AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Warped Tour News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Warped Tour's Woman Problem

Posted by - 10:32 PM on 06/16/14
Megan Seling, writing for Wondering Sound, has put together a really thought provoking piece on Warped Tour's lack of women.
“There’s really not a lack of women,” he [Kevin Lyman] says, interrupting me before I’ve finished asking the first question. “If you’ve got 20 bands that have women in them out of 120 bands, that’s one out of six bands.”

“You think that’s OK?” I ask, surprised that he would be so comfortable with such a one-sided ratio.

“That’s absolutely OK,” he says.

Update: Kevin Lyman has posted a variety of responses on Twitter.
I encourage @mseling to start her own music festival, she has good taste in music and seems to have it figured out.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 392
10:34 PM on 06/16/14
Jolan
USA
User Info.
She is overrated
10:41 PM on 06/16/14
buk182
User Info.
This is sexist in itself
10:41 PM on 06/16/14
more heart
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
Warped Tour, though has gotten more diverse over time, is still dominated by a very specific group of genres that, let's face it, are primarily comprised of men. Is he all of a sudden supposed to be bringing on every band that he comes across with a female member just to fill a quota? Like what is he reasonably expected to do here?
10:42 PM on 06/16/14
hardpill
Get Well Incentive
User Info.
That was kind of annoying. If that's what you want, go start your own tour. Or go to Lillith Fair.
10:43 PM on 06/16/14
BrucexLee
User Info.
Boo hoo
It's not Warped Tour's fault that 98% of the bands that have a crowd following that fits Warped Tour are fronted by males.

It's a matter of which bands are currently relevant. That's why there are more metal bands now than compared to 2002. It's a business, people need to stop turning this into a gender issue.
10:46 PM on 06/16/14
BrucexLee
User Info.
Warped Tour, though has gotten more diverse over time, is still dominated by a very specific group of genres that, let's face it, are primarily comprised of men. Is he all of a sudden supposed to be bringing on every band that he comes across with a female member just to fill a quota? Like what is he reasonably expected to do here?

Exactly. Lyman has even stated before that some of the choices when it comes to bands are based off of their relevance and crowd following.

If you want a tour to be successful then basing band's off of the gender of the vocalist is not a correct way to do it.
10:47 PM on 06/16/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
The author offers a variety of solutions, I'd recommend reading the full article.
10:54 PM on 06/16/14
more heart
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
The author offers a variety of solutions, I'd recommend reading the full article.
I did though and that's the problem. Aside from listing bands that would literally draw next to no one, what solutions does she provide? The entire article comes across as her thinking Kevin Lyman is some god that can just make female punk bands appear out of thin are have them be commercially viable for the tour.

The issue is more deeply rooted in the overall lack of female representation in the punk scene rather than Kevin Lyman deliberately deciding not to feature female bands.
10:55 PM on 06/16/14
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
If so many of the bands in these genres are compromised of men, I think instead of just accepting that and using that as an excuse as posters in here are already doing, people should be asking why it is such a boy's club. Why is it that women feel alienated and discouraged to pursue it? What is the environment that is being perpetuated? How can we change this? Can Kevin single-handedly change all of this? Probably not, but he is in a position to do more than he is.

Or we could just get really defensive and do nothing.

Also Kevin sounds like an ass in this.
10:56 PM on 06/16/14
TylerDrumming
User Info.
I was curious to see exactly how many bands with female members there are on the tour this year, so I made a quick list. The ones with dates next to them are on the Shiragirl Stage. I may be missing a few.

Dangerkids
Echosmith
K.Flay
Sleeper Agent
The Summer Set
Allison Weiss
American Pinup
Beebs And Her Money Makers
Courage My Love
Emilie Autumn
Icon For Hire
Marmozets
Pvris
Shot in the Dark
Tess Dunn
We Are The In Crowd
-----------------------------
Aim Your Arrows (Playing 7/8)
Amber Stowell (Playing 7/8)
Blackbird (Playing 7/6-7/10 and 7/12)
Blair La Rose (Playing 6/26)
Blameshift (Playing 7/9-7/12)
Candy Hearts (Playing 7/6-7/9)
Death of Paris (Playing 7/9)
Go Betty Go (Playing 6/20 and 6/22)
Go Big (Playing 7/6)
Hunter Valentine (Playing 7/6-7/12)
Jackknife Stiletto (Playing 7/9)
Jenni Spiro (Playing 7/11)
June Divided (Playing 7/11)
Justina (Playing 7/6-7/9)
Kaleido (Playing 7/11)
Kiirstin Marilyn (Playing 7/12)
Light Up the Eyes (Playing 6/20 and 6/25)
Melanie Lynx (Playing 7/10)
Miracle Dolls (Playing 6/20 and 6/22)
Mourning Lilith (Playing 6/21)
Queen Caveat (Playing 6/20 and 6/22)
Romance Mechanics (Playing 6/21-6/25)
Romantic Rock Fashion Show (Playing 6/25)
Sara Laketa (Playing 7/10)
Sharkmuffin (Playing 7/6 and 7/11-7/12)
Shiragirl (Playing 6/20-6/26 and 7/6-7/12)
Stop the Presses (Playing 6/25-6/26)
Survival Guide (Playing 6/21 and 6/26)
The Swank Masters (Playing 6/26)
The Turbulent Hearts (Playing 6/20-6/22 and 6/26)
Varna (Playing 6/21-6/22)
Wasi (Playing 6/21 and 6/25)
You Only Live Once (Playing 6/20 and 6/25-6/26)
10:58 PM on 06/16/14
TJ Wells
i'll see you at the movies.
User Info.
The argument that "most bands/directors/movies/etc." are all by men is so flawed and, I had thought, quite dead.
11:00 PM on 06/16/14
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
I fucking HATE feminists. Sorry that their is a lack of females that want to play punk rock/metal/whatever on a grueling festival where you tour in van and drive 15 hours overnight.

it is what it is, nobody is stopping women from achieving anything, they just seem to get pissed off that most bands are made up of male members. Seriously its not that fucking hard to comprehend anymore than men not wanting to play with barbies growing up.

bands that play the tour especially main stage are made popular by the fans that support them. Tough shit if a female band doesn't draw anyone. The same can be said for sports. Womens college basketball doesn't draw nearly as what Mens college basketball does.
11:01 PM on 06/16/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
I did though and that's the problem. Aside from listing bands that would literally draw next to no one, what solutions does she provide? The entire article comes across as her thinking Kevin Lyman is some god that can just make female punk bands appear out of thin are have them be commercially viable for the tour.

The issue is more deeply rooted in the overall lack of female representation in the punk scene rather than Kevin Lyman deliberately deciding not to feature female bands.
I'm not going to speak for the author, there is plenty there I think you've missed. To your second point: There plenty of "male bands" that draw next to nothing on Warped Tour (or did before gaining a following from getting a chance) as well. Using that as an excuse doesn't hold water for me.
11:04 PM on 06/16/14
philbylink
the shower's in the toilet
User Info.
I fucking HATE feminists. Sorry that their is a lack of females that want to play punk rock/metal/whatever on a grueling festival where you tour in van and drive 15 hours overnight.

it is what it is, nobody is stopping women from achieving anything, they just seem to get pissed off that most bands are made up of male members. Seriously its not that fucking hard to comprehend anymore than men not wanting to play with barbies growing up.
shut up

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version