AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Twitter News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Macklemore Responds to Costume Criticism

Posted by - 10:52 AM on 05/19/14
Macklemore has responded to the criticism of his recent costume on Twitter, "A fake witches nose, wig, and beard = random costume. Not my idea of a stereotype of anybody."

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 44
10:56 AM on 05/19/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
I realize it's cool to hate on Mack, but this whole freakout by the internet community, was ridiculous. Projecting racism is a scary thing.
11:05 AM on 05/19/14
speakhandsforme
no shame in impulse
User Info.
I realize it's cool to hate on Mack, but this whole freakout by the internet community, was ridiculous. Projecting racism is a scary thing.
Hmm, that's sounds like something a racist might say. Have you always hated Jews?

But, in all seriousness, it's not a big deal. the disguise did look pretty damn Jewish, but it's pretty obvious it wasn't intentional. Making of Jews is so not in today.
11:06 AM on 05/19/14
Swerve City
No labels
User Info.
Im MORE offended at the amount of people that find large witch noses to be Jew-like more than I am offended by his outfit.
11:09 AM on 05/19/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
That previous thread... and Macklemore's response... ridiculous. The Slog nailed it though: "Being told you did something racist, especially by members of a group that suffers from said racism, is not an invitation to take it personally and defend your intentions one way or the other. It's about taking a step back and evaluating whether your behavior is racist—if it results in discrimination or reinforces racial hierarchies or plays on ethnic tropes, for example."
11:11 AM on 05/19/14
mackieinva
waiting for the day
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
fuck all of this, more page views though so wooooo!
11:12 AM on 05/19/14
betweenvega
one two three fo fiffffffffffffffff
User Info.
Ugh I hate this fucking political correctness thing.

Even if he was making a Jew joke (and I am a Jew)... Is it really that big of a fucking deal? I'm not even a Macklemore fan, I think he's kinda lame.

I agree with the guy above that said projecting racism is a scary thing. The guy throws together a random costume, which may or may not have been a race-based joke, and the internet reacts like he threw up a Heil and sold Swastika t-shirts. You know there is actual, real, anti-semitism all around the world? If you're that passionate about anti-semitisim, focusing on Macklemore's potentially-maybe-a-little-racist costume isn't fucking helping anyone. But no one actually cares about anti-semitism, you all just want something to be offended about.
11:25 AM on 05/19/14
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
That previous thread... and Macklemore's response... ridiculous. The Slog nailed it though: "Being told you did something racist, especially by members of a group that suffers from said racism, is not an invitation to take it personally and defend your intentions one way or the other. It's about taking a step back and evaluating whether your behavior is racist—if it results in discrimination or reinforces racial hierarchies or plays on ethnic tropes, for example."

ia. I remember when Gabourney Sidibe made a joke or something referencing the word t***** and as soon as people called her out on it, she reevaluated what she said and gave a sincere apology about how she didn't mean to offend and didn't know it was offensive and that she was so sorry and wouldn't say it again. I respect her for that. I think a lot of people get defensive instead of thinking "hmm, if I've offended a large number of people from that group, maybe I should look deeper into my actions."

Ugh I hate this fucking political correctness thing.

Even if he was making a Jew joke (and I am a Jew)... Is it really that big of a fucking deal? I'm not even a Macklemore fan, I think he's kinda lame.

I agree with the guy above that said projecting racism is a scary thing. The guy throws together a random costume, which may or may not have been a race-based joke, and the internet reacts like he threw up a Heil and sold Swastika t-shirts. You know there is actual, real, anti-semitism all around the world? If you're that passionate about anti-semitisim, focusing on Macklemore's potentially-maybe-a-little-racist costume isn't fucking helping anyone. But no one actually cares about anti-semitism, you all just want something to be offended about.

... were people really equating it to those things? I didn't see anyone react like that, and if they did, I have a feeling it was not the majority of people who were annoyed at what he did. Most people were just calling him dumb and ignorant an irresponsible from what I saw.
11:32 AM on 05/19/14
shwaz499
User Info.
ia. I remember when Gabourney Sidibe made a joke or something referencing the word t***** and as soon as people called her out on it, she reevaluated what she said and gave a sincere apology about how she didn't mean to offend and didn't know it was offensive and that she was so sorry and wouldn't say it again. I respect her for that. I think a lot of people get defensive instead of thinking "hmm, if I've offended a large number of people from that group, maybe I should look deeper into my actions."

... were people really equating it to those things? I didn't see anyone react like that, and if they did, I have a feeling it was not the majority of people who were annoyed at what he did. Most people were just calling him dumb and ignorant an irresponsible from what I saw.
you really can't type the word tranny? if we're having a mature discussion then we can use the words without censoring ourselves.
11:33 AM on 05/19/14
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
Joke or not, I think Macklemore has demonstrated several times that he has the common sense of a pet rock. Who would have thought someone who looked to profit off of gay rights would be accidentally racist???
11:33 AM on 05/19/14
Swerve City
No labels
User Info.

Look again there is an article on Jerusalempost.com talking about everyone calling him an anti-Semite and numerous tweets from people and even celebrities calling him racist.
11:35 AM on 05/19/14
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
you really can't type the word tranny? if we're having a mature discussion then we can use the words without censoring ourselves.

I don't personally like using slurs no matter the context. idk how that effects you at all or why it would bother you

Look again there is an article on Jerusalempost.com talking about everyone calling him an anti-Smite and numerous tweets from people and even celebrities.

I'm not saying that didn't happen as extreme reactions happen with everything. I'm just saying idk if I agree that "the internet" aka the majority were saying that.
11:38 AM on 05/19/14
Ryan Dennehy
Im MORE offended at the amount of people that find large witch noses to be Jew-like more than I am offended by his outfit.
It's not that those people associate the characteristics with Jewish people. It's that they recognize those are frequently employed by anti Semites. There's a difference between knowing people use those caricatures and buying into them yourself.
11:39 AM on 05/19/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
Hmm, that's sounds like something a racist might say. Have you always hated Jews?

But, in all seriousness, it's not a big deal. the disguise did look pretty damn Jewish, but it's pretty obvious it wasn't intentional. Making of Jews is so not in today.
Heyyyy man! I am not racist! I hate everybody, equally!
11:43 AM on 05/19/14
SmileWithASmirk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Spot on. Sadly this is the type of attitude running rampantly through the music industry.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos