AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Send Away Stranger - Gables Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7.75
Production 7.75
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Send Away Stranger - Gables

Reviewed by: Vance Mook (06/02/14)
Send Away Stranger - Gables
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: May 7, 2014

For a band that seems to be constantly expanding, Send Away Stranger have a strong hold on their roots and influences. Throughout their latest EP Gables, the band finds themselves ripping through four tracks of traditional punk rock and miniature indie/emo sentiments sure to please fans of early Title Fight and Pentimento. As opener “Tongue and Teeth” explodes, one can almost feel the surrounding sweat-soaked bodies at their local VFW hall. This plays to one of the band’s biggest strengths- a raw, organic sound that is sonically, emotionally, and lyrically honest with the listener.

“St. Angry” channels the fast, upbeat takes and gruff delivery of Hot Water Music’s career, and provides a welcome change in lyricism that finds the band in political territory before leading into the EP’s stronger (and slightly more experimental) second half. “Loopholes” is the most fun of the bunch, while also being the most thoughtful and emotional. “What keeps you warm in those Winter months?” it asks, before diving into a bridge filled with Gables’ best guitar work. The production here is a perfect fit, raw enough to sound like a demo passed onto you by a friend but fitting enough to let the music breath, spewing cathartic bouts of energy and ultimately speaking for itself.

Gables wraps up nicely with its sum-of-all-parts closing track, “I Hate My Shelf”. With the band’s only weakness being a lack of variation, “I Hate My Shelf” is a refreshing take and a hopeful indication of how Send Away Stranger could elevate their musicianship next. Gables finds Send Away Stranger successfully cranking out some of their most consistent material yet, pummeling through track after track of relentlessly upbeat punk rock, swirled with a taste of what’s soon to come.

Bandcamp
Facebook

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums