AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Show Review: Brand New, Into It. Over It., Dinosaur Pile-Up

Posted by - 07:00 AM on 07/07/14
This past Saturday, I got to see Brand New put on one hell of a set on their summer run with Into It. Over It. and Dinosaur Pile-Up at The Pageant in St. Louis. Hit the replies to read the full review of the show.
Unlike most bands that take their sweet time between releases and tours, Brand New never seem to run the risk of fading into irrelevancy, it just makes their fans hungrier.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 33
07:01 AM on 07/07/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
Show ReviewAbout five years ago, I had the pleasure of seeing Brand New live for the first time on their Daisy tour, and since 2009 I've been waiting for another chance to see them again, though for a while there it seemed like I never would. Thankfully, when things in the Brand New camp started picking up steam earlier this year, one of the several tour dates announced for their summer run brought them back to The Pageant here in St. Louis. Demand was much higher this time around; while 2009's show sold out a couple of days before the show, this one sold out within a matter of minutes when tickets went on sale. Unlike most bands that take their sweet time between releases and tours, Brand New never seem to run the risk of fading into irrelevancy, it just makes their fans hungrier.

To kick the night off, Dinosaur Pile-Up took the stage. This UK trio brought a ton of energy to the big room, and their blend of grunge and alt rock was plenty enjoyable. The band made the most of their 30 minute time slot, and by the end of their set it seemed like they had won over more than a few new fans. Evan Weiss' Into It. Over It. was up next, and although he typically tours the country by himself with an acoustic guitar, Weiss had a full backing band with him to help bring his music to life. The band tore through a set of songs new and old, most of which came from last year's Intersections. I've never been a huge Into It. Over It. fan, and while the performance was undoubtedly solid, it didn't exactly change my stance on them. Still, it was a set that any fan of the band would have a blast with.

At around 9:55, the lights dimmed and Olivia Newton-John's “Please Don't Keep Me Waiting” started blaring over the sound system, exposing that Brand New sense of humor while making it abundantly clear how self-aware these guys are. The whole thing played out before the stage went completely black, and as the band walked out the place erupted with applause and cheers. Brand New launched into a typically fast, loud, and chaotic rendition of “Sink” to start things off. They followed it up with three more Daisy songs, each one eliciting a very strong crowd response. The next part of the set was heavy with Deja Entendu tracks, and fan favorites like “Sic Transit Gloria” and “Okay I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't” got the crowd especially pumped up. Jesse Lacey and crew added in some of the noisy and unpredictable tendencies of Daisy tracks into these songs, with an extended bridge on “Okay I Believe You” and an interesting take on the “Sic Transit Gloria” bridge helping these songs fit right in with where the band is at right now, despite the fact that they're a decade old at this point. They did bust out “Seventy Times Seven” for the old faithful fans in the crowd, and while everyone seemed to lose their mind over it, it was the only part of the night where the band seemed like they were going through the motions.

The back half of the set was where things really got intense, as that's when the Devil and God songs got brought out. They played the entire first half of the record, though not in exact order. It was a treat getting to see “Millstone” live, and with the extra percussion set up it sounded even better than it does on record. They also played “Limousine,” and in one of the heavier moments of the night, Jesse stayed out on stage alone at the end with the distortion of his guitar cranked to full blast as he yelled the final bit of background vocals again and again (“I”ll never have to buy adjacent plots of earth/We'll never have to rot together underneath the dirt/I'll never have to lose my baby in the crowd/I should be laughing right now”). Brand New performances can be emotionally taxing, and this moment in the night brought everything to a boiling point. As if that wasn't enough, they closed out the set with the one-two punch of “Degausser” and “You Won't Know,” and while the transition between them was a little bit awkward, it was a heavy and cathartic way to close off the set. The ending of “You Won't Know” was extended to include the outro jam they've been doing for quite a while now, but that didn't make it any less captivating and downright stunning. Jesse thanked the crowd before the band disappeared off stage and the feedback eventually faded as the house lights came back on.

Everyone has their opinions on Brand New, and the way they treat their fans has always come under fire from certain people, but after the performance they gave there is no doubt in my mind that this band still loves what they do and are endlessly appreciative of the support they've been given despite their lack of activity in recent years. Each band member put a ton of passion into their performances, and even though Jesse could get a little bit lazy with his vocal melodies on some of the older songs, he also infused a ton of energy and passion into his vocals at points, often going crazy and screaming his lungs out in the way we've all grown to know and love. Everything was just super tight, making the fact that these guys were once a scrappy pop-punk band at the turn of the millennium even more awe-inspiring. The evolution of Brand New over the years has been unmatched by nearly any other band in the scene, and although we've been waiting for the next chapter for a pretty long time now, it's both comforting and exciting to know that these guys are still kicking and as good as ever.

Brand New SetlistSink
Gasoline
At the Bottom
You Stole
Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades
I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light
The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot
Okay I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't
Seventy Times Seven
The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows
Sowing Season (Yeah)
Millstone
Limousine
Jesus Christ
Degausser
You Won't Know
07:16 AM on 07/07/14
rbf737
User Info.
I'm miffed that their date for me sold out in the time it takes to refresh a browser apparently, but when I last saw them I guess 5 years ago they were amazing and they haven't put out anything new since, so I guess it's not a big deal. The set you got looks pretty similar to what I remember back then.
07:17 AM on 07/07/14
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
User Info.
Dinosaur Pile-Up is fantastic for those that want to check them out.
07:19 AM on 07/07/14
Jake Jenkins
User Info.
Dinosaur Pile-Up is fantastic for those that want to check them out.
i was definitely impressed
07:25 AM on 07/07/14
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
User Info.
i was definitely impressed
Yeah I just heard them for the first time two weeks ago and I was very excited about it. Trying to recommend them to as many people as possible.
07:33 AM on 07/07/14
absintheparty9
Step back. Evaluate. Recognize.
User Info.
Solid review man. My only time seeing them previously was last year at Riotfest, so it was a real treat to catch them at The Pageant. The way the setlist was arranged by album chunks worked perfectly for me personally. Switching out 70x7 for something else would have been my only request. I never ever thought I would feel that way, but after wailing that song with friends so many times over the past 10 years, I'd rather see them tear up a different track.
Seeing Devil and God tracks live though is one hell of an experience. Limousine and Degausser were my favorites. Jesse was really on his game, and he seemed like he was really enjoying himself.
07:42 AM on 07/07/14
contra11mundum
I am not magnificent.
User Info.
Exact setlist from Milwaukee. Your write up is a perfect representation of how I felt about that show, only it was my first time seeing them. Fantastic show and fanstastic review.

Also, there were a few moments where his vocals were just haunting. An example being the "in heaven there's no husbands and wives" section in You Won't Know. My goodness.
07:45 AM on 07/07/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Dinosaur Pile-Up is awesome, and that setlist is perfect...any idea of IIOI is supporting during the Pittsburgh date, as well? Also, get a good look at any merch, Jake? Great write-up.
07:53 AM on 07/07/14
Longlivedtm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Solid review! This was my 7th Brand New show and honestly the best I've seen them. Not so say it has ever been bad they are always amazing. But this show everything just seemed perfectly in place. The crowd was killer, lighting was perfect and they seemed thrilled to be back out on the road. My only wish was that we got a new song ha.

To answer someone else's merch question there were 6 t-shirts some cool ones some meh ones. No vinyl sadly.
07:54 AM on 07/07/14
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Dinosaur Pile-Up is awesome, and that setlist is perfect...any idea of IIOI is supporting during the Pittsburgh date, as well? Also, get a good look at any merch, Jake? Great write-up.
At Pegasus and Summerfest they only had a couple shirts. If you go to the tour discussion thread for the BN tour I think somebody posted a photo and some descriptions.

And IIOI is only doing two shows with them, I believe.
08:00 AM on 07/07/14
mms13
should i say something sensational?
User Info.
Same setlist as Summerfest. I said this in that thread, but briefly, I find the ordering of Brand New's set very odd (how the grouped the albums together), but it was good overall.

You make a good point about how they kind of Daisy-ify all the older material. I took a small video during "Quiet Things". Went back and listened to it the next day, and quite frankly Jesse sounds like shit (just screaming, never really hitting any notes).

I dunno, I love Brand New but this show didn't really leave me dying to see them again any time soon.

Good review, though. Oh and I thought Into It. Over It. were awesome.
08:05 AM on 07/07/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
Hopefully someone will have a full video of this show like Pegasus. It's very annoying how awesome this setlist was compared to the one at Pegasus.
08:05 AM on 07/07/14
Jake Jenkins
User Info.
Solid review man. My only time seeing them previously was last year at Riotfest, so it was a real treat to catch them at The Pageant. The way the setlist was arranged by album chunks worked perfectly for me personally. Switching out 70x7 for something else would have been my only request. I never ever thought I would feel that way, but after wailing that song with friends so many times over the past 10 years, I'd rather see them tear up a different track.
Seeing Devil and God tracks live though is one hell of an experience. Limousine and Degausser were my favorites. Jesse was really on his game, and he seemed like he was really enjoying himself.

yeah, i wasn't stoked on 70x7 at all to be honest but basically everyone else was haha. would've rather seen another deja cut for sure.

Exact setlist from Milwaukee. Your write up is a perfect representation of how I felt about that show, only it was my first time seeing them. Fantastic show and fanstastic review.

Also, there were a few moments where his vocals were just haunting. An example being the "in heaven there's no husbands and wives" section in You Won't Know. My goodness.
yeah he sounded really fucking good when he was normally singing too and he put a lot into it. i was really impressed, he was better than i remembered from 2009
not sure about IIOI being in pittsburgh, and i didnt swing by merch because i had no money and didn't want to depress myself, haha
Same setlist as Summerfest. I said this in that thread, but briefly, I find the ordering of Brand New's set very odd (how the grouped the albums together), but it was good overall.

You make a good point about how they kind of Daisy-ify all the older material. I took a small video during "Quiet Things". Went back and listened to it the next day, and quite frankly Jesse sounds like shit (just screaming, never really hitting any notes).

I dunno, I love Brand New but this show didn't really leave me dying to see them again any time soon.

Good review, though. Oh and I thought Into It. Over It. were awesome.
i can see how looking back at a video of him screaming instead of singing would sound bad, but in the moment i thought those moments were amazing, especially when he screamed during the quiet verse of "you stole"
08:06 AM on 07/07/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
At Pegasus and Summerfest they only had a couple shirts. If you go to the tour discussion thread for the BN tour I think somebody posted a photo and some descriptions.

And IIOI is only doing two shows with them, I believe.
Awesome, thanks so much

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version