AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Funny News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

How Bands Use Social Media and The Headaches It Brings

Posted by - 09:47 PM on 07/06/14
Since it's officially Monday on the east coast, I can't think of a better way to start the week. We're all products of the social media age, so we know what it's like to be bombarded with concert invites, band spam and unrealistic expectations from local bands. Jump to the replies to watch a hilarious video that pretty much sums up most of our lives working in the music industy.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 44
09:47 PM on 07/06/14
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
10:01 PM on 07/06/14
SupMikecheck
The Official @SupMikecheck
User Info.
I disagree with alot of this video, Im a local artist (solo artist) and whether you want to be this way on social media or not, you have to do something if you want to get your name around. The business isnt always easy with everything almost turning into a popularity contest nowdays its not even about the music or what you know its about who you know sliding you up into the right hands. But without those leads and social media being the easiest way to get new eyes on your music, its not a bad idea to take advantage of it. Maybe some bands overdue it on the advertising like alot do and that kind of sucks because the unsigned annoying bands make it even harder for unsigned serious artists trying to get a chance to spotlight. But overall its pretty easy to tell who is serious and who is not but the video is kind of lame.
10:16 PM on 07/06/14
ChristianLFTW
That's not a noyf. This is a noyf.
User Info.
When he said 50 likes and he'd release the promo for the album art, I lost it.
10:41 PM on 07/06/14
rob_mylo
@itstherobster
User Info.
Hilarious.
10:51 PM on 07/06/14
ComedownMachine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I know so many bands that pull this shit haha
11:00 PM on 07/06/14
qwerty22
--
User Info.
so many people missed the point completely.
11:10 PM on 07/06/14
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
*annoucement coming soon announcement*
11:15 PM on 07/06/14
Amongster
Still In Last Place
User Info.
Spot on.
11:38 PM on 07/06/14
saintnumberfive
Don't wake me, I plan on sleeping
User Info.
Meme!!!
11:42 PM on 07/06/14
ImAMetaphor
Not throwing stones at you anymore
User Info.
...My band has done most, if not all of this.
01:30 AM on 07/07/14
AeroIce
Post-Hardcore Enthusiast
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've just learned to accept that "coming soon" means "we have no idea when it will come out, if ever." I have a list on my phone of bands that have music "coming soon", as in they have posted on social media about them writing or recording, and some bands have been on it for years without releasing any official release.

Unless there's an actual date listed, not a month, not a year, not a week, but a single specific day listed for the release of music, I won't believe it.

I don't even know if the constant posting of status updates with "coming soon" or hype statuses even help with popularity. You know what people want? To hear your music. The only hype I like is specific dates. And then you know what you do? Follow through with your word.

Or just don't really hype anything and announce an entire pre-order, track listing, release date, single all at once. That's the best kind of announcement.
02:19 AM on 07/07/14
more heart
Regular-Sized Rudy
User Info.
It kind of amazes me that any musician thinks this type of promotion is beneficial to their success. This is like bad marketing 101.
03:52 AM on 07/07/14
Greg
User Info.
Nothing about this stuff bugs me more than the "get us to # of likes and we will do X". Bands should not hold things hostage from their fans.
04:42 AM on 07/07/14
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
This is exactly what I think of whenever dudes I make music with say we should get a facebook page. Shit is just sad to me, much prefer just releasing content and occasionally posting related stuff on tumblr.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos