AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Mp3 News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Ryan Rockwell of Mixtapes Releases New Album As "Youth...

Posted by - 11:31 AM on 06/04/14
Ryan Rockwell, best known as the frontman for pop-punk act Mixtapes, is excited to independently release a brand-new album today called I Hate How Normal I've Become. This release comes under the project name Youth Culture and is available right now on Bandcamp. Check the replies for the full press release.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 196
11:31 AM on 06/04/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Press ReleaseThis album started when Ryan Rockwell had a lot of things to get off of his chest. After sinking to a low he never though he'd get to, he came out on the other side and made this album. Enlisting the help of Kamal Hiresh (drums, tamborine, background vocals) and Zach George (vocals, guitars, bass), the three took a month in Ryan's basement to make what would become I Hate How Normal I've Become.

Ryan had been touring for four years in his band Mixtapes that started after his father passed away. He started to watch himself deteriorate and become the type of person he hated the most. He tried things he never thought he would and got dangerously close to not making it out. While still trying to become the kid he was before his dad passed away he's found the ways to start to get there. Writing these songs and help from some friends saved him even though he was close to not making it, closer than his friends and family realized.

"I had never felt more alone," Rockwell says. "Friends that I have had for years literally just stopped talking to me, stopped responding, a large number of them. I turned to the only thing i knew, and I started writing about it. I don't know who was wrong or who was right, but I know how much it hurt and people that I have helped and would do anything for left me when I needed help the most. Other people stepped up and saved me. I don't place blame though...I became a different person for awhile. But I know if Mixtapes was the positive, brighter side, then Youth Culture is the darker side.

This is an album for people going through things they don't like to talk about or know how to express. We worked very hard on it and we hope you can relate to it. We did it all ourselves and paid for it all ourselves. First and foremost, we want you to hear it – which is why it's free. If you like it enough, we'd very much appreciate a donation to recoup costs and eventually put it out on vinyl. But as always with everything I've done, I just want it to get out there, so thank you so much for taking the time to listen, there's alot of bands out there, thanks for giving this a spin."
11:32 AM on 06/04/14
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
I can tell this will shred already.
11:51 AM on 06/04/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Never thought of Mixtapes as "the positive, brighter side" so this sounds very cool. Hope to check it out when I get a chance.
12:13 PM on 06/04/14
Erik the Orange
What do they know about friends?
User Info.
Will be interesting to hear a just Ryan album, since I'm so used to him harmonizing with Maura.
12:21 PM on 06/04/14
AlexHuffman
User Info.
Best dude. Hoping the Broncos lose the Super Bowl again so we can both watch Josh Wells drink himself into another coma.
12:45 PM on 06/04/14
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Great dude who mastered the art of creating catchy hooks.
02:15 PM on 06/04/14
Bryan Mac
GFYTN
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is strangely different from Mixtapes.

Whoa, wait, did he just say he doesn't think that Sandy Hook happened?????????
02:23 PM on 06/04/14
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Interested to check this out later.
02:27 PM on 06/04/14
buddah knome
Registered Member
User Info.
Anyone else kind of think track 02 sounds like 3EB? Not a bad thing.
02:46 PM on 06/04/14
sao6sin
User Info.

Yeah whats up with that sandy hook line?
03:36 PM on 06/04/14
ALT/MSC/FAN
Everything's Coming Up Milhouse
User Info.
As a huge Mixtapes fan, I'm excited to hear this.
03:59 PM on 06/04/14
beachdude42
User Info.

He better not be one of those...
04:59 PM on 06/04/14
Isingoutofkey
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey, I knew this line was gonna make this happen and a few people encouraged me to take the song off the record, but I certainly wasn't going to do that. I understand how easily this can be taken out of context and tonight I will be writing an explanation of what I meat, some might agree still and some not but the lyric is in no way trying to be offensive or crazy conspiracy whacko, thank you so much for checking out the record and please sp[read the link around as it means a ton to me!
05:49 PM on 06/04/14
Uilliam
boom, roasted
User Info.
Hey, I knew this line was gonna make this happen and a few people encouraged me to take the song off the record, but I certainly wasn't going to do that. I understand how easily this can be taken out of context and tonight I will be writing an explanation of what I meat, some might agree still and some not but the lyric is in no way trying to be offensive or crazy conspiracy whacko, thank you so much for checking out the record and please sp[read the link around as it means a ton to me!

As a whacko, I'm intrigued.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version