that of Balance and Composure, only more subdued. They have the same blend of thick, dark riffs and rough, shout-y vocals, but Pillow Talk make more sparing use of the latter, and come off as more accessible. It’s not hard to imagine Pillow Talk becoming a favorite around here. The band’s niche is in slow, lilting post-hardcore/grunge/indie-punk/whatever, exemplified in the opening third, “Thinking of You” and single-worthy “Never Made It Home.” The former is a grungy track with a lot of emphasis on sludgy guitar, while the second is catchier, a radio-ready song that’ll get your foot tapping before its first chorus – but by then you’re gone. I’ve had “flowers in a vase at second base/I never made it home with you” stuck in my head for days. The album takes a hit with “Caught Up,” a louder and more aggressive track which, while not necessarily bad, doesn’t suit the band as well as its predecessors.

“Selfless” opens the B-side quietly, before building up to a slightly more forceful chorus. Just as it dies down again the track falls apart, ragged yells audible in the background and the drums pounding away with abandon. It’s a nice way to transition to “Sara St.” It’s got this distinctive guitar line dancing behind every verse, and another anthemic chorus, but the song’s bridge is what elevates it, shifting from trancelike vocals to bright guitars and then back into a chorus. “Hide Your Smile” follows in much the same fashion as “Caught Up,” and as such, is a bit of a disappointing finish. These two songs aren’t bad, but are more typical, and do little to distinguish the group from B&C, Citizen, or Daylight. When the band turns things down, they sound different, and in this case, better. That’s likely in part to the production, which gives the EP a dark, haunting vibe, not unlike that of The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me.

Pillow Talk’s EP certainly displays a band who has blatant musical ability, and little to correct, really. They could afford to tone down on their aggression at times, but aside from that, Recreational Feelings is a wholly auspicious start to what will hopefully be a long-lived (and successful) musical career.

Recommended if you likeBalance and Composure’s The Things We Think We’re Missing; Manchester Orchestra’s Cope; Brand New’s The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me

7.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
04:36 PM on 05/10/14
Quijiba
User Info.
woah, those RIYL have me interested here
09:09 PM on 05/10/14
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
woah, those RIYL have me interested here
b&c is the most accurate; manorch is mainly for the thick/heavy guitarwork; the devil & god is mainly for vibes/production. check it out, definitely a pleasant surprise.
09:25 AM on 05/11/14
esperotic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ha, it always happens that the reviewers least favorite track is my favorite, I love the guitar tones and just the overall feel of 'Caught up'. It gives me a real Toad the Wet Sprocket 'Pale' era vibe. Im excited about what this band will produce later
03:06 PM on 05/11/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Ha, it always happens that the reviewers least favorite track is my favorite, I love the guitar tones and just the overall feel of 'Caught up'. It gives me a real Toad the Wet Sprocket 'Pale' era vibe. Im excited about what this band will produce later

I love TTWS but I definitely don't get that
04:55 PM on 05/11/14
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to near-carbon copy acts, but this is too close to the bone. One of these songs even starts off exactly like "Notice Me". Recording is strangely grainy for a Yip production and vocals are six-feet-deep buried, too.
05:58 PM on 05/11/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to near-carbon copy acts, but this is too close to the bone. One of these songs even starts off exactly like "Notice Me". Recording is strangely grainy for a Yip production and vocals are six-feet-deep buried, too.

That's why I like the slow quiet moments - they sound less like B&C. I think this sounds just like a Yip record, buried vocals is kinda his "thing" I thought
12:07 AM on 05/12/14
Calvin Lauber
User Info.
I do just wanna say, we released a demo version of "Never Made It Home" last june, that b&c record came out later in the year. Definitely not denying the similarity in the riffs but it was a coincidence. Thanks again for the review Zac.
03:58 PM on 05/12/14
esperotic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love TTWS but I definitely don't get that
If you listen to some songs on the Pale or Bread and Circus albums by TTWS, i think they use similar guitar tones. Take songs like "chile' or 'torn'. I know it's not dead on, but it was the first thing i thought of when i heard some of tracks off the pillow talk ep
05:04 PM on 05/12/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
If you listen to some songs on the Pale or Bread and Circus albums by TTWS, i think they use similar guitar tones. Take songs like "chile' or 'torn'. I know it's not dead on, but it was the first thing i thought of when i heard some of tracks off the pillow talk ep

Yeah, ok I can understand where you're coming from
06:54 AM on 08/18/14
kevintaylor
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You can also use therapeutic music which alters according to your sleep pattern and help you get a good night sleep by gently calming down your senses and decreasing hypertension and restlessness in your body by helping you relax and soothe your muscles.It is very apparent that musical pillow is a boon for those suffering from disturbed sleep patterns reasons are plenty but stress is the one that takes the cake. So it is common sense that if we stress out on a daily basis then we need to de-stress too on a daily basis to avoid more complex problems that arrive with it. Sound asleep pillow helps achieve this by detoxifying your emotions and relaxing your body inside out to help achieve the well deserved uninterrupted sound asleep. So its time to do something different and time to live happy life.

Thanks

sleepow

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests