Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 8 posts
07:35 PM on 06/16/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Thanks man! It was just inspired because I was finally able to analyze something from my favorite band. I know Zac thought it was one of my best to date- glad to hear others think so too!
07:35 PM on 06/16/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Thought this album was terrible but great review
Hey man, to each their own haha thanks for reading!
12:11 AM on 06/18/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Awesome review, Mook! I think I may have seen this on Sputnik? Or somewhere else? In any case, you're a seriously talented writer. It all flows so smoothly, and everything is totally comprehensible without sacrificing eloquence or wit.

"...before making a clever slight towards the record he is associated with most." Care to explain? This one was lost on me.
Thanks for reading! Fastest Kid in School was where it was originally posted, the site I'm running along with Zac Djamoos. I sincerely appreciate it; there's really something cathartic about being able to relay your detailed opinion about something you feel so strongly about. More than anything, I'm just trying to put my writing out there.

FTank is right; I believe the lyric is, "Be 19 with a joint in hand/Never change the band/Never ever be a dot dot dot Real Man," in response to fans who want him to create ...Is a Real Boy Pt. II
06:52 AM on 06/18/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Oh, yeah, coincidentally that's a line I've been meaning to ask about, too. I see people calling out the "dot dot dot real man" as being good, but I don't understand the "dot dot dot"? Is that a reference to something I've forgotten?
Haha "dot dot dot" is the spoken version of an ellipses (...), get it?

"dot dot dot Real Man" = ... Real Boy? In context, meaning people don't want him to grow away from ...Is a Real Boy tendencies/mentality.
03:20 PM on 06/19/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Great review! And spot on. Not only is the album polarizing, but for me personally, every song is. there are moments that I love in every song, and then parts I just can't stand (IE 'kall me Kubrick' is amazing, until the swastiKAs. 'My greatest fear' starts out vocally and lyrically pretty painful, but then I enjoy the hell out of the rest of it once the tempo picks up. 'Push' is pretty boring but the bridge by Aaron Weiss is incredible. And so on and so on for every song.)
Thanks! I know some people won't get this, but I genuinely think that adds to how much I like the album in general- there's a certain unpredictability, theatrics and number of tempo changes throughout the songs that were lacking on Anarchy My Dear, and to a lesser extent self-titled. I will say that my opinion on "My Greatest Fear" seems to be unpopular; a lot of people have been citing that song as one of their favorites. Coincidentally, I think "Push" is one of the album's best cuts.
03:29 PM on 06/19/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Killer review. I agree with just about everything except the fact that I really like "My Greatest Fear."

When first hearing the singles, I was pretty unhappy. But after putting them on my phone, and spending some time with them in the car, the "wtf, I'm pissed at no guitars" sentiment left me and I could actually have fun and enjoy these songs. Now, I can't stop listening to this album.

"A Look" doesn't get much love on the boards but I think it's one of the best. Max's parts might be a little forgettable but Stacy King's vocals are top notch and Bob Nanna's outro is so infectious. Never thought the Braid frontman would be on a Say Anything album.

Also, glad you mentioned your website in the comments. Never seen it before but it looks nice and I'm definitely going to bookmark it for future reading. Keep up the great writing!
Thanks for reading! I'm glad you were able to get past the instrumentation; I actually really enjoy how the organic stuff mixes with keys and string arrangements. "A Look" still hasn't hooked me very much (although "Judas Decapitation" clicked really strongly with me today), but it's far from bad, and those guest spots are fantastic.

Also, thanks so much for checking out the website! We've only been doing it for about a year, and I've only been in college for journalism-communications, so we're consistently trying to improve the design and format. We recently relaunched with new staff members and are getting better numbers than ever at the moment, so I think our writing/features/exclusives are getting better as well (we just interviews Dreamtigers, which is half of Defeater, and we're interviewing Foxy Shazam sometime next week). It's just cool to be a part of this collective of college kids who want nothing more than to write about and help share good music.
03:32 PM on 06/19/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Love this album. Hate the Andy Hull feature though, ha.
So jazzy- I love both features, my favorite parts of that song haha.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos