AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

UK News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

"Punk Has a Problem With Women. Why?"

Posted by - 10:55 AM on 07/03/14
Charlotte Richardson Andrews, writing for The Guardian:
For all the films and programmes about women's role in punk, their recognition has been a problem since the 1970s and it looks like very little has changed. Women were a part of punk from the beginning as musicians, promoters, venue heads, artists, provocateurs, community organisers, documenting their local scenes in zines, films, books and photographs. As LA punk veteran Alice Bag has pointed out, punk started out as an inclusive and diverse movement, but was quickly annexed by white dudes. Women have had to fight for space and recognition in punk ever since.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 151
11:12 AM on 07/03/14
sullivanfenton
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
what doesn't have a woman problem these days?
11:19 AM on 07/03/14
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
Women problems are suffering from a huge women problem.

Honestly, this over-analysis I've seen as of late is getting pretty ridiculous. Nothing is perfect if you put it this much under the microscope.
11:23 AM on 07/03/14
CrypticHistory
Recommend me new music
User Info.
Doesn't hurt to talk about it rather than write it off
11:24 AM on 07/03/14
tacotruck
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Honestly, this over-analysis I've seen as of late is getting pretty ridiculous. Nothing is perfect if you put it this much under the microscope.
easy statement to make when you're not affected by the ramifications on a daily basis
11:29 AM on 07/03/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
what doesn't have a woman problem these days?
This is sadly pretty true. But its a cultural problem that as a whole is unfortunately probably too big to tackle. Too much resistance from people who don't think its a problem, too big of a mountain to climb.

But the punk scene doesn't have to conform to societies woes. It should be out at front fighting for change. I like to think there is a large enough percentage of punk fans who think women are people too and who see the gender imbalance in the industry as a problem that maybe things don't have to be this way, at least within the wider punk community.
11:36 AM on 07/03/14
domotime2
NYe Mets Are My Favorite Squadron
User Info.
this article doesn't add anything new to the discussion we've been having all summer. I agree that female punk acts (either all girl or female singers) have been the minority in the scene, and boy o boy do I wish Tsunami Bomb, the Muffs, and Dollyrots were bigger....but I ask...

How does the AP community want to fix this problem?

Also, Joan Jett, Debbie Harry, Lita Ford, Pat Benetar, Kim Gordon, the Sounds' Maja, Gwen Stefani and Hayley Williams do exist right?
11:37 AM on 07/03/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.

who said anything about 'perfect'? how about 'not a shitty representation of the demographic that enjoys said thing'? is that OK with you?
11:41 AM on 07/03/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
this article doesn't add anything new to the discussion we've been having all summer. I agree that female punk acts (either all girl or female singers) have been the minority in the scene, and boy o boy do I wish Tsunami Bomb, the Muffs, and Dollyrots were bigger....but I ask...

How does the AP community want to fix this problem?

Also, Joan Jett and the blackhearts are left out of this article?

why are you singling out 'all-girl' or 'female-fronted' bands? you're already displaying your bias - it's about more women in bands (in any capacity), more women working behind the scenes promoting, more women behind the mixing board, running labels, etc. It's about the scene being strengthened by becoming less white and male.
11:42 AM on 07/03/14
domotime2
NYe Mets Are My Favorite Squadron
User Info.
why are you singling out 'all-girl' or 'female-fronted' bands? you're already displaying your bias - it's about more women in bands (in any capacity), more women working behind the scenes promoting, more women behind the mixing board, running labels, etc. It's about the scene being strengthened by becoming less white and male.
Okay so you're saying that there needs to be a larger influx of women in the music industry as a hole, not just singers and/or bands with women. I don't think this article mentioned that.
11:46 AM on 07/03/14
The Mysterious
Amantas sunt amentes.
User Info.

/thread
11:53 AM on 07/03/14
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The only way I would agree with you is if you were saying that sexism is rife in nearly all parts of culture, so punk is perhaps no different by osmosis. Otherwise I complete disagree with you, and you're being dismissive just because you're ignorant.
11:55 AM on 07/03/14
BSmittyAu
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If a band is good i don't really care if there members are male, female, dogs, cats, spirits caught between this world and the next, etc. I really don't understand this issue purely from the standpoint of being a music fan. Where exactly are women supposed to be getting the shaft in punk music that can't be directly related to their band just simply needing to write better music? I really am curious.
12:00 PM on 07/03/14
The Mysterious
Amantas sunt amentes.
User Info.
This feels like a waste of news space. I remember seeing Tonight Alive a couple months back, and Jenna eggrolled the entire feminist movement in one sentence: if you are passionate enough, opportunities will be available in the music industry whether you are male or female, black or white. Drawing so much attention to this "problem" polarizes what shouldn't be a problem, groups form and argue while we completely forget that we're all just PEOPLE in the end.

This isn't the 1960's, Ive been involved in the music industry for 4 years now and not once have I come across a sexist barrier or bias that would seriously prevent a woman from taking the opportunity to make music; as long as it's good, we will listen regardless of gender, because gender doesn't have any relevance to quality. Just look at Eisley or Paramore, for crying out loud.

EDIT: grammar corrections.
12:05 PM on 07/03/14
The Mysterious
Amantas sunt amentes.
User Info.
The only way I would agree with you is if you were saying that sexism is rife in nearly all parts of culture, so punk is perhaps no different by osmosis. Otherwise I complete disagree with you, and you're being dismissive just because you're ignorant.
How very presumptuous. My extended clarification is above ^

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version