AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Twitter News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Lana Del Rey Calls Guardian Article "Sinister Ambitions"

Posted by - 01:03 PM on 06/20/14
Lana Del Rey has taken to Twitter (and it looks like since deleted) to respond to the Guardian article we posted about last week. Although Ms. Del Rey directly calls out "Alexis" (probably referring to Alexis Petridis who wrote the review of Ultraviolence for The Guardian), the author of the original piece was Tim Jonze. Tim Jonze has written a follow-up piece that includes the audio files from the original interview.
"i regret trusting the guardian- i didnít want to do an interview but the journalist was persistent. Alexis was masked as a fan but was hiding sinister ambitions and angles Maybe heís actually the boring one looking for something interesting to write about. His leading questions about death and persona were calculated.Ē

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
01:04 PM on 06/20/14
Jason Tate
User Info.

From the Guardian's new article:
Ultimately, the problem with Lana's complaint is that she doesn't seem to know what she's actually complaining about. She's not alleging that I made up her quotes, nor is she claiming that they've been "twisted" or that we've printed them out of context. Instead she seems annoyed by the fact I wanted her to say interesting things and asked questions that caused her to do so. Well sorry, Lana, but that's just me doing my job.
01:08 PM on 06/20/14
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
I thought Jonze did a great job handling this.
01:08 PM on 06/20/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
I can't tell if she is a villain or is just majorly painted to be one. I feel really bad for her, if people are trying to make her into something she isn't.
01:15 PM on 06/20/14
Turkeylegz
C'est La Vie
User Info.
Seriously love Lana but the interviewer did nothing wrong.
01:19 PM on 06/20/14
Bdawg
User Info.
again, she's a jackass
01:24 PM on 06/20/14
codeseven
/* No route to host */
User Info.
We didn't really need The Guardian to tell us she's in a dark place anyway. It's pretty obvious already with her lyrical content and social life. Her clear answers to the clearly asked questions were more just confirmation. Whatever it may be, depression, bipolar disorder, or just any other demons - it'd be great if she dealt with them. Too many entertainers dying too young these days. I also wish she would use this situation to help speak to her fans that may be facing the same hardships.
01:30 PM on 06/20/14
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.

From the Guardian's new article:
Ultimately, the problem with Lana's complaint is that she doesn't seem to know what she's actually complaining about. She's not alleging that I made up her quotes, nor is she claiming that they've been "twisted" or that we've printed them out of context. Instead she seems annoyed by the fact I wanted her to say interesting things and asked questions that caused her to do so. Well sorry, Lana, but that's just me doing my job.

The "she doesn't seem to know what she's complaining about" part is right on. Most of what she says has little to no substance.
01:30 PM on 06/20/14
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
She's just upset with the situation (which, I guess, is understandable), but placing blame on the interviewer seems more out of convenience rather than logic.

Oh, and she remembers she titled her last album Born to Die, right?
01:58 PM on 06/20/14
WordsandMusic
User Info.
Does anyone else have a mental picture of a little girl standing in a schoolyard, pointing to a boy and saying "he called me names"?
02:18 PM on 06/20/14
ComedownMachine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The only thing I think they did wrong is the damn headline that was everywhere. It was a 70 minute interview and THAT was the headline.
02:45 PM on 06/20/14
tell that mick
@kissmeimlazy
User Info.
"If it wasn't that way, I wouldn't be saying it."

02:50 PM on 06/20/14
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
Does anyone else have a mental picture of a little girl standing in a schoolyard, pointing to a boy and saying "he called me names"?
No but your post made me imagine Lana in a schoolgirl outfit so it's all good.
03:51 PM on 06/20/14
beachdude42
https://twitter.com/beachdude42
User Info.
The "she doesn't seem to know what she's complaining about" part is right on. Most of what she says has little to no substance.
Replace "much" with "all" and you're dead on.
05:35 PM on 06/20/14
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
The only thing I think they did wrong is the damn headline that was everywhere. It was a 70 minute interview and THAT was the headline.
It's the most compelling part of the interview according to the reporter, of course it's the headline/attention grabber. Most people wouldn't have bothered reading another boring profile of somebody who usually comes of as shallow unless there was some information that was new or at least interesting.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos