AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Saosin News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

We Behind the Keyboard Don't Always Know Best

Posted by - 12:09 PM on 06/12/14
What's with this trend of music publications telling bands to go on hiatus or hold or whatever? Alternative Press just ran an op-ed about how it's time for a new Saosin album with Anthony Green and for Circa Survive to go on hold. Anthony Green responded on Twitter that this is "kind of bullshit." Between this and the "Blink-182 should go back on hiatus" article from a few weeks ago (that we touched on in our podcast), this level of entitlement and telling artists what they should do and where their creative spark should fire -- is starting to rub me the wrong way.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 130
12:10 PM on 06/12/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
but shitting all over Real Friends on the front news page is a-ok?
12:12 PM on 06/12/14
ComedownMachine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Eh, that's fine. There's nothing unique about them in the slightest.
12:12 PM on 06/12/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Right, because offering an opinion about written, recorded, promoted, and released music is completely the same thing. Took literally one post to just create a straw man and attempt to derail. Shocking.
12:14 PM on 06/12/14
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
Scott Heisel didn't write this? Color me surprised.
12:15 PM on 06/12/14
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
good thing we're recording a podcast tonight
12:16 PM on 06/12/14
sfpunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
For a print magazine like Alt press to write an opinion like that, without mention that it's an opinion, is as Anthony said, bullshit. It's almost like it's a direct quote from someone yet it's not.

This is me being biased as Circa Survive is my favorite band and I am beyond stoked for the new album they have in the works. Besides, nostalgia I couldn't give a shit about Saosin.

I'm all for people voicing their opinions, but do it an appropriate way.
12:17 PM on 06/12/14
Ryan Dennehy
I thought we had this settled lol what is your deal about real friends are you in the band
12:17 PM on 06/12/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
Right, because offering an opinion about written, recorded, promoted, and released music is completely the same thing. Took literally one post to just create a straw man and attempt to derail. Shocking.

I'm not attempting to derail shit - I'd like to know what the difference is. Other publications are offering their opinions on whether bands should break up or go on hiatus, and this rubs you the wrong way - a band within the scene you promote (or at least one of the scenes) gets routinely shit on, on the front page no less, but this doesn't rub you the wrong way at all.

One is an opinion, the other is something that could actually effect who chooses to check out a band that's out there doing their thing.

Just rubs me the wrong way, s'all. I thought that's what this thread was for, bitching about shitty things that 'journalists' say about the scenes they cover? My bad.
12:19 PM on 06/12/14
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
User Info.
For a print magazine like Alt press to write an opinion like that, without mention that it's an opinion, is as Anthony said, bullshit. It's almost like it's a direct quote from someone yet it's not.

This is me being biased as Circa Survive is my favorite band and I am beyond stoked for the new album they have in the works. Besides, nostalgia I couldn't give a shit about Saosin.

I'm all for people voicing their opinions, but do it an appropriate way.
Honestly I like Circa Survive a 100 times more than I ever liked Saosin.

(I don't even know how to pronounce Saosin).
12:19 PM on 06/12/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
I thought we had this settled lol what is your deal about real friends are you in the band

Nope, but they are a group of kids doing their thing, and to have staff not like them is one thing, but to have staff single them out (and on the main page no less) rubs me the wrong way.

You guys, like it or not, are 'tastemakers' and you're potentially keeping people from checking out a band for no reason other than what appears to be weird Internet-spite.
12:20 PM on 06/12/14
Drew Beringer
User Info.
real friends isn't a good band tho
12:20 PM on 06/12/14
pirateanarchy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yea Just saw that Saosin/Circa post...and it comes off pretty insulting to the band (Circa). It's great that Anthony has been playing with Saosin lately, but you can't deny that Circa is still a priority, I really doubt he would just stop what has been his main focus for a while now, especially surrounding the release of a new album.

And telling Blink to go back on hiatus is also pretty shitty. We all kicked and screamed for years for them to get back together. And just because they don't spew dick jokes left and right anymore that means they should break up again?
12:21 PM on 06/12/14
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Honestly I like Circa Survive a 100 times more than I ever liked Saosin.

(I don't even know how to pronounce Saosin).
this is a correct post

not to mention that Circa is currently recording LP5 with Will Yip.

I didn't read past the first few sentences of this op-ed but did it mention that? or was it just poorly researched by someone with a ninth grade fever dream to see saosin come back full time?
12:21 PM on 06/12/14
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.

on both sides of this

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT