AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hung Up / The Swellers / Lobby Boxer / 1876 - TV... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Hung Up / The Swellers / Lobby Boxer / 1876 - TV...

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (06/29/14)
Hung Up / The Swellers / Lobby Boxer / 1876 - TV Dinner (4 Way Split)
Release Date: May 20, 2014
Record Label: Save Your Generation

Save Your Generation’s a pretty underrated label around here. They’ve got quite a diverse roster – from pop-punk to emo to skate punk to hardcore, they’ve got you covered. This four-way split is even more indication why you ought to get familiar with this label.

Side A of the split is the more straightforward (and slightly better) of the two, featuring a track each by punk bands Hung Up and The Swellers. The latter is especially poignant, as their track is the last they ever recorded. Hung Up’s “Here to Stay” makes good use of the group’s two vocalists, one mellower and the other harsher, before launching into a massive chorus. The song reminds me quite a bit of earlier Citizen material, like “Drown” or “I’m Sick of Waiting,” in the best way possible. The Swellers contribute a cover of Floor’s “Tales of Lolita.” While they don’t do much to change the song, it still sounds like it could be a Swellers song, albeit a crunchier, sludgier one. It’s a goddamn shame to see these guys go, but if this is their swan song, it’s an excellent one.

The second side is the slightly weirder. Lobby Boxer opens it up with “Anxiety,” a messy twinkly song a la Algernon Cadwallader. It’s pretty much a textbook twinkly daddy song, with its insanely complex lead riff and hoarse yells. 1876 closes out the split – “Le Planetarium” is a rough hardcore track with rapid-fire drumming and impressive guitar riffing. Even so, I can’t get behind the vocals, which sound almost choked out.

So while the EP’s A side is the better of the two, it’s still a damn good EP. Prior to hearing this, I was only very familiar with The Swellers. Now I’m scouring the internet for other releases by Hung Up and Lobby Boxer. (Hint: they’re all up for free on Save Your Generation’s bandcamp.) So check out TV Dinner – you may just find your new favorite band.

7/10

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
08:32 AM on 06/30/14
ImAMetaphor
blow your fucking brains out
User Info.
Good to see love for Hung Up. My band almost played a show with those guys earlier this month, but they had to pull out last minute due to a family emergency. Great band, great people.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests