AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Anberlin News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Anberlin Talk Breakup With Billboard

Posted by - 11:35 AM on 06/26/14
Billboard sat down with Anberlin to talk about the end.
I would rather people say, “Why are they disbanding?” than “Wait, they’re still a band?” That’s what it’s all about. Every band has to know when to hold ‘em, when to fold ‘em. And I just feel like if we want to keep the inspiration, the legacy and everything we’ve done and accomplished as something people are still excited about, we should leave before we’re back in a van playing for 40 people. Twelve years we just put our heart and soul into this, so why leave it with putting a bad taste in peoples' mouths?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 58
11:43 AM on 06/26/14
tub and rug
pissed off > pissed on
User Info.
"..we should leave before we’re back in a van playing for 40 people."

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they are drawing well at Warped. I'm glad they are ending on their own terms with one final headlining tour.
11:47 AM on 06/26/14
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Idk, kind of feel like that's a dumb reason to quit but it's their choice.
11:48 AM on 06/26/14
LouderThanBombs
Fuck NSA
User Info.
Never got too into this band, but have always respected them. That's a perfectly good reason to call it a day. Admirable, really.
11:57 AM on 06/26/14
burnstarsteve
Swimmin' with bow-legged women
User Info.
I definitely agree with their decision, it's better to go out when you're still feeling motivated and creative. The members who want to continue making music can find new avenues and hopefully keep the fire burning a little longer rather than dredging on. There are some bands that will always be worth seeing live (Less Than Jake, for example) and can sustain a drop-off in the quality of their music and still be a draw, but Anberlin doesn't seem like one of those bands to me.
11:59 AM on 06/26/14
theintention
It's like Meow-Schwitz in here.
User Info.
I am gonna miss the shit out of this band. Similar to how I felt after Copeland broke up. Hopefully they make a comeback when they feel it is necessary.
12:01 PM on 06/26/14
FTank
Blank
User Info.
I think it's a perfectly legitimate reason to quit.
12:08 PM on 06/26/14
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
Come on, Billboard. Joey Bruce hasn't been in the band since 2003.
12:16 PM on 06/26/14
FTank
Blank
User Info.
It's unfortunate for the band, but you had to know moving the release date back a month wouldn't go smoothly.
12:28 PM on 06/26/14
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
"..we should leave before we’re back in a van playing for 40 people."

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they are drawing well at Warped. I'm glad they are ending on their own terms with one final headlining tour.
Uh, false? Pretty sure they're drawing great crowds at Warped.
12:31 PM on 06/26/14
crf1895
get kinda awesome
User Info.
crazy to think "Feel Good Drag" was a huge hit on modern rock radios not six years ago and now they're breaking up because not many people care anymore. so sad.
12:36 PM on 06/26/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
crazy to think "Feel Good Drag" was a huge hit on modern rock radios not six years ago and now they're breaking up because not many people care anymore. so sad.
That's how people are reading this? What?
12:39 PM on 06/26/14
crf1895
get kinda awesome
User Info.
That's how people are reading this? What?
he said he wished people would ask why they're breaking up instead of being surprised that they still exist. then there's the 'playing for 40 people in a van' thing. i was also led on by a comment that said they weren't drawing good crowds at Warped.

if this isn't the reason for the split, then that's good, but that's what i got from what he said.
12:43 PM on 06/26/14
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
So much respect for this band for several reasons. Every time I've interacted with them they've been kind and gracious. It's great to see the way they've handled their faith and infused it into their musical in a meaningful way. Plus, they've put out some pretty dang good records. Cities and Vital are my favorites and definitely have a special place in my heart.
12:43 PM on 06/26/14
FTank
Blank
User Info.
he said he wished people would ask why they're breaking up instead of being surprised that they still exist. then there's the 'playing for 40 people in a van' thing. i was also led on by a comment that said they weren't drawing good crowds at Warped.

if this isn't the reason for the split, then that's good, but that's what i got from what he said.
I read it as he doesn't want the band to get to a point where people are surprised they're still around, not that that's already happened.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos