Password

Album Review

Bad Rabbits - American Love Album Cover

Bad Rabbits - American Love

Reviewed by
Bad Rabbits - American Love
Record Label: Bad Records
Release Date: May 14, 2013
While I’m tripping over myself, laughing at my own jokes, and generally being that one awkward guy from high school that no one wants to go near, Dua Boakye and the rest of Bad Rabbits are stealing my girlfriend with their charm, wit, and general sex appeal. And I’m strangely ok with that. With American Love, nothing can make me upset. This is the official record of every summer for the foreseeable future; Bad Rabbits has created an album with few missteps.

With eyes on the bootylicious prize, the funk, soul, and plain awesomeness of this record rarely lets up. “We Can Roll” is a sultry opener showing off Boakye's range and prestige as a lead singer, which he continues to gladly exercise at every opportunity. Songs like the infectious “Dance Moves” and funky “Take It Off” showcase his buttery smoothness and are efforts that almost force the listener to like him.

One of the biggest missteps is the track “Dirty.” While I can appreciate the crazy beat and fast-paced rhythm, the song is a little too lewd for my tastes. With lyrics like “That bitch is dirty, so dirty/ Cause girl, you’re just a little hood rat,” it comes across as immature more than fun. Thankfully, “Fall In Love” immediately comes in and washes that away with a bouncy and sexy jam filled with powerful synths and vivacious riffs.

A throwback to 80’s funk more than anything else, Bad Rabbits’s American Love is an album that personifies fun. A swooning record filled to the brim with sexy vocals and bouncy guitar licks, this is an album that almost anyone can love.

Recommended If You LikeNK, Envy on the Coast, Date Palms, Michael Jackson, Prince

Track Listing1. We Can Roll
2. Can't Fool Me
3. Dance Moves
4. Get Up and Go
5. Take It Off
6. Dirty
7. Fall In Love
8. Doin' It
9. Sayonara
10. Royal Flush

Official Website
Facebook
Twitter
This review is a user submitted review from Niko John. You can see all of Niko John's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
06:33 AM on 05/30/14
Ska Senanake
Ska Senanake
User Info.
Incredible album and the CD itself is hilarious.
08:14 AM on 05/30/14
Playsw/Squirels
Duckies Rule!!
User Info.
Love. Love. Love. This band's sound is so refreshing to listen to in a relatively stale music industry. Arrangement is great, Dua is incredible, and the songs are so fun.

What scary is that this album is really good, but in my opinion, is just a shell of their potential. Im recklessly excited for their next album. Really hope they can crack their way to the mainstream. they deserve it and more people need to be exposed to it.
12:21 AM on 06/01/14
theherox
Makin Music and Losin Friends
User Info.
A RIYL of envy on the coast AND michael jackson?? I'm in!!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos