Username
Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 46.
02:40 PM on 06/05/14
jpmalone4
5 Meowmeowbeenz
User Info.
This album always gives me flashbacks to the Christmas I got this CD, along with my first iPod. Good times, great stuff.
02:45 PM on 06/05/14
Hagysaurus Rex
We yell like hell to the heavens.
User Info.
Ha I never thought of top loading the album as a strategy like that but you're probably right. It'd make more sense to do that today in a digital/streaming world where you're willing to give an album a couple track listen at least and you likely would start at the beginning so you want to hook them right away. Indie Rock n Roll would have made a great single, as well. I know it's a lot bigger in England; they may have released it as one there where it was standard on the album in place of Change Your Mind (our song in that place).

They were the first "new" band I really got into and they were my favorite band for a long while. I hadn't been as excited for another band when they debuted until The 1975 came along.

"Someone will drive her around..." is one of my favorite lines, as well.

I love Sam's Town (probably my favorite overall) and the other albums have their moments, but I'm one of those people who think they were in top form on Hot Fuss but have resigned myself to the fact that they'll never and can never make even a handful of songs like those on Hot Fuss anymore.

I'm 100% with you on the bolded parts. I'm still not sure why IRnR didn't become a single. It's soooooo good. And yeah, I'm partial to Sam's Town primarily because I love that type of songwriting, which popped back up in the Battleborn album (particularly Runaways.)
04:37 PM on 06/05/14
Hamburglar
Jeff
User Info.
I think Sam's Town is not only my favorite but their best top to bottom. "Dustland Fairytale" is all that matters from Day and Age, and Battle Born was an awesome return to form, IMO.

But then I factor in how AMAZING half of this album is and I realize that the Killers very sneakily exist as one of my favorite bands. If I had to pick 100 songs to live off of forever, this band would occupy a good chunk of those spots.
06:45 PM on 06/05/14
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Wish I liked this album as a whole more. I adore Mr Brightside and Believe Me Natalie.
07:07 PM on 06/05/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Same, but substitute Staind and Linkin Park for me. Ugh

Linkin Park is significantly less embarrassing than Creed though, let's be honest.

Epic review. Was fun to read and I could not agree more. The only odd thing for me is, it feels like this album is actually older than 10 years. I was surprised when I saw the "10th anniversary" in the title.

Really? It seems like it was just yesterday that this was their only album.

Fantastic review. A huge part of the brilliance this record radiates also comes from Ronnie's absolutely stellar drumming. He's impossible to predict, and even at this early time in the band's sound, he knew how to tweak each fill just enough that it was never the same twice without compromising the integrity of the song or overdoing it.

Yeah, Ronnie's a fucking machine. I was thinking that this morning when I was playing this record with headphones on. The work on "Brightside" especially is insane.

where can I find those b sides? I've been a big fan since this album originally came out, and I've never come across them!

There was a limited edition out a year or so after the record that had those two and "The Ballad of Michael Valentine," which isn't as good. I found them on Limewire back in the day. They got re-recorded and re-released on Sawdust in 2007, but those versions aren't as good.

This album always gives me flashbacks to the Christmas I got this CD, along with my first iPod. Good times, great stuff.

Same. I bought it in like October or November, but I got my first iPod that Christmas too and this was in heavy rotation at the time.

I think Sam's Town is not only my favorite but their best top to bottom. "Dustland Fairytale" is all that matters from Day and Age, and Battle Born was an awesome return to form, IMO.

But then I factor in how AMAZING half of this album is and I realize that the Killers very sneakily exist as one of my favorite bands. If I had to pick 100 songs to live off of forever, this band would occupy a good chunk of those spots.

Sam's Town used to be my favorite, but I think Battle Born is better. Sam's Town has at least one song that I skip every single time ("Uncle Jonny"), and I'm not a big fan of the enterlude/exitlude stuff. But fuck, "Why Do I Keep Counting" is probably my favorite Killers song.

Day & Age is hit or miss for me. "Dustland Fairytale" is the highlight, but I also love "Losing Touch," "Spaceman," "This is Your Life" and "The World We Live In." It's their worst record, for sure, but got a bit more flak than it deserved.

The Killers are definitely one of my favorite bands, but I don't think it's sneaky at all. Haha

Wish I liked this album as a whole more. I adore Mr Brightside and Believe Me Natalie.

You tend to have this reaction toward a lot of albums I love. Haha
07:13 PM on 06/05/14
mka12992
Is this darkness in you too?
User Info.
Huh. Uncle Johnny is my favorite off Sam's Town, I think.
07:31 PM on 06/05/14
COLEMAN902
acommonyear.com
User Info.
I love this record so much. Also, it was eerie how much I related to a lot of your story of music discovery and nostalgia-including getting married next month. Cheers!
08:00 PM on 06/05/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Huh. Uncle Johnny is my favorite off Sam's Town, I think.

Really? Interesting; I don't think I've ever met someone who likes that song.

I love this record so much. Also, it was eerie how much I related to a lot of your story of music discovery and nostalgia-including getting married next month. Cheers!

You too!
09:22 PM on 06/05/14
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Mr Brightside is the best song here, no contest. It will be all that casual music fans remember of The Killers when they are dead (presumably killed) and gone.
09:22 PM on 06/05/14
mka12992
Is this darkness in you too?
User Info.
Really? Interesting; I don't think I've ever met someone who likes that song.

You too!
Huh. I dunno, I really like it for whatever reason. Love the musical shift when he sings "it helps to take away the pain."

Also, Mr. Brightside would be on my bottom 5 on this album probably.
09:34 PM on 06/05/14
somekid773
I was a ghost on your birthday
User Info.
The last paragraph is so freakishly applicable to my own story...

Jimmy Eat World's Futures and The Killers' Hot Fuss were among the numerous albums released when I was 13 that I latched onto when I explored my musical interests outside of Michael Jackson, Aerosmith, and other music my family exposed me to. I still remember carrying a backpack to my bus stop the following school year with my CD player tucked in its own pocket and having the headphones run out of the opening in the zipper. I pretty much exclusively carried a copy of Hot Fuss, Futures, Good News for People Who Love Bad News, and American Idiot once it came out.

Now, being 23 and recently married, I still bump these albums regularly when I'm looking to transport back in time and simply enjoy some fantastic tunes. These are just a few pieces of music that will never grow stale to me.
01:10 AM on 06/06/14
SoBefruitpunch
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is the first time one of these ten year anniversary album things has really freaked me out. Damn ten years.
03:36 PM on 06/09/14
FTank
Blank
User Info.
Funny that you mention Hopes and Fears - was just listening to that album the other day and thinking about how front heavy it is
04:15 PM on 06/09/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Funny that you mention Hopes and Fears - was just listening to that album the other day and thinking about how front heavy it is

Most of my favorites on that album are toward the back end, actually. But that's another one where I added two bonus tracks into the tracklist. Always think of that and Hot Fuss in very similar ways.
08:25 AM on 06/14/14
edoggilicious
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's funny to hear all of these 13 year olds digging this album. That is not a dis to 13 year olds--it's just that I remember liking Milli Vanilli when I was 13. Hot Fuss smacked me upside the head when I was 29 listening to KROQ and instantly became a favorite. I am 39 now and and have gone through the cycle of liking it and not (because of negative critic reviews) and liking it again, but being kind of insecure about it. I remember hearing the second side thinking that the songs weren't as killer, but, being a drummer, was more than pleased with Vannucci's skills. I couldn't--and still can't--accept a Metacritic score of 66%. Anyway, it is nice to hear such a positive review of the album. I know fans are out there…I just hope we don't turn into those 40-something year olds following them around on tour like NKOTB.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums