Password

Album Review

Coldplay - Ghost Stories Album Cover

Coldplay - Ghost Stories

Reviewed by
Coldplay - Ghost Stories
Release Date: May 16, 2014
Record Label: Parlophone
If a band as successful as Coldplay could ever take a backwards step, you'd have to wonder what they did wrong. In this case, it's going to back to a slow, adult contemporary sound that won over their fans in the first place. Forget about the fact that it's probably their most successful album to date, at this point in its release, but focus on their last two albums. They dipped into a more poppier, upbeat sound which won over a larger audience than their prior albums did. Ghost Stories, although it may not disappoint fans, may not entirely win them over.

The slowness of the songs, and the fact that most songs carry the same basic tone all the way through means the songs all bleed into one 40 minute song, instead of nine 4 minute (or thereabouts) songs. "Magic," the first single from the album, is probably my favourite track on the album, and probably the only song I thoroughly enjoy listening to on the album; all the other songs sit in the category, "I wouldn't turn it off, if it came on the radio." And that's okay, because prior to Death and All His Friends, that's what Coldplay songs were to me anyway.

Take away Death and All His Friends and Mylo Xyloto, and you could count my favourite Coldplay songs on one hand.

Head to track 8, and you'll see the other single, "A Sky Full Of Stars" - It almost builds into a techno ballad, and that's probably the only other song I'd give the pass mark, but only just. The lyrical content of Coldplay songs is always thought provoking, I guess, but lyrics like, "I don't care, go on and tear me apart, I don't care if you do" could almost be inserted to any song by a band on the punk/grunge revival, and it wouldn't seem out of place at all. I haven't known Coldplay to go too dark, but doing my research, their lyrics can go to pretty dark places, this album, especially this song, is no exception.

Okay, so the main questions I guess you'd be asking is if the album is worth checking out, and the short answer is: if you've been a Coldplay fan from the beginning, then yes. If you were won over by Death and All His Friends or Mylo Xyloto (like myself) then you may fall into the same category as me. The other question you're likely to ask is whether it's worth your money. Well, with the option of using something like Spotify or Rdio, you can make that decision for yourself. I'd however, not pay a dime for it.

6/10

Recommended if you like Coldplay's albums prior to Death and All His Friends, OneRepublic maybe? Slow, contemporary rock with techno influences. I honestly have no idea what to compare this to.

Track List
1. Always In My Head
2. Magic
3. Ink
4. True Love
5. Midnight
6. Another's Arms
7. Oceans
8. A Sky Full of Stars
9. O

Support the band, and the album!
Listen on Spotify
Buy on iTunes
Like Coldplay on Facebook
Follow Coldplay on Twitter
This review is a user submitted review from InfiniteArms. You can see all of InfiniteArms's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
10:05 AM on 06/05/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
59? One Republic comparison? Get outta here!
10:20 AM on 06/05/14
PetitnaindesÎles
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
techno influences ? wat
12:24 PM on 06/05/14
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
User Info.
techno influences ? wat
More like EDM
04:36 PM on 06/05/14
re7ard1337
You don't mean a thing to me.
User Info.
better than Mylo...
05:43 PM on 06/05/14
InfiniteArms
Oh, the places you'll go!
User Info.
59? One Republic comparison? Get outta here!
You can't hear it? I can. And If I could submit this without a RIYL, I would. But every time I don't make one, it gets sent back to me, and RIYLs are so damn hard to think up.

techno influences ? wat
As OurLadyCoolbean said, more like EDM. Being someone who doesn't listen to "Techno" music very much, I just have everything under one umbrella.

You don't have to agree with me. This is just my opinion.
02:05 AM on 06/06/14
Eurotrash Drock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's funny, I was just thinking how nearly all reviews I read on ap.net are positive and practically beaming. It's nice to see a genuinely middling review and see something that's not someone gushing about how amazing an album is. That said, I've been a fan of Coldplay for over a decade and while I didn't really get into Mylo Xyloto, the two or three new songs I've heard from here weren't memorable either. And, as stated, they seemed to sound similar. I'll reserve judgement until I listen to it front to back, though.
05:33 AM on 06/06/14
InfiniteArms
Oh, the places you'll go!
User Info.
It's funny, I was just thinking how nearly all reviews I read on ap.net are positive and practically beaming. It's nice to see a genuinely middling review and see something that's not someone gushing about how amazing an album is. That said, I've been a fan of Coldplay for over a decade and while I didn't really get into Mylo Xyloto, the two or three new songs I've heard from here weren't memorable either. And, as stated, they seemed to sound similar. I'll reserve judgement until I listen to it front to back, though.
Thanks for your comments

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version