AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Amazon News
Have a news tip? Submit news.
Amazon

Amazon Announces "Prime Music"

Posted by: Blake Solomon (06/12/14)
Amazon has unveiled a new music streaming service, Prime Music, which is in a similar vein to Spotify and Rdio. Subscriptions are included for people who are already Prime subscribers, and it marks an interesting new turn in the website's popular service. What do you think? Will Amazon be able to break into the market in a meaningful way, or is it already too late to make an impact?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
08:59 AM on 06/12/14
superchrist
User Info.
I'll stick with Spotify.
09:03 AM on 06/12/14
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I believe this wording in the above news post is a bit misleading:

Quote:
Subscriptions will be $99 for the year, and it marks an interesting new turn in the website's popular Prime service.

From Amazon:
Quote:
No additional cost
With Prime Music, there is no cost. You can listen to the entire Prime Music for free – it’s included with your Amazon Prime membership.

The service is included in the cost of the normal Prime membership, which is $99 a year, but also includes free shipping on Amazon products as well as their Netflix/Hulu competitor Instant service.

That alone -- that there's already an existing user base in place -- is enough give this a foothold. Add in the other benefits you get with Prime and if, obviously it's a big if, they design the UI and UX right this could be massive.
09:03 AM on 06/12/14
seventwenty3
User Info.
Not a bad addition to Prime.
09:04 AM on 06/12/14
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Only a crazy person would rule out Amazon as becoming a big player. Spotify leaves much to be desired at times. If they can get the back catalog as good as or better than Spotify then I see no reason why they couldn't do really well.
09:05 AM on 06/12/14
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And as people have said - with Amazon you're getting the other Prime benefits too.
09:07 AM on 06/12/14
thesinkingship
this boat is obviously sinking
User Info.
Pretty damn good. If the Amazon music player is as user friendly as Spotify, I may switch over. Although, I've paid for Prime the last five years or so anyway.
09:07 AM on 06/12/14
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
Will it be included with amazon prime student?
09:08 AM on 06/12/14
studskalny
There was another time in my life..
User Info.
I'm a Prime user through and through and I actually hope this convinces me to stop using Rdio. That will never happen, though.
09:16 AM on 06/12/14
KidLightning
Esquire
User Info.
I'm already a Prime subscriber and plan to try this out. If I like it, especially the mobile experience, it might convince me to drop my Spotify Premium subscription.
09:22 AM on 06/12/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I believe this wording in the above news post is a bit misleading:

From Amazon:

The service is included in the cost of the normal Prime membership, which is $99 a year, but also includes free shipping on Amazon products as well as their Netflix/Hulu competitor Instant service.

That alone -- that there's already an existing user base in place -- is enough give this a foothold. Add in the other benefits you get with Prime and if, obviously it's a big if, they design the UI and UX right this could be massive.
fixed
09:32 AM on 06/12/14
drummer13
http://chaplinband.bandcamp.com/
User Info.
If the ability to actually cultivate a library is better than Spotify's "Save album and then download it", a way too lengthy process, I'll definitely switch. It's always irritated me that Spotify has no way of looking at your local files and "saving" them to your Spotify library.
09:32 AM on 06/12/14
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
the iOS app is actually kinda interesting
09:34 AM on 06/12/14
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
09:37 AM on 06/12/14
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
Looks like availability is absolutely awful for the music covered on this site. Any label that puts out punk acts that's anywhere close to independent isn't covered except for Victory and they suck anyway. Hopeless, No Sleep, completely absent, let alone labels smaller than that.

Gotta try harder than this, Amazon.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version