AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Drama News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Lionfight Racial Incident At Massachusetts Venue Anchors Up

Posted by - 01:05 PM on 07/09/14
Lionfight recently had an incident at a Massachusetts venue called Anchors Up where some members of the band were singled out by staff due to their race. Under The Gun has the full story and interview covering it.
For the first time in probably a decade I ran into some kids who were giving me trouble because of the color of my skin. Haverhill, Massachusettes – you made me feel like I was in elementary school again. We played at this super “punk” venue that didn’t believe in backtracks/samples … Which is totally okay. We like to be that raw band that can play with or without bass drops and pull it off either way. It was only the way the venue workers got in my face, told me they can’t help us and remained pointing at me for the rest of the night. They also mentioned calling their other gang friends to take care of the situation. I remained calm , finished our set, packed up and left. It blows my mind that another human being who is breathing and blinking the same way I am…. Could judge me without knowing me. It’s the year 2014 everyone – racism shouldn’t even be a thing anymore. We don’t feel comfortable playing at Anchors Up anymore – but thank you for those who showed up with an open mind and accepted everyone. I love you ALL and will see you on the rest of this tour. There is one kind of race on this earth – and that is the human race.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 134
01:23 PM on 07/09/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
What is it about that part of the country, that the racism is REALLY aggressively mean spirited? Obviously it exists everywhere, but that region just seems really hardcore about it.
01:28 PM on 07/09/14
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Read their initial post a bit back and this new one today. They shouldn't ever entertain the idea of playing there again IMO. Racism issues aside these employees were absolute dicks and bands should stick together and boycott that venue. Screw them, all around sounds like a terrible venue.
01:29 PM on 07/09/14
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What is it about that part of the country, that the racism is REALLY aggressively mean spirited? Obviously it exists everywhere, but that region just seems really hardcore about it.
because people on the east coast are generally assholes. my year living in CT proved that.
01:32 PM on 07/09/14
walshknilb281
Can't Stand Ya
User Info.
What are you talking about?
01:32 PM on 07/09/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
because people on the east coast are generally assholes. my year living in CT proved that.
That's been my experience, too. Just spending time over there. It's a damn shame. I'll stick to my West Coast attitudes.
01:35 PM on 07/09/14
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
The farther you get away from Boston, the shittier some of the areas get. Haverhill has never had a great impression on me.
01:35 PM on 07/09/14
Uncalled Four
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
generally? you mean not all of them?
01:36 PM on 07/09/14
Bryan Mac
GFYTN
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Haverhill is a fucking shithole and most of the people involved in Merrimack Valley hardcore are absolute scum.
01:36 PM on 07/09/14
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That's been my experience, too. Just spending time over there. It's a damn shame. I'll stick to my West Coast attitudes.

yup, people are much nicer here in Seattle (and Portland, where I see you're at). it's a straightforward type of attitude here in the PNW vs the fake southern niceness i was used to growing up in TX...where they are silently judging you while going out of their way to be extra nice and talkative).

01:39 PM on 07/09/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
What are you talking about?
Pretty straightforward question. The Boston-ish area has the aggressive bigoted musings of the deep south in the 50's.
01:40 PM on 07/09/14
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
generally? you mean not all of them?
the nicest people i met while living in CT were transplants from Seattle.
01:41 PM on 07/09/14
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
Pretty straightforward question. The Boston-ish area has the aggressive bigoted musings of the deep south in the 50's.
I'd argue against Boston being like that. But the North/South Shores certainly do.

But also, I don't want to judge on a situation, but there isn't really any evidence of racial discrimination against Lionfight, just people being dicks towards them.
01:43 PM on 07/09/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
I'd argue against Boston being like that. But the North/South Shores certainly do.
Definitely possible. I am not necessarily familiar enough that I know how to separate the regions, so I will take your word for it. I really enjoy the city of Boston a lot, which is why the rampant homophobia/racism stuff in that general area is frustrating.
01:48 PM on 07/09/14
tub and rug
I find a spark in the normal.
User Info.
These guys are from Chicago? I've never heard of them.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos