Username
Password
Say Anything News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Say Anything
Inside AP.net

Max Bemis Talks With Pitchfork About...

Posted by: Jason Tate (07/01/14)
Max Bemis of Say Anything talks to that "stupid website with Satan as its figurehead" about Hebrews.
And, eventually, it drove me to drop out of college and pursue music. "Admit It!!!" it was written around 2002, after the first Strokes record came out. This is pre-Vampire Weekend, it's pre-fun. and stuff like that. It was literally the beginnings of the "hipster." It was right then, people were just starting to move to Brooklyn to reclaim it and gentrify it. But I feel like I skirt that line—if you look at me, I could just be any other 30-year-old dude walking around in Greenpoint and my friends and tastes and sense of humor could just put me directly into what could be considered "contrived modern indie guy." But I've always felt so turned off by so many aspects of what that culture has become that I feel like ever since then I've been overcompensating.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
10:47 AM on 07/01/14
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
I think you forgot the link to the interview.
11:12 AM on 07/01/14
Ryan Dennehy
So this is how Emo dies - with thunderous applause
11:21 AM on 07/01/14
ivebeendegaused
User Info.
Did Pitchfork EVER even review one of his records? I know they have a tendency to delete old reviews, but it seems strange that they would get off their high horse for this.
11:22 AM on 07/01/14
Thursdaysox
Sleep Well
User Info.
can't read interviews with max anymore, say anything always sounds worse after for me
11:31 AM on 07/01/14
IceAge/HeatWave
it's never just the hefenrefer
User Info.
interesting that Pitchfork is just now starting to cover a certain segment of 'indie' bands. i always wondered why, say, mewithoutYou was never covered on their site when there are so many elements of their music that appeal to seemingly collective sensibilities on that site.

(truthfully, in mwY's case, it likely has something to do with the label they used to be on)
11:36 AM on 07/01/14
hoosierbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
interesting that Pitchfork is just now starting to cover a certain segment of 'indie' bands. i always wondered why, say, mewithoutYou was never covered on their site when there are so many elements of their music that appeal to seemingly collective sensibilities on that site.

(truthfully, in mwY's case, it likely has something to do with the label they used to be on)
mewithoutYou will always be one of those bands that inspired the popular bands. Look at La Dispute. They're huge, and they owe a lot of their sound to mwY.
11:37 AM on 07/01/14
IceAge/HeatWave
it's never just the hefenrefer
User Info.
mewithoutYou will always be one of those bands that inspired the popular bands. Look at La Dispute. They're huge, and they owe a lot of their sound to mwY.
i think that's true. of course, i like mwY a hundred times more, but it's whatever. i'll just always root for their music to relate a broader audience.
11:47 AM on 07/01/14
WishYouAway
User Info.
Well, that was exactly what I expected Pitchfork interviewing Max Bemis to end up like.
11:54 AM on 07/01/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
This was bad
11:56 AM on 07/01/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Did Pitchfork EVER even review one of his records? I know they have a tendency to delete old reviews, but it seems strange that they would get off their high horse for this.
Nope, but they've been doing a great job of featuring bands they never used to (Balance and Composure, Fireworks, Modern Baseball, etc.) Wondering if this will get a review.
11:59 AM on 07/01/14
OpIvy57
User Info.
Ian Cohen is a cancer.
12:10 PM on 07/01/14
Grohl
RATA
User Info.
They shit on him once in a retrospective on Green Day's first two albums.
12:20 PM on 07/01/14
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
pitchfork is a waste of time
01:17 PM on 07/01/14
asthenia*
Never to see any other way...
User Info.
i'm all for say anything/emo/whatever getting more press but i have yet to see any p4 coverage that doesn't come off as jumping on the bandwagon. they don't rarely seem to know what they're talking about and it shows. this interview was pretty shit.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums