AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Hip-Hop News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Hip-Hop
Inside AP.net

Atmosphere Perform "Kanye West" On Conan...

Posted by: Jason Tate (06/23/14)
Atmosphere performed their new single "Kanye West" on Conan O'Brien a few nights ago -- video is now up.

Submitted by B.Leibo

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
11:49 AM on 06/23/14
AfterTheEulogy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I had always heard that Atmosphere was among the best in modern hip hop. This is the first time I've checked it out. I'm not impressed at all.. I don't know why this song is called "Kanye west" it seems like an attempt to get people to listen. It worked..
12:51 PM on 06/23/14
jiggliotti
Unregistered User
User Info.
I had always heard that Atmosphere was among the best in modern hip hop. This is the first time I've checked it out. I'm not impressed at all.. I don't know why this song is called "Kanye west" it seems like an attempt to get people to listen. It worked..
They've certainly gone a different direction in recent years that some people can't really get into. Don't judge them off one song though - their discography stretches back to the 90's.
02:02 PM on 06/23/14
Timekeeper
Writer
User Info.
I just like talking about Kanye West, even if we're not actually talking about Kanye West.
02:19 PM on 06/23/14
latortuga
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hat tip to Rap Genius:

Quote:
In an interview with NPR, Slug mentions that this track is about the courting of his wife. He named it after the Chicago emcee because he personifies the concept:

I always find it interesting when people want to criticize somebody for having feelings, because you can’t tell me my feelings are incorrect. You can tell me you don’t agree. You can tell me you don’t understand, you don’t relate, but I think when you look at a lot of our superstars, a lot of these people are scared to step on each other’s toes.

I feel like Kanye’s one who’s not and I think that we could use more of that. And so I feel him when he has an outburst, but not so much because I can relate to what he’s outbursting, because I don’t have a life like his. But just because I can relate to loving something so much that you really don’t care what the people perceive or how they judge you for that love.

Edit: if you've never listened to Atmosphere before, my humble opinion is that When Life Gives You Lemons You Paint That Shit Gold is their best album. Start there!
03:33 PM on 06/23/14
muggsy33
User Info.
Hat tip to Rap Genius:

Edit: if you've never listened to Atmosphere before, my humble opinion is that When Life Gives You Lemons You Paint That Shit Gold is their best album. Start there!
thanks for this! very interesting
06:32 PM on 06/23/14
B.Leibo
User Info.
Life gives you Lemons? Uh no, too recent. Start with Ford and Lucy Ford, ...that God Loves Ugly and Seven's Travels are all master pieces. Always loved their rock influence.

Proof:

06:33 PM on 06/23/14
lifeshellaill
User Info.
listen to the "God Loves Ugly" or "Lucy Ford" LPs if you want to check out where atmosphere started blowing up. Early 2000's material.
06:34 PM on 06/23/14
lifeshellaill
User Info.
Life gives you Lemons? Uh no, too recent. Start with Ford and Lucy Ford, ...that God Loves Ugly and Seven's Travels are all master pieces. Always loved their rock influence.

Proof:

just typed pretty much the same thing as this guy so..... listen to what he says
06:36 PM on 06/23/14
B.Leibo
User Info.
just typed pretty much the same thing as this guy so..... listen to what he says
You know what they say, great minds think alike.
04:01 AM on 06/24/14
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.

Proof:

freaking love this song. old atmosphere material is quality but it went downhill pretty quick for me.
06:16 AM on 06/24/14
PulZexCore
Old Crow / Young Cardinal
User Info.
Certainely not the song to get your first impressions from. But this is a guy who has been around since like '97. Check out 'God Loves Ugly', 'When Life Gives you Lemons', and then 'To All My Friends'
04:45 AM on 06/25/14
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
New or old you can't go wrong with Atmosphere.
Too hard to pick a fave but I agree with the above posters on where to start (7's Travels, WLGYL,YPTSG and GLU).

But don't discount:
Strictly Leakage
Leak At Will EP
Sad Clown, Bad ______ EP's

They're all dope.

Here's a few of my fave tracks;

Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives