Password

Album Review

Adestria - Gilded Hearts Album Cover

Adestria - Gilded Hearts

Reviewed by
Adestria - Gilded Hearts
Record Label: Artery Recordings
Release Date: April 1, 2014
Adestria was a guilty pleasure of mine when their debut album, Chapters, came out more than two years ago. Their mix of heaviness, clean vocals, and technical influences were unique to me at the time. My tastes have matured the past two years to a need of more complex, unique bands. Because of this, I went into Adestria’s sophomore record, Gilded Hearts, with hope that they would push passed the breakdowns and create an album that would propel them beyond their peers. A flash in the pan effort, Gilded Hearts is more about style than substance and while my first couple of listens were enjoyable, this is not a record that has much longevity.

More a small step forward than a true evolution, Adestria hasn’t done much to move passed their previous effort, but what is here is appreciated. Putting a greater emphasis on their technical drum and guitar work in the vein of August Burns Red, After the Burial, and Architects (U.K), songs like “Children of the Machine” and “Shared Scars” shows a glimpse of what Adestria could be. Even a little influence from Every Time I Die is in the song “Uncommon Trash” where, compared to the rest of the album, things get vicious. It’s inthese directions that I wish Gilded Hearts had gone.

Besides those standouts, thing are pretty boring. Vocalist Matt Anderson is a decent screamer and varies his pitches throughout the album, making sure things never feel too stale. Unfortunately, the clean vocals are where most of the problems lay. They are flat, monotone, and do nothing but annoyingly break up the much better screams and heavy aspects.

Adestria has made small, but necessary changes to their sound. Enhancing their technical aspects, Gilded Hearts is a more enjoyable record than their debut. It is also held down by a lack of differentiation between songs, poor use of clean vocals, and a general feeling of “been there, done that” that flows through most of the album. For their third album, Adestria needs to pull out all the stops and create an album that's more cohesive, fast-paced, and has a greater lasting value.

Recommended If You LikeFit For A King, Serianna, For All I Am, Ten After Two, Buried In Verona

Track Listing1. Propheteering
2. Children of the Machine
3. Death of a Golden Age
4. Familiar Enemy
5. In Debt to Death
6. Blinders
7. Dangerous Waters
8. Through the Fog
9. Uncommon Trash
10. Shared Scars

Official Website
Facebook
Twitter
This review is a user submitted review from Niko John. You can see all of Niko John's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
06:08 AM on 05/30/14
undefinedcolton
User Info.
i don't mind the album, but i agree Chapters was a lot easier to digest, but i cannot decide if it was due to the fact that i was younger or due to that i actually listened to that kind of music a lot more.
11:41 AM on 05/30/14
savestheday3x3
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i don't mind the album, but i agree Chapters was a lot easier to digest, but i cannot decide if it was due to the fact that i was younger or due to that i actually listened to that kind of music a lot more.
I think your right. First time I listened to it I thought it wasn't as good as their debut. Then I went back and listened to the songs I loved on the debut, and realized that It must of been because I enjoyed that music more back then because this album is significantly better IMO.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos