AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Twitter News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Frances Bean Cobain to Lana Del Rey "Death ... Isn't Something...

Posted by - 11:13 AM on 06/23/14
Frances Bean Cobain has taken to Twitter to weigh in on Lana Del Rey's recent Guardian interview.
I'll never know my father because he died young & it becomes a desirable feat because ppl like u think it's "cool". Well, it's fucking not. Embrace life, because u only get one life. The ppl u mentioned wasted that life.Don't be 1 of those ppl

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
11:17 AM on 06/23/14
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Sounds like someone didn't read Lana's response to the quote, sighhhh
11:20 AM on 06/23/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Sounds like someone didn't read Lana's response to the quote, sighhhh
Was there more than this?

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3702592
11:21 AM on 06/23/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
For such a mess of her mother, Frances seems to have a really great head on her shoulders.
11:23 AM on 06/23/14
tell that mick
@kissmeimlazy
User Info.
Sounds like someone didn't read the full transcript or listen to the audio the writer released:

Quote:
Jonze: Is it something that you would see as glamorous in yourself? That's quite a dark question to ask, but like, is there like a fantasy of dying young yourself that you could subscribe to?

Del Rey: Um, yeah. I mean, you know, I wish I was dead already.

Jonze: Don't say that.

Del Rey: I do!

Jonze: Aw you don't.

Del Rey: I do, yeah, I do, I, you know, I don't want to have to, like, keep doing this. You know, but I am.

Jonze: The music side...

Del Rey: Everything.

Jonze: ...being a pop star or just being alive?

Del Rey: Everything. I mean, that's just how I feel. You know, if it wasn't that way, I wouldn't say it...
11:31 AM on 06/23/14
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Yeah, I guess. I don't know, it seems this whole thing is Lana not really knowing what she wants to say or how to say it. Obviously you shouldn't glamorize death like that, but from the above transcript it seems that she definitely has depression-leaning thoughts which show more of problems within herself and the idea of death, than actually glamorizing it.
11:40 AM on 06/23/14
Lightsout911X
Expect me standing tall
User Info.
Reply is pretty spot on. This whole thing is just...odd.
11:44 AM on 06/23/14
beachdude42
@beachdude42
User Info.
Perfectly put by Frances. Suicide has devastating consequences for the families that remain behind, and shouldn't be trivialized.
11:52 AM on 06/23/14
Kiana
And in the end I'd do it all again
User Info.
Obviously this is a soft spot for Frances and I'm not going to condemn what she's saying, but idk how I personally feel about this Lana controversy. If she really has depressive thoughts, idk how I feel about all these people coming for her over it. But I thought Lana mentioned Kurt as one of her heroes in that interview, so I don't blame Frances for being upset about her father's death being linked to glamour.
11:53 AM on 06/23/14
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Yeah, I guess. I don't know, it seems this whole thing is Lana not really knowing what she wants to say or how to say it. Obviously you shouldn't glamorize death like that, but from the above transcript it seems that she definitely has depression-leaning thoughts which show more of problems within herself and the idea of death, than actually glamorizing it.

Well, she also glamorizes abusive relationships. While she doesn't condone them directly she has a lot of impressionable fans who may begin to think a "hit that feels like a kiss" is ok. She's someone who talks a lot but doesn't really have much to say and Francis is absolutely right. Glamorizing death may not be the best idea for someone who is clearly depressed.
12:04 PM on 06/23/14
birdman
Don't hold your breath
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not really a comment on the article itself but I do think it's great that despite the death of her father and her kooky mom, Cobain has turned into a seemingly well-adjusted and intelligent person.
12:05 PM on 06/23/14
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
I get where she's coming from because it obviously would hit close to home, but honestly a reply like this is pretty tasteless imo. You don't know what someone is dealing with, so you shouldn't make those kind of judgements
12:19 PM on 06/23/14
sergioisevil
User Info.
Die young and save yourself.
01:32 PM on 06/23/14
tossit
Gather round children zip it listen
User Info.
I can't stand the whole Lana Del Rey "character" or "persona" or whatever. It's hard to know what we're supposed to take seriously. I just try to not overanalyze it. Also, not a fan of her music at all. It's so boring, I don't get her, and the hype surrounding her.
02:24 PM on 06/23/14
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
User Info.
I get where she's coming from because it obviously would hit close to home, but honestly a reply like this is pretty tasteless imo. You don't know what someone is dealing with, so you shouldn't make those kind of judgements
Regardless of what Lana is going through, she should be aware that there are people out there who can and will hang onto her every word - pop "stardom" comes with its gifts and curses. One of those curses is gaining fans who take everything you say way too seriously and literally - those who become obsessive. She should be more aware of her words and actions in an interview. My $.02

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos