AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Beartooth - Disgusting Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 6
Production 6
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 60%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.72
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 5.92
Production 6.72
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6.47
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Average: 65%
Inside AP.net

Beartooth - Disgusting

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (07/03/14)
Beartooth - Disgusting
Release Date: June 10, 2014
Record Label: Red Bull

Last year, ex-Attack Attack! frontman Caleb Shomo dropped his debut EP with his new band, Beartooth. Entitled Sick, it showcased a metalcore sound, yes – but one more influenced by the likes of Norma Jean or Every Time I Die than Risecore bands. It proved Shomo to be an adept singer and a passable enough screamer, and to be honest, it was a rather enjoyable release.

Now he’s back with Disgusting, which finds the band experimenting a bit with styles and themes. Or perhaps I should say topics – the album’s main theme, lyrically, seems to be overcoming obstacles and believing in oneself, but the scenarios are a bit different this time around. Shomo’s still overcoming his drinking problem (“I Have a Problem,” “Relapsing”), but he’s also taking a stand against child abuse (“Beaten-In Lips,” “Sick & Disgusting”) and suicide (“Body Bag,” “Ignorance Is Bliss,” “Me In My Own Head”). Throughout all this are scattered religious references, the most telling of which being “Sin will not control us” from “Dead.” This line pretty accurately sums up the lyrical content on Disgusting – yes, Caleb Shomo has problems, but he will overcome them and so will you. However, as great and uplifting as the messages are, sometimes the execution is lacking – see “One life and one decision/make sure it ends with you still living” from “Body Bag” or “Patience is a virtue I no longer have/I try to find emotion in my broken past” from “One More” or “Life just sucks when all you know is the bottom/it’s not your choice, there’s no escaping it” from “In Between.”

But Shomo’s capable enough, vocally, that some of this can be excused. As a lead singer, he’s very talented. His screaming leaves a bit to be desired, but at least it’s discernible from the usual deep growl. Musically, I said the band experiments a bit, which is good. But most of that experimentation falls a bit flat. “Dead” is the heaviest and fastest song the band’s ever written, devoid of any clean vocals (which are easily the best aspect of the band); “Me In My Own Head” and “In Between” feature “whoa-oh-oh” chants (which are every bit as awful as you’d expect); “Sick & Disgusting” begins with Shomo speaking over typical hardcore riffs (a trend that needs to die).

It’s not all bad though, I promise. The band retains the catchiness found on Sick, with “Beaten-In Lips,” ”Body Bag,” and “Keep Your American Dream” having the most memorable hooks on the album, the latter of those is notable for being the least heavy song on the album, until it gives way to a generic breakdown. The introduction to “One More” is a step outside the box for Beartooth, with ambient riffing, until it gives way to a generic breakdown. They return to that ambient, muted sound in the song’s bridge, and it gives it a unique feel from the rest of the album. “Sick & Disgusting” is a slow song, which eschews, for the most part, the tropes that plague the rest of the album. As such, it’s the most successful track of Beartooth’s career, and gives us a glimpse of the promise hidden somewhere in the band that could be realized if they’d stray more from the typical metalcore sound. While, yes, Shomo is a good vocalist and yes, the band can craft hooks, it’s all surrounded in too much of the same to be notable. It’s a worthy attempt for the band, but ultimately it falls prey to the clichés they managed to avoid almost entirely on their debut EP. Here’s hoping they can find that sound again.

6/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38
12:46 PM on 07/03/14
Niko John
https://twitter.com/nikovercelletto
User Info.
The review is kind of everywhere, but I can understand the sentiment.

I enjoyed Sick, but I have yet to take a listen to this. I'm kind of over the metalcore scene so we will see if this pulls me back in.
12:59 PM on 07/03/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
I'm surprised- after speaking with you, I was expecting a higher score for this! Regardless, I'll give it a spin. Good review sir.
01:20 PM on 07/03/14
Jake Denning
User Info.
Beartooth kicked ASS on Warped. I ended up watching them with Kevin Jordan and Keith Buckley in Seattle and being really surprised on how much they bring it.
01:22 PM on 07/03/14
The Mysterious
Amantas sunt amentes.
User Info.
Goodness, that low of a score? I'd give it an 8 personally, there's some ingenuity to be found in what is one is one of the few rare pure metalcore albums around; no synths, no gimmicks, just guitar/bass/drum. Sure, its been done before but Shomo and company does it pretty well.
02:45 PM on 07/03/14
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
I like this album but the chorus of Beaten in lips just makes me cringe. Yes it has a good message, but it just sounds so cheesy.
03:18 PM on 07/03/14
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Goodness, that low of a score? I'd give it an 8 personally, there's some ingenuity to be found in what is one is one of the few rare pure metalcore albums around; no synths, no gimmicks, just guitar/bass/drum. Sure, its been done before but Shomo and company does it pretty well.
I'm surprised- after speaking with you, I was expecting a higher score for this! Regardless, I'll give it a spin. Good review sir.

See, I do enjoy this album. Truly. It's just that it's so monotonous - there are so few ways to distinguish the songs from one another and they do a bunch of things I hate - breakdowns galore and screamed verses/sung prechoruses/sung choruses/breakdowns in the bridge on nearly every song. Yes, they do it better than most, but they're still doing the same thing as everyone else.

Beartooth kicked ASS on Warped. I ended up watching them with Kevin Jordan and Keith Buckley in Seattle and being really surprised on how much they bring it.
Do you like them on record ?
05:16 PM on 07/03/14
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Cannot get into these vocals at all
05:30 PM on 07/03/14
jenovaproject
User Info.
I think this is a fair review. The lyrics are way too heavy handed and the music does indeed become quite redundant.
05:31 PM on 07/03/14
jenovaproject
User Info.
It feels like they took a lot more time writing the EP.
06:46 PM on 07/03/14
skoopy48
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love this album, but I can understand the criticism. Its just so fun tho
07:18 PM on 07/03/14
Quijiba
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Cannot get into these vocals at all
Yeah me either. I can't really stand this band recorded. But like Jake said, they fucking bring it live. For sure one of the better bands i've seen in the last year, even if it was in passing.
08:30 PM on 07/03/14
cowlord
( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
User Info.
The review is kind of everywhere, but I can understand the sentiment.

I enjoyed Sick, but I have yet to take a listen to this. I'm kind of over the metalcore scene so we will see if this pulls me back in.
I feel like my opinions on the album are kind of everywhere too so I get it. It ranges from great to eye-roll for me at various parts of the record.
09:12 PM on 07/03/14
jrockisthebest
jrock is my nickname
User Info.
fun album way better then attack attack! last two albums
04:05 PM on 07/04/14
AquaMan
Constantly evolving...
User Info.
Caught them when they made a pitstop in KC last year and I cannot agree with you more. I don't think I've ever seen a vocalist jump into the crowd and still manage to sing/scream his lines... Shomo did it twice.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums