Username
Password
Drama News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Drama
Inside AP.net

Macklemore Apologizes For Disguise

Posted by: Jake Jenkins (05/20/14)
Following the controversy that surrounded the costume Macklemore wore at a recent surprise show, the rapper has posted an apology and explanation over on his website.
My intention was to dress up and surprise the people at the show with a random costume and nothing more. Thus, it was surprising and disappointing that the images of a disguise were sensationalized leading to the immediate assertion that my costume was anti-Semetic. I acknowledge how the costume could, within a context of stereotyping, be ascribed to a Jewish caricature. I am here to say that it was absolutely not my intention, and unfortunately at the time I did not foresee the costume to be viewed in such regard. Iím saddened that this story, or any of my choices, would lead to any form of negativity.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 159
07:54 AM on 05/20/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
ApologyFamily, friends and fans alike who know me well, know that I’m absolutely not the person described in certain headlines today. There is no worse feeling than being misunderstood, especially when people are hurt or offended.

On Friday night we had a surprise show at the EMP Museum in Seattle. Earlier in the day I thought it would be fun to dress up in a disguise and go incognito to the event, so that I could walk around unnoticed and surprise the crowd with a short performance. I picked up a bunch of fake mustaches and beards and grabbed a left over wig from our recent trip to Japan.

As it turns out the fake noses they sell at the costume store are usually big (my nose didn’t fit most of them). So I ended up with a big witch nose. I went with a black beard, because that’s the furthest color from my natural hair. Disguise was the intention. I personally thought I looked very ambiguous in terms of any “type” of person. Some people there thought I looked like Ringo, some Abe Lincoln. If anything I thought I looked like Humpty Hump with a bowl cut.

We showed up to the event, I hit the stage in the outfit, rocked two songs, took pictures and went home. We had a great time and it was fun to be a surprise guest in a costume. I’ve always loved dressing up and have been doing so my entire career. The character I dressed up as on Friday had no intended cultural identity or background. I wasn’t attempting to mimic any culture, nor resemble one. A “Jewish stereotype” never crossed my mind.

My intention was to dress up and surprise the people at the show with a random costume and nothing more. Thus, it was surprising and disappointing that the images of a disguise were sensationalized leading to the immediate assertion that my costume was anti-Semetic. I acknowledge how the costume could, within a context of stereotyping, be ascribed to a Jewish caricature. I am here to say that it was absolutely not my intention, and unfortunately at the time I did not foresee the costume to be viewed in such regard. I’m saddened that this story, or any of my choices, would lead to any form of negativity.

I will let my body of work and the causes for which I’ve supported speak for themselves. I hope that anyone who may question my intent take a few moments to discover the human and artist that I strive to be. I respect all cultures and all people. I would never intentionally put down anybody for the fabric that makes them who they are. I love human beings, love originality, and… happen to love a weird outfit from time to time.

I truly apologize to anybody that I may have offended. I hope this better explains the situation and my point of view.

With love,

Ben

PS - Out of a negative can come a positive. Through this situation I’ve got hip to some incredible groups like the ADL and I encourage people to check the great work they, and others like them, do: http://www.adl.org
07:55 AM on 05/20/14
mackieinva
waiting for the day
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Phew, good thing we got to the bottom of this.
08:01 AM on 05/20/14
thesinkingship
this boat is obviously sinking
User Info.
I feel like we're one step closer to worldwide peace
08:02 AM on 05/20/14
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
Gotta say, I believe him. I don't think that he walked into a costume shop with the idea of looking just like a jewish stereotype. That said, it's also surprising that no one in his crew thought to say something either. Oh well.
08:05 AM on 05/20/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
Who really knows if he did it on purpose or not but, for "a Jewish stereotype to never cross your mind" is a little hard to believe.

Especially in the world we live in today where EVERYTHING is scrutinized by everyone.
08:06 AM on 05/20/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
I genuinely believe that neither Macklemore or anyone in his crew is intelligent enough to make the stereotype connection.
08:07 AM on 05/20/14
gatoraid666
User Info.
Seriously, people have a f*king problem with everything I swear.
08:08 AM on 05/20/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
Seriously, people have a f*king problem with everything I swear.

did you really just censor yourself while bitching about people who complain about legitimate issues?
08:10 AM on 05/20/14
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
Who really knows if he did it on purpose or not but, for "a Jewish stereotype to never cross your mind" is a little hard to believe.

Especially in the world we live in today where EVERYTHING is scrutinized by everyone.
I was thinking about that quote from the "human barbie" or whatever where she talked about cross-breeding when this story popped up, actually. Well, mostly the fact that he said he grabbed 3 items and people said he was dressing as a jew. Every costume piece is likely made with something in mind, so there is really no possible way of not offending someone. At this point, if you use different characteristics, as he did, you will likely remind someone of someone somewhere.

I know that human barbie quote was a bad call, but I'll be honest when I say it wasn't my Biology classes that made me think of it. haha. Really though, I'm not calling out hypersensitive people OR defending anti-whatever groups, but this seems like it's going to continue causing problems.
08:15 AM on 05/20/14
gatoraid666
User Info.
did you really just censor yourself while bitching about people who complain about legitimate issues?
Haha if you truly believe this is a legitimate issue then you might as well watch Fox news
08:16 AM on 05/20/14
drewbaldy
phaynes1 sucks
User Info.
I can't believe this a thing
08:17 AM on 05/20/14
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Comes across as truly genuine, but like others said, it's hard to believe no one in his entire crew thought "hey man, just so you know, this costume makes you look like..."
08:19 AM on 05/20/14
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Hopefully this leads to no Macklenews for a while
08:20 AM on 05/20/14
gatoraid666
User Info.
Comes across as truly genuine, but like others said, it's hard to believe no one in his entire crew thought "hey man, just so you know, this costume makes you look like..."
Honestly, all it boils down to is the fact that Macklemore seems like a genuine guy and he wouldn't have done this if he would've known the outcome. Nobody would've nowadays. So there's that.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests