AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Record Sales News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Streaming Up, Sales Down in 2014

Posted by - 10:10 PM on 07/07/14
The first half of the year is trending downward for music sales.
Album sales dropped nearly 15% compared with the same period last year, and overall music consumption, which combines sales and streaming activity, dropped 3.3%, according to figures released by the sales and streaming monitoring service. But taken individually, on-demand streaming of music and videos showed a combined increase of 42% during the first half of this year, with video streaming up 35% and audio streaming jumping just over 50% compared with 2013.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
10:44 PM on 07/07/14
Robb
ism
User Info.
We need The 20/20 Experience Part III.
04:02 AM on 07/08/14
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
This is not surprising in any way really

It'll only be exciting if there's like an eight year wait between
05:49 AM on 07/08/14
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
This is the first year that I've switched to streaming services (I use Spotify) and it's significantly cut down on the amount of music I buy.
06:36 AM on 07/08/14
Amongster
Take A Deep Breath
User Info.
As convenient as streaming is, and as limited as my music budget is, I still don't feel right repeatedly listening to albums I enjoy without purchasing them. I understand artists barely make anything off album sales, but services like Spotify don't exactly help them pay their bills.
06:38 AM on 07/08/14
baton
ftfmusic.net
User Info.
;(
06:39 AM on 07/08/14
J.Dick
User Info.
He needs to stop making music for at least 7 years to make a bunch of terrible movies.
06:48 AM on 07/08/14
huludfan82
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is the year i've switched to vinyl, so i've bought less but spent a bit more, i guess this isn't to surprising though
07:12 AM on 07/08/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
streaming up 42% and LP sales up 40%. would love to time-warp to 2007 and interview a bunch of major label people and ask them what they think about streaming and vinyl.
07:18 AM on 07/08/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
As convenient as streaming is, and as limited as my music budget is, I still don't feel right repeatedly listening to albums I enjoy without purchasing them. I understand artists barely make anything off album sales, but services like Spotify don't exactly help them pay their bills.
It's a double edged sword for sure. I hardly buy any music anymore, and I feel bad about it at times. But, I've found a ton of new music that I never would have dug for before. If it translates into tickets purchased, word of mouth advertising, etc. does it become worth it? I'm not sure of the answer, but I am interested to see how artists, especially those that have come up with streaming, deal with it in a financial sense.
07:30 AM on 07/08/14
Thursdaysox
Sleep Well
User Info.
I pay for Spotify and therefore other music purchases are few and far between. I am however going to more shows than ever.... coincidence?
07:40 AM on 07/08/14
Tyler Dumont
@tylerdumont
User Info.
I've always found that whenever I subscribe to Spotify or Rdio, I end up never really getting into anything new that i'm listening to since there's so much to choose from. Now, I just buy Vinyl and iTunes albums (the genre determines which usually), and still do not download. Ironically, I find torrenting albums to be too much of a hassle, when I can just buy them with a single tap inside an app.
08:17 AM on 07/08/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
streaming up 42% and LP sales up 40%. would love to time-warp to 2007 and interview a bunch of major label people and ask them what they think about streaming and vinyl.
The Vinyl : CD ratio is down to like 1 : 15.

Do you think there is any chance Vinyl will outsell CDs by 2020?
08:49 AM on 07/08/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
The Vinyl : CD ratio is down to like 1 : 15.

Do you think there is any chance Vinyl will outsell CDs by 2020?
kinda hard to see the "vinyl craze" going on for another six years but you gotta imagine that CD sales will keep plummeting so i guess there's a chance haha
09:01 AM on 07/08/14
tell that mick
@mickrouse
User Info.
He needs to stop making music for at least 7 years to make a bunch of terrible movies.
The Social Network was fantastic!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version