Username
Password
AP.net Staff Content News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Staff Content
Inside AP.net

Staff Content (06/25/14)

Posted by: Ryan Dennehy (06/24/14)
Staff ReviewsBen Frost - A U R O R A (Ryan Dennehy)
Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun (Jake Jenkins)
Staff ArticlesYes, vinyl prices are going up. No, I don't feel bad. (Jason Tate)

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 78
05:06 AM on 06/25/14
Johnnydcp
User Info.
Absolutely great article Jason.
05:34 AM on 06/25/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
Good article. I've been one to complain about that and just simply haven't bought a lot of vinyl that has came out but, you are totally right, why shouldn't bands/labels capitalize on this. They would be dumb not to.
05:45 AM on 06/25/14
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
As someone who doesn't use but is fascinated by vinyls (part of your termed "download generation"), while I agree with many of your sentiments and see your point, I can't help but feel there's a bit of this "you can't afford what I can" elitist or condescending sentiment. Probably not intentional in that way, but that came across to me.
05:52 AM on 06/25/14
Bryan GribbIe
"Don't get hit"- Isai
User Info.
I loved Jason's article a lot but it made me almost regret not buying a Chiodos vinyl for $26 yesterday, haha
05:55 AM on 06/25/14
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
As someone who doesn't use but is fascinated by vinyls (part of your termed "download generation"), while I agree with many of your sentiments and see your point, I can't help but feel there's a bit of this "you can't afford what I can" elitist or condescending sentiment. Probably not intentional in that way, but that came across to me.

It's really that simple. Vinyl has a higher production cost than other forms of recorded media so it'll inherently be more expensive. Second, your mentality completely betrays the subconscious mindset of today's music consumer - "we are all equal, and we all deserve everything." In no other arena of consumption or life does that type of thought stream prevail - you can be upset that you can only afford a Honda but why get mad at the person who can, and does, buy a BMW? Both accomplish the same goal of getting you to from point A to point B in the end.

Edit: Also, vinyl not vinyls. NBD.
06:06 AM on 06/25/14
J.Dick
User Info.
I love records as much as anyone but I wonder what the real numbers are? I know that vinyl has increased in popularity but I still have to imagine it is a very small percentage of music sales.

Also: I but mostly vinyl albums myself but I have a real hatred for Record Store Day. I am all for supporting the local record store (I visit once a week probably) but RSD exclusives are certainly overpriced (particularly when it is just a color variant of a recent album) and the flipper scum who buy that shit then just put it on ebay are the worst. I do think people are getting smarter about that though as I saw most of those prices plummet within a few days.
07:26 AM on 06/25/14
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Good article, also Medium seems like a really cool website.
07:53 AM on 06/25/14
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.

It's really that simple. Vinyl has a higher production cost than other forms of recorded media so it'll inherently be more expensive. Second, your mentality completely betrays the subconscious mindset of today's music consumer - "we are all equal, and we all deserve everything." In no other arena of consumption or life does that type of thought stream prevail - you can be upset that you can only afford a Honda but why get mad at the person who can, and does, buy a BMW? Both accomplish the same goal of getting you to from point A to point B in the end.

I'm not saying a guy who buys a Honda should complain about guys who buy BMW's. In fact, I even think that it's preposterous for guys who can only afford Hondas (i.e. can't shell out the cash for records) to buy BMW's. What I'm criticizing about Jason's article is that the guy who buys BMW's seems like he's complaining that Honda owners are now creeping into his market and buying BMW's.

Sticking to your car analogy. Let's say in the 80's and 90's, only the rich could afford cars. Now in the late 2000's and 2010's, those from the upper and lower middle class have cars too. It is of course a valid complaint from the rich who've had cars for longer (i.e. people like Jason who've had vinyl records for a while now) that those less fortunate don't know how to maintain their cars, become entitled to cars, clog up the roads, etc. But it is also kind of elitist and unfair to do so.

Again, I don't know if Jason meant to come across like that, but that's one of the things that got across to me. Personally, I won't buy a record any time soon because it costs like the equivalent of 40 US dollars or more (idk how much they go for over there) and a college student has no budget for that.

(Re: edit: Hahaha, oops.)
08:20 AM on 06/25/14
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Really good article. The values that we place on certain things in our daily lives really needs to change, myself included. When I was at the Menzingers headliner I told myself I was going to buy PUP's record for $15. However, having fairly recently turned 21 I'm still kind of in my honeymoon stage of buying alcohol and decided to buy two PBR's for like $9 w/ tip. Seeing as though the show was going to get out at midnight I wanted to make sure I had enough cash then in case I needed to take a cab home instead of public transportation, so I didn't buy the record as I could easily buy it online too (as this is what I told myself) but three weeks later I still haven't. The satisfaction of supporting a really great band and owning a physical representation of the time you invested into an album was triumphed by my desire to finally drink a couple beers at shows, which blows. Five months ago I would have owned that record immediately. I'm certainly all for bands and labels capitalizing on the trend, as they very well should, but the values we assign to experiences really needs to shift.
08:23 AM on 06/25/14
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I love records as much as anyone but I wonder what the real numbers are? I know that vinyl has increased in popularity but I still have to imagine it is a very small percentage of music sales.

Also: I but mostly vinyl albums myself but I have a real hatred for Record Store Day. I am all for supporting the local record store (I visit once a week probably) but RSD exclusives are certainly overpriced (particularly when it is just a color variant of a recent album) and the flipper scum who buy that shit then just put it on ebay are the worst. I do think people are getting smarter about that though as I saw most of those prices plummet within a few days.

08:49 AM on 06/25/14
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
The article itself was solid but personally I won't buy a regularly-packaged record for more than $20 unless maybe it was extremely limited and a favorite of mine. I could totally understand why a label would do that though, I'm actually surprised it didn't happens sooner.
09:34 AM on 06/25/14
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
great article Jason. I don't mind the prices of LPs going up as long as the product has something to show for it. The JEW re-presses are certainly worth the money (even though I can't afford them all haha), and even the $40 TDAG re-press, with all the packaging issues and stickergate (lol) churned out an amazing vinyl record very much worth the money for fans. Occasionally, the price gets out of hand for what you're getting (charging 30 bucks for a single lightweight LP is a little ridiculous)--but like you said, it's all details compared to the experience you're getting.
10:11 AM on 06/25/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.

Everyone understands how supply and demand works, no need to be condescending about it.

Demand has increased, which causes the price to increase. But even if global demand increases, someone's own personal spending hasn't. So if an average record starts costing vinyl starts costing $20 instead of $15 suddenly that $60 you have to drop on records gets you one less record you can get. That is one fewer band you can support.

Sure, bands don't owe their fans cheaper vinyl. If it makes economic scene to charge $20 or $30 then that is what they should do. Its just also perfectly reasonable for people to be bummed by the price increase.

Also the car analogy is silly. You're essentially stating that only people with large amounts of disposable income should be JEW fans. Really only works if you're complaining about the $50 limited collectors edition even though the $15 standard option is there. When the only option is a BWM, how can people buy a honda instead?
10:29 AM on 06/25/14
Sean.Murphy
Stay Hungry, Stay Free
User Info.

Also the car analogy is silly. You're essentially stating that only people with large amounts of disposable income should be JEW fans. Really only works if you're complaining about the $50 limited collectors edition even though the $15 standard option is there. When the only option is a BWM, how can people buy a honda instead?

Agreed. When I see pre-order packages come around for certain albums, I think to myself "Jeez, $60 for a vinyl, tshirt, and poster seems excessive, I'll just get the standard vinyl with the download card for $18." I'm not really one that goes for the bells and whistles unless it's a band I really love (I dropped $46 on a gaslight anthem double vinyl picture disc before even blinking an eye)

But when the ONLY option is the $35 after taxes/shipping version, I kinda get a little "meh" about it. I don't wanna go so far as to say people have a RIGHT to, but it's completely understandable IMO.

edit: I also personally don't like shelling out that kind of money on something like that that I'm not gonna receive for about 4 months.

But I guess like Jason said, I don't want to buy it, so I'm not gonna.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests