Username
Password
UK News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
UK
Inside AP.net

'He Said He Was Innocent'

Posted by: Jason Tate (07/11/14)
The Guardian profiles No Devotion and the struggle to move on from Lostprophets' infamy.
"A day before the charges went public, we heard he'd been arrested and immediately we knew the band was over," Richardson says. "The next morning, we started reading tweets about what he tried to do. And we couldn't believe it." Every member except Watkins has children Richardson's young daughter knew the singer as Uncle Ian which, they say, made the betrayal worse. Both he and Gaze say they'll never listen to the music again. "I can't," Gaze says. "It's tainted, because he was the voice of the band, and it was his lyrics."

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
12:42 PM on 07/11/14
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
User Info.
great article. what a tough situation for them
12:52 PM on 07/11/14
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
I haven't been able to listen to Lostprophets either. I remember I praised the hell out of Start Something for my high school newspaper. It sucks, I really did enjoy their stuff but like the person in the article says, it feels tainted.
01:00 PM on 07/11/14
Swerve City
No labels
User Info.
Wow the part about "One guy got a tattoo after …." he says, meaning after the conviction. He shakes his head." is just terrible.. The way I see it is these dudes should get a fair shot though. Im sure being in the same band they were investigated at least a little and they came out on the other side and he didnt. I think if the music is good people will eventually look past the whole thing and if it sucks then they should ask slipknot where they get their masks from haha I dont know..
01:02 PM on 07/11/14
Schultzy
User Info.
Wow the part about "One guy got a tattoo after …." he says, meaning after the conviction. He shakes his head." is just terrible.. The way I see it is these dudes should get a fair shot though. Im sure being in the same band they were all looked into and they came out on the other side and he didnt. I think if the music is good people will eventually look past the whole thing and if it sucks then they should ask slipknot where they get their masks from haha I dont know..

Yup. You don't know.
01:14 PM on 07/11/14
woohoo!
There's so much room for activities
User Info.
That's horrible for his mom. Can you Imagine? It would also really suck to do something as awesome as make a platinum album and then this happens.
01:18 PM on 07/11/14
Swerve City
No labels
User Info.
Yup. You don't know.
What do you suggest they do then? just stop making music?
02:42 PM on 07/11/14
SteveD
It won't snow where she is going.
User Info.
Is it bad that I can still listen to all their music and not relate it to banging babies?

I generally relate music and lyrics to my own life. At first I found it hard to stomach even thinking about listening to another song until "We Still Kill The Old Way" came on shuffle and I realized that music is supposed to be universal.

The guy is scum, but I don't want to condemn the rest of the band and the heart they put into it.
03:38 PM on 07/11/14
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
Is it bad that I can still listen to all their music and not relate it to banging babies?

I generally relate music and lyrics to my own life. At first I found it hard to stomach even thinking about listening to another song until "We Still Kill The Old Way" came on shuffle and I realized that music is supposed to be universal.

The guy is scum, but I don't want to condemn the rest of the band and the heart they put into it.

i don't know. if start something and liberation transmission was recorded before Ian turned sick and twisted...I could understand if people are able to listen to it. it seemed like the drugs fucked up his mind and caused all that bad shit to happen...
03:56 PM on 07/11/14
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's a shame, because whilst I didn't think they'd ever release music again and get this much exposure, I also think No Devotion probably isn't going to give them what they want in the long-run. The sad thing is that they'll always be known as the band with the 'pedo singer'. All of the press that's appeared over the past few days has been spun this way. Even saying that the band has 'changed their name' - when obviously it's a different band now. I say this as someone who wants it to be different, but IW ruined a lot for these guys, and its a real shame. I'm glad though that the impact on them can be discussed though, without people thinking its inconsiderate to the victims of IW's crimes.
05:40 PM on 07/11/14
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
nice article. also, good on Belarus!
05:58 PM on 07/11/14
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
Both he and Gaze say they'll never listen to the music again. "I can't," Gaze says. "It's tainted, because he was the voice of the band, and it was his lyrics"

also bc its like shitty music ya know
06:20 PM on 07/11/14
hoosierbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Both he and Gaze say they'll never listen to the music again. "I can't," Gaze says. "It's tainted, because he was the voice of the band, and it was his lyrics"

also bc its like shitty music ya know
This. I never got into this band and now I'm so glad I didn't.
08:02 PM on 07/11/14
Schultzy
User Info.
What do you suggest they do then? just stop making music?
You stop commenting
08:50 PM on 07/11/14
Swerve City
No labels
User Info.
haha youre whack as shit.. go back to reddit..
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests