Chelsea Grin - Ashes to Ashes Album Cover

Chelsea Grin - Ashes to Ashes

Reviewed by
Chelsea Grin - Ashes to Ashes
Record Label: Artery Recordings
Release Date: July 8, 2014
“Nothing will ever beat My Damnation!”

Evolve sucked. Is Chelsea Grin a shitty melodic metalcore band now?”

Now that that’s taken care of, let’s discuss Ashes to Ashes. It’s really good. While hardcore fans will bitch and moan at the less heavy direction the band has taken, nearly every other aspect of the band has been improved upon. The songwriting is tighter, the instrumentals are far more technical and interesting, the lyrics…well the lyrics are still shit, BUT that doesn’t take away from the fact that Ashes to Ashes is thematic, relatively diverse, and the best album that Chelsea Grin has ever made.

While the band has not completely abandoned their roots, they have added elements that keep things fresh. Violins, orchestral moments, a truly beautiful piano interlude, and background choirs all help to make the album a layered experience. Even with these additions, Chelsea Grin is still very heavy. Not leaving their death metal influences, blast beat and double kick drumming, deep growling vocals, heavy breakdowns, and distorted guitars can be found throughout Ashes to Ashes, predominately on tracks like “Playing with Fire,” “Angels Shall Sin, Demons Shall Pray,” and “Morte ætérna.”

However, not everything has improved as the lyrics still sound like they were written by a really pissed off teenager. Songs like “Sellout” ("Stop your bullshit, shut your mouth, you’re overrated and foul, fuck you") and “Waste Away” ("Help me, dear god won’t someone help me to stop the bleeding. Please someone, take my hand, my thoughts misleading") show that the band has a long way to go with their lyricism.

Ashes to Ashes can also drag. At just over an hour long with 15 songs, four of them being more than five minutes, it seems like Chelsea Grin is trying a little too hard to be epic. For such a technical, fast-paced album, it’s disappointing and boring to have breakdowns for over a minute or 30-second lead-ins to the next song.

Even with these problems, Ashes to Ashes is plain awesome. After hearing tracks like the massive, technical instrumental “…To Ashes” My Damnation seems like old, boring news. The lyrics are still terrible and things can drag for a bit, but Chelsea Grin has gained a dedicated fan with this album. If they can make things more concise and write decent lyrics, LP 4 will be phenomenal.

Recommended If You Like Whitechapel, Carnifex, Suicide Silence, Thy Art Is Murder, Suffokate

General InformationTrack Listing:
1. Playing with Fire
2. Pledge Allegiance
3. Morte ætérna
4. Nightmares
5. Illuminate
6. Sellout
7. Waste Away
8. Ashes...
9. ...To Ashes
10. Angels Shall Sin, Demons Shall Pray
11. Letters
12. Cheers to Us
13. Clockwork
14. Undying
15. Dust to Dust

Official Website
Facebook
Twitter
This review is a user submitted review from Niko John. You can see all of Niko John's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
03:00 PM on 07/24/14
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
Great review. Evolve is a favorite EP of mine and this CD is contending for my AOTY... Tracks 7-15 are flawless, especially the last three.

Lyrics are often bad, but they do have some gems scattered throughout; "The only demon I believe in is myself!", and "Come to me with bloodlust/Let me quench your thirst/Black roses fall around us/Let me be your first", where, when in context with the song, are pure evil. Love it.
10:11 PM on 07/24/14
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
Most of the album actually is pretty heavy. Some idiots just instantly shut down at the mere thought of melody and/or clean vocals.

Album is mostly solid, great to listen to in a car with a decent amount of bass or on a speaker system with a lot of bass.
06:20 AM on 07/25/14
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Agreed on the review/comments. It's an enjoyable and heavy banger and great for the gym. Unfortunately most will never look past the name recognition and give it a chance here.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos