Password
Money News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Money
Inside AP.net

NYT Article: Free Music, at Least While It Lasts

Posted by: Jason Tate (06/11/14)
David Carr, writing for the New York Times:
Late last Thursday, I stopped at the fruit stand and some big, vivid red grapes caught my eye. The vendor said a two-pound bunch would be $6, which seemed steep. I was about to tell him as much, and then came to my senses and gave him the money. I wondered why I hesitated when it came time to pony up and realized that, as just one more participant in the Something for Nothing economy, Id grown accustomed to getting all sorts of lusciousness for the price of zero.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
02:33 PM on 06/11/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
It always floors me when people are shocked that I pay for streaming services. I pay a fraction of what I used to pay for music and listen to more variety than I ever have.

The revenue sharing needs to change, but that's a topic for smarter people than me. I'm not sure I believe them when they say all they need is more subscribers.
03:38 PM on 06/11/14
Cursethishearse
@bradleyjp
User Info.
It always floors me when people are shocked that I pay for streaming services. I pay a fraction of what I used to pay for music and listen to more variety than I ever have.

The revenue sharing needs to change, but that's a topic for smarter people than me. I'm not sure I believe them when they say all they need is more subscribers.

I wish more people paid for streaming services. 10 bucks a month for all the music you want is a ridiculously good deal.
03:46 PM on 06/11/14
j4callen
User Info.
I wish more people paid for streaming services. 10 bucks a month for all the music you want is a ridiculously good deal.
Yeah. I took the plunge a few months ago and would recommend to everyone. Crazy convenient. And also a great way to discover new music!
03:53 PM on 06/11/14
Quijiba
User Info.

I know right. It's honestly a much better service than (a) buying music and loading it on what ever device you have or (b) stealing your music and doing the same. I pay $7.99 for Google Music (locked in at that early) and its worth every penny. I pay approximately $108/year for this awesome, unlimited streaming service on all of my devices. That is the equivalent of buying maybe 7 albums (so long as they aren't the bullshit $20 ones at walmart of what ever).

Anyways, this whole rant is to say that streaming services are phenomenal and worth the money.
03:53 PM on 06/11/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.

Yeah. I took the plunge a few months ago and would recommend to everyone. Crazy convenient. And also a great way to discover new music!

Exactly. For someone like me, who consumes music through my phone and computer at work, it's a no brainer. I've been exposed to so many different artists it's crazy.
03:55 PM on 06/11/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
I know right. It's honestly a much better service than (a) buying music and loading it on what ever device you have or (b) stealing your music and doing the same. I pay $7.99 for Google Music (locked in at that early) and its worth every penny. I pay approximately $108/year for this awesome, unlimited streaming service on all of my devices. That is the equivalent of buying maybe 7 albums (so long as they aren't the bullshit $20 ones at walmart of what ever).

Anyways, this whole rant is to say that streaming services are phenomenal and worth the money.
In the same boat, Google Play is a lifesaver for my bank account. My only gripe is that our $108 doesn't adequately compensate the artists (in my opinion), which I said above. But that will evolve in time.
06:57 PM on 06/11/14
scott!athedisco
User Info.
6$ is a lot for grapess
07:11 PM on 06/11/14
AeroIce
Post-Hardcore Enthusiast
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm still a sucker for physical copies so I tend to buy those whenever I can. In addition I will pay for digital copies of all the music that I do listen to regularly, even if I can legitimately get it for free (via Bandcamp, for example), because I like the idea of directly supporting the artist who made the music. The good thing is that I don't like/listen to enough music to have this be a terrible burden on my wallet. But I absolutely spend more than $108 per year on just music alone. It just seems... right to me? I don't know. I value music quite highly, and it seems like most people don't, and therefore don't think to actually give money to people who make the music that they are passively (or mindlessly) listening to 24/7.

However if I did like a greater variety of music, I don't know what I would do. Probably a streaming website for most artists, then buy and own for the best music.
07:15 PM on 06/11/14
RaginCajun
I didn't know she was your sister
User Info.
smooth natural writer
09:37 PM on 06/11/14
Timekeeper
Writer
User Info.
It's a two pound bunch of grapes, Michael. What could it cost? Six dollars?
09:38 PM on 06/11/14
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
User Info.
I like ~owning music (digitally) as well as being able to store play counts and such locally and thus don't use streaming services. I just download everything and if I enjoy something a lot I'll get a physical copy.
04:22 AM on 06/12/14
Quijiba
User Info.
In the same boat, Google Play is a lifesaver for my bank account. My only gripe is that our $108 doesn't adequately compensate the artists (in my opinion), which I said above. But that will evolve in time.
yeah, couldn't agree more. They really don't get paid sufficiently/1000 streams or what ever it is.
08:14 AM on 06/12/14
OldSchoolReason
User Info.
Back when Napster first came out, my thoughts were that the music industry was grossly overcharging for CDs (Sam goody- 15.99 and up) for some pretty shitty products. One radio song used as bait followed by an album of crap with no way of telling what was what before buying. Now we have hit the other extreme and the record labels have to play along because there are not other options really. I don't really have a solution, but I did start buying CDs again 5 years ago and still do it to this day. I just rip those CDs to my computer non-compressed for playback.
09:27 AM on 06/12/14
TheOtherAndrew
Rich History of Quarterback Issues
User Info.
It's a two pound bunch of grapes, Michael. What could it cost? Six dollars?
Winner.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums