AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Calamity Jane - We'll Explain When We Get... Album Cover

Calamity Jane - We'll Explain When We Get...

Reviewed by
Calamity Jane - We'll Explain When We Get There EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: April 15, 2014
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Disclaimer: This is not the wailin' chick punk band from the 90's.

Calamity Jane hails from the depths of Central Texas, and at the ripe ages of 16 and 19, are making me feel like I've done nothing with my life. At the first listen of this EP, I was taken back to high school bedroom, laying on my floor, eating Cheetos. This is all I could ever want from a piece of music. Being unsigned, the album's production quality isn't perfect, but there is nothing I hate more than an overproduced punk or pop punk album. This EP does a great job of capturing several great genres, and each of the member's musicianship.

"Sweet" opens We'll Explain When We Get There with a classic pop punk riff but opens up into an old school ballad, followed by a verse that brings me back to the days of good Incubus (yes, there was such a time believe it or not), and then yet another verse in full on screams. Three genres in one song is a dangerous but much appreciated task.

My personal favorite track is "Pidcoke", and it's because it sounds like Blink-182. I hate comparing bands to other bands, it's unfair and often insulting. However, because Calamity Jane does such a great job of mixing genres on an EP of only five tracks, I can't imagine they'd be offended by a Blink comparison. The vocals in this song are a little shaky, but for me, that gives it charm. If you want something perfect and polished, pick another album. "Pidcoke" gets a grubby thumbs up.

With some general life and musical experience, I can see this band growing rapidly, especially in the Texas pop punk scene as we don't have enough of that music in the state. We have enough metal, blues, rock n roll to last a life time, but pop punk is something we lack. Hopefully with bands like Calamity Jane, we can see a change of tide. Check the EP on Spotify with the link below.

Calamity Jane is Gaven McNaney - Guitar
Cameron Brickell - Guitar/Vox
Kevin Quintero - Bass/Lead Vox
Davis Dillon III - Drums

For Fans Of Old Blink 182, Set Your Goals, Garage Pop-Punk, and jumping up and down a lot

Find Them Here http://open.spotify.com/album/1DJ9xCmpdI14yNpwrIswAy

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
09:27 AM on 06/24/14
Kelly Doherty
@DylanintheMovie
User Info.
Nice to have you on the team Caitlin! I'll definitely have a listen.
05:57 PM on 06/24/14
Passion Man
User Info.
cheetos are so good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News