AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Podcast News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Podcast
Inside AP.net

AP.net Podcast: Murder My Ears (Episode 37)

Posted by: Jason Tate (06/13/14)
Sorry for this being a little late this week -- we recorded a day later than usual and I spent the morning editing. But, as another week comes to an end we've got another episode of the AbsolutePunk Podcast for you. Topics include: Talking curmudgeonly about Warped Tour and this year's line-up and our favorite experiences from the festival, The Drama Summer, LP leaving Yellowcard and his new band with Ben Harper, New Found Glory's ability to write without Steve, Kerrang's "American Idiot" tribute, bands retiring old songs from their live shows, and that entire Saosin should replace Circa Survive in Anthony Green's life op-ed. We end with a talk about why bands should even record music in the first place and how the social media and a "everyone has an opinion" world may or may not be negatively impacting the careers of artists. The episode can be streamed and/or downloaded below.

Want to make sure you never miss an episode? You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via your own RSS feed reader, on SoundCloud, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes and SoundCloud.

Sponsor:

Disc Makers' Independent Musician Sweepstakes: Disc Makers, CD Baby, and Sweetwater have teamed up to bring you everything you need to record, release, promote, and sell your next album! You can win a complete recording studio, including a PreSonus StudioLive mixing board, Yamaha electronic drums, keyboard, speakers, and monitors, an Ibanez bass, Shure mics, and more. And, as if that wasn’t enough, you can also win a complete CD package, a 12” vinyl package, and everything you need to sell your music, including a pro website and worldwide distribution to iTunes, Amazon, CD Baby, and beyond.

Amazon.com: We're including the link again this week, so if you buy something on Amazon using it we'll get a little percentage back. We're going to be putting all that back into this show. Thank you so much for your support, it means the world to us.

Hosts:
Show Notes:
Want to sponsor?Interested in sponsoring an episode of the podcast? This is a great way to reach our loyal audience about an album or song release, special merch sale, upcoming tour ... or even an app, service, or product to sell. We can even do things like play a portion of your song and have our hosts talk a little bit about it and give thoughts. Each sponsorship also comes with a link in the podcast post right here on the homepage.

Email us for more information.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
05:36 PM on 06/13/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
If you have questions or comments you'd like us to tackle -- please leave them here for us to read and address next week. Thanks again for listening.
08:07 PM on 06/13/14
kennyrules
User Info.
Kind of abstract question, but do you think for a songwriter to be considered a "genius" or even "great" that they have to have demons/personal problems they tackle in their music? Brought about by a discussion I was having with some friends about how Paul McCartney seemed to be one of the few seen as a great that never really had heartwrenching songs.
11:18 PM on 06/13/14
inevitable
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If you have questions or comments you'd like us to tackle -- please leave them here for us to read and address next week. Thanks again for listening.
Who decided to use the word curmudgeonly?
06:17 AM on 06/14/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Who decided to use the word curmudgeonly?
I think it's just used in regards to Drew and Jason thinking the tour isn't great anymore - a pretty normal thought to have as you get older etc in this community. I'm only 23 and still go out there every year.
06:18 AM on 06/14/14
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I have yet to listen to one of these cause curmudgeonly is probably all too accurate, but social media negativity can't be a real deterrent to people who want to make music. There's always been outlets for telling people they suck, passionate driven people who love what they do always push thru. Or take criticism to heart and even improve.
08:23 AM on 06/14/14
inevitable
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think it's just used in regards to Drew and Jason thinking the tour isn't great anymore - a pretty normal thought to have as you get older etc in this community. I'm only 23 and still go out there every year.
I understood what it meant, but thought it was a good word choice.
08:26 AM on 06/14/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
I have yet to listen to one of these cause curmudgeonly is probably all too accurate, but social media negativity can't be a real deterrent to people who want to make music. There's always been outlets for telling people they suck, passionate driven people who love what they do always push thru. Or take criticism to heart and even improve.
should give one a try
10:07 AM on 06/14/14
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
should give one a try
Maybe, have been looking for stuff to listen to on the train to work. Which one's a good intro to it?
10:11 AM on 06/14/14
J.Dick
User Info.
Bands I saw at Warped 1997: blink 182, Bouncing Souls, social D, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Descendents, H2O, Lagwagon, Pennywise, sick of it all, suicide machines, LTJ, RBF. Limp Biscuit was also there so Warped always had bad bands.

I went every year after up through 2010ish but the last several I can't really get behind. Warped has moved from a skate punk music and sports thing to a more just general "youth culture" thing. I've changed but so has Warped.
10:18 AM on 06/14/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Maybe, have been looking for stuff to listen to on the train to work. Which one's a good intro to it?
This one or the one before actually is a pretty good intro to this format of the three of us talking about things we like/are interested in.
10:59 AM on 06/14/14
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
The whole Morrissey thing. Specifically the back-n-forth and how it takes a toll on you as a fan. I know both Jason and Drew are huge Morrissey fans like myself so does his behaviour affect your adoration for his music in any way? Do you find yourself allowing some of the more petty statements because "it's Morrissey" and you kind of expect it or detach from drama and issues separate from the music and physical releases completely?

Would you pay to go and see him tour the new album with everything considered? Applies to other artists as well, obviously to broaden the discussion.

(Apologies if this is touched on in this one, not able to listen just yet).
11:11 AM on 06/14/14
tyler2tall147
Awesome
User Info.
I wish Yellowcard as a band had said more about LP leaving, they had a shitty two sentence statement. When Sean O Donnel left, there was a 2-3 paragraph statement, and he was only in the band a couple years. If Ryan and Sean forced LP out and can't explain or give a reason, they deserve the fan backlash.

I think its really interesting that This Legend has more founding Yellowcard members then Yellowcard at this point.
11:14 AM on 06/14/14
FTank
Blank
User Info.
I'd rather see another Saosin record with Cove
11:28 AM on 06/14/14
FTank
Blank
User Info.
That "masses vs. artist" discussion was very interesting. I agree with what Drew was saying -- artists should write what they want to write and if that ends up being what the masses want, great. But I also agree with the point about "for the masses" being subjective and almost constantly changing. Compelling subject and I think artists should do whatever they want to do regardless of how it's construed.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests