Username
Password
Streaming News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Streaming
Inside AP.net

T-Mobile Details "Music Freedom" Program

Posted by: Jason Tate (06/18/14)
T-Mobile has introduced a new initiative called "Music Freedom" which will allow a handful of music services to bypass the carrier's monthly data allowances. It's an interesting idea, and one probably exciting to music fans, but as pointed out by The Verge this sets a dangerous precident:
The list of Music Freedom-compatible services currently includes Pandora, Rhapsody, iHeartRadio, iTunes Radio, Slacker, Spotify, Samsung's Milk, and the forthcoming streaming service from electronic music destination Beatport. It'll also be taking votes from customers through its website and on Twitter for other services to add to the list of exemptions. [...] It's a terribly slippery slope: T-Mobile has decided, arbitrarily, that some of the data traveling over its pipes should count against a cap, while other data should not. What's to stop it from using data cap exemptions as a punitive measure against content providers that aren't on good terms with T-Mobile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
10:59 PM on 06/18/14
dannylololol
Stay Hungry. Stay Free.
User Info.
I can dig it. I guess I see where it could be negative, but as someone who hasn't taken the plunge into streaming, this would definitely make it an easy decision to subscribe. (I'll probably subscribe soon anyway)
11:32 PM on 06/18/14
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
Their service sucks anyway...
11:40 PM on 06/18/14
FiendCameron
Why Didn't You Kill Yourself Today?
User Info.
I think it's a little more positive than negative for the consumer, assuming it stays just like this.
11:46 PM on 06/18/14
cowlord
( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
User Info.
Interesting, is this in effect right now or was it just announced?
11:52 PM on 06/18/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Yeah, this seems terribly like the same stuff Comcast is trying to do and get shit for, just with a much better spin on it.
12:24 AM on 06/19/14
mattregan
www.twitter.com/vipregan
User Info.
Here's an idea.. Bring back unlimited data.
01:22 AM on 06/19/14
midkay
i've found a new way
User Info.
Tricky stuff. I mean as long as services are only ever exempted from your data allotment, while none are EVER throttled or capped or limited, it seems unequivocally positive. Just a little bonus to the consumer.

Their job is to make sure this stays fully positive. Your job as consumer is not to get greedy and start whining that your favorite service isn't exempted. Everyone would stay happy that way.

Something tells me it won't be that simple, though...
01:36 AM on 06/19/14
earthtotom
hawktom
User Info.
no t-mobile, so no care.
01:38 AM on 06/19/14
xJavontax
#based
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Here's an idea.. Bring back unlimited data.
T-mobile has unlimited data. Actually, all their plans do, but the unlimited 4G LTE is on like an $80 plan or something.

I'd love this. I hit my 5GB 4G cap with T- Mobile EVERY month because I stream music both through Spotifty and iTunes Match/radio. I'd never be throttled again if this goes through.
02:24 AM on 06/19/14
mattregan
www.twitter.com/vipregan
User Info.
T-mobile has unlimited data. Actually, all their plans do, but the unlimited 4G LTE is on like an $80 plan or something.

I'd love this. I hit my 5GB 4G cap with T- Mobile EVERY month because I stream music both through Spotifty and iTunes Match/radio. I'd never be throttled again if this goes through.
It's not unlimited if they throttle it and Verizon and AT&T don't have unlimited unless you were grandfathered in like 5 years ago.
02:38 AM on 06/19/14
xJavontax
#based
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's not unlimited if they throttle it and Verizon and AT&T don't have unlimited unless you were grandfathered in like 5 years ago.
Technically, it is. You're not getting cut off from data completely, so it's still unlimited, just slow as hell.

But if you want that true unlimited plan you'll have to buy their most expensive tier or switch to sprint (eww)

I really think something needs to be done about the mobile industry and ya ridiculous pricing plans and data caps in the US. It's insulting really.
02:43 AM on 06/19/14
Jake Denning
User Info.

Not anymore, that's why I left Verizon for Sprint, who offer unlimited everything for $80/mo. Verizon offered me 6GB/mo for the current price I was paying for unlimited...nah.
04:28 AM on 06/19/14
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.
No Google Music... (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

EDIT: Hang on, the picture lists Google though the article does not.

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
05:05 AM on 06/19/14
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
User Info.
I am on at&t and I have been finding that it is incredibly easy to hit my cap when streaming through spotify.

I understand the slippery slope it creates but I think this is overall a pro-consumer idea.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests