AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
TEAM* - Good Morning Bad Day Album Cover

TEAM* - Good Morning Bad Day

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
TEAM* - Good Morning Bad Day
Record Label: Field Day Records
Release Date: May 6, 2014

There’s something tremendously refreshing (and also appealing) about Caleb Turman, the frontman and songwriter for the Texas band TEAM*. Something unpretentious, harmless, ordinary and most importantly, believable. On his band’s latest LP Good Morning Bad Day, they carefully weave hazy lo-fi indie with sweetly affecting melodies to craft a disc that marks the arrival of a bright new talent.

Whether its the sun-drenched opener “The Man in a Suit With His Eye to the Sky” or the punchy single “I Like It,” the disc begins with a veritable bang and never once relents. “Alone In My Room” is an acoustic effort that shuffles along sheepishly while Turman whips rhapsodically about his independence. Less than two minutes in, background vocals creep their way into the frame and suddenly the song opens gradually, unveiling a sun-splashed splendor that makes the song a natural choice for a spring playlist. Turman and Co. chase after 70’s AOR on the breezy “All the Time” and knock it out of the park, while “I”m Just Like You,” is arguably the strongest song on the disc and one of the best of the year. Ridiculously catchy, wholly breezy and crazy confident, “I’m Just Like You” is a splendid song from a band that clearly knows its way around a song.

What separates TEAM* from their contemporaries is what they do on their off-tracks, the filler if you will. Though Good Morning Bad Day only has one real filler song, the urgent “Say My Name,” its still markedly better than most if not all of their contemporaries. The disc comes to a close with the falsetto-laden R&B sendup “Stay,” which reveals a depth and a presence that sets them apart.

Make no mistake about it, TEAM* is a band to watch in 2014 and beyond.

Recommended If You Like fun., Young the Giant, Hall and Oates, The Arkells

Team is Caleb Turman: vocals, guitar, etc
Rico Garcia Andradi: drums, keys, etc.

Tracklisting 1. The Man in a Suit With His Eye to the Sky
2. I Like It *
3. Alone In My Room
4. All the Time
5. I’m Just Like You (When You Turn Out the Lights)
6. Say My Name
7. Stay

Produced and mixed by Will Pugh (Cartel)
Mastered by Todd Pipes (Flickerstick, The Nadas)
All songs written by Caleb Turman.
*“I Like It” written by Will Pugh and Rico Garcia Andradi

Find Them Here http://WeAreCalledTeam.com

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
09:32 AM on 06/01/14
Quijiba
User Info.
wow, this is a great band. Really pleased with this. Thanks for the rec! and great review as always
11:37 AM on 06/01/14
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
I"ll check it out but that artwork is the worst thing I've ever seen.
10:08 AM on 06/05/14
HappyTheHippie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I liken them to 3rd Eye Blind, good stuff
10:12 AM on 06/06/14
woohoo!
There's so much room for activities
User Info.
Awesome to see other people who know of this band! I agree with the reviewers opinion that “Say My Name” is the only weak one. I can't wait for more stuff from them. I think they have a sound that can make them really popular. I definitely recommend checking them out and listening to a song which isn't on this release: "Come to My House." It is on a Verizon Wireless commercial and it's awesome.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos