AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Politics News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Guitar Center and Bain Capital: Let Workers Unite for a Fair Workplace

Posted by - 11:27 AM on 06/04/14
Workers at Guitar Center in Chicago, New York City, and Las Vegas have come together to form unions so they can negotiate for better working conditions in writing from their employers at Guitar Center and ARES/Bain Capital. They're looking for your support by signing this petition.
So we decided to come together. We're organizing with the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union and we are asking the company to recognize our union and negotiate for a fair contract. With Bain Capital's track record, we need your support. Let Bain Capital know you support our right to come together for a fair workplace.

Submitted by drumboydrum

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
11:30 AM on 06/04/14
theskycouldfly
Bluth Family
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
somehow i dont believe this... i worked at guitar center for a year and never felt more worthless at a job. every day managers remind you that you are replaceable becuase you arent fading, or didnt sell enough pg's. fuck guitar center and i hope that shit hole closes down for good.
11:32 AM on 06/04/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
you work at guitar center, get over it! at least you have a job
11:33 AM on 06/04/14
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.
11:48 AM on 06/04/14
emilyaudrey91
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My boyfriend has been at GC for about a year and last year there was a company-wide pay increase of $2 more per hour plus an equal raise in commission so even when he isn't hitting/exceeding sales goals he in no way makes "as little as minimum wage". On top of the recent increase, there are also significant pay changes "coming soon" that was announced to every worker so it's convenient that they ignored that completely.
12:02 PM on 06/04/14
Easy Out
User Info.
I as well worked for guitar center for a few years. As far as how the employees are treated it depends on your manager. I had fantastic managers that were not only fun to work with but also professional. And as EmilyAudrey stated, right around when I left they began the increase in pay because the San Fransisco store threatened the same thing. Everyone should respect the professional employees at guitar center because people don't realize that depending on the foot traffic that month, you can go from barely being able to pay your bills to "holy crap I could do this for the rest of my life and make enough money selling guitars". In my opinion, if you want a steady pay, like what I make now where you don't have to worry about it, DON'T WORK IN SALES! Your only other option is to work on becoming the store manager. If cost of living is keeping these people "poor" then something should be done.
12:13 PM on 06/04/14
dukenuk12
dparke
User Info.
Guitar Center was by far the worst job I have ever had. You think it'd be cool working there but you realize that only the people with the most seniority actually sell the guitars -- which I had no problem with. What I had a problem with was that we were all given the same commission goals. So while one person could sell, say, 5 guitars in one day and make X amount, the new-hires were stuck in accessories where the "GP" (gross profit - the "retail price" over "cost from the manufacturers") was absolute shit and you'd have to work 9x as hard trying to sell someone on shitty strings because the made GC more in the long run. But what's worse is you wouldn't MAKE any actual commission until you made GC a certain amount of money which in accessories is damn near impossible within the first year even. It was just a pretty crappy way to do business. I left after less than a month so I was only jaded enough to hate the idea of working there. I still like to go in from time to time because, like someone else alluded earlier, it's their job to have, not mine.
12:25 PM on 06/04/14
TooOLDforAP.Net
User Info.
Everyone should sign this. Random anecdotes that start with "in my experience..." Or "i know someone who..." Are worthless. If they were worth anything we wouldnt have the peer review system.

By strengthening the lower class workers in this country we strengthen everyone. Fights like this are important for everyone.
12:40 PM on 06/04/14
trevorshmevor
User Info.
I worked at Guitar Center for four years, between two different locations in two different states, and I think this is pretty ridiculous. The only people who actually only make minimum wage at GC are the people who don't take their job seriously enough. It's a fun job, sure, but you truly get out of it what you put in. The most successful guys I knew were always learning more about gear, following up with customers, and making the best use of their time instead of goofing around on electric drum kits or the Boss tower.

It's like I say to servers who complain about tips: if you're not making enough money, go find another job.
12:46 PM on 06/04/14
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
I love when people don't think retail workers deserve fair pay and decent treatment. Fuck you guys. It's not as easy as "at least it's a job" or "go find a new job."
01:07 PM on 06/04/14
trevorshmevor
User Info.
people with the most seniority actually sell the guitars

This is not true

we were all given the same commission goals.

This is definitely not true

the new-hires were stuck in accessories

This is laughably untrue

where the "GP" (gross profit - the "retail price" over "cost from the manufacturers") was absolute shit

Your definition of GP is true, but if anyone here needs to have the concept of a profit margin explained to them, they probably should not be weighing in on this issue

and you'd have to work 9x as hard trying to sell someone on shitty strings because the made GC more in the long run

If you're relying on string sales to fade into your comission bonus (should not be the case), then yes, this would sometimes be true

But what's worse is you wouldn't MAKE any actual commission until you made GC a certain amount of money

True, the company wants you to make them back what they're paying you to be there before they start dishing out extra cash

which in accessories is damn near impossible within the first year even

Accessories isn't even the hardest department to fade in in the store, let alone being damn near impossible at all

I left after less than a month

Your lack of knowledge on the subject suddenly makes a whole lot more sense
01:15 PM on 06/04/14
trevorshmevor
User Info.
I love when people don't think retail workers deserve fair pay and decent treatment. Fuck you guys. It's not as easy as "at least it's a job" or "go find a new job."

A) At Guitar Center, you can either get paid minimum wage to stand around and basically be a cashier, or you can get paid a lot extra for going above and beyond. Seems pretty fair to me?

B) Yes, it is that easy. Of course in certain situations it's hard to do so, but in general it is not difficult to leave one job and get another. What makes you think it is?
01:55 PM on 06/04/14
Ddrums
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was actually working at Guitar Center while the union was trying to generate interest in the employees to unionize. The short version of the story is that these guys are criminals.They filled employees heads with lies to get them to turn on GC and vote in favor of the union. They made promises they couldn't keep and unfortunately some stores were duped enough to vote yes and unionize. The problem with the unionized stores is that any changes the company makes in terms of pay increases will not apply to any stores that voted to unionize. Which means the chain wide pay increases and commission restructuring they just made will not apply to any unionized store.They tricked GC employees into signing legally binding papers voicing their support for the union by saying they wanted to interview them for a college study about retail workers and needed their signed consent to publish the paper. These people are straight scum.
02:25 PM on 06/04/14
guitarman2189
User Info.
This could bankrupt the company even more then they already are lol. There's hope for the mom and pop stores.
02:26 PM on 06/04/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
I was actually working at Guitar Center while the union was trying to generate interest in the employees to unionize. The short version of the story is that these guys are criminals.They filled employees heads with lies to get them to turn on GC and vote in favor of the union. They made promises they couldn't keep and unfortunately some stores were duped enough to vote yes and unionize. The problem with the unionized stores is that any changes the company makes in terms of pay increases will not apply to any stores that voted to unionize. Which means the chain wide pay increases and commission restructuring they just made will not apply to any unionized store.They tricked GC employees into signing legally binding papers voicing their support for the union by saying they wanted to interview them for a college study about retail workers and needed their signed consent to publish the paper. These people are straight scum.
If what you're describing is what happened it would not be legally binding.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos