AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Money News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Derek from Defeater Begins PledgeMusic Campaign For Hip Replacement

Posted by - 02:39 PM on 07/11/14
Derek from Defeater has started a PledgeMusic campaign to raise money for a hip replacement.
Without insurance, the cost for the surgery amounts to $50,000, including different programs helping to lower the cost. And even after cost of the surgery, anesesthia, hospital bills, etc, there is rehabilitation and physical therapy as well. Before I go ahead and ask for a handout, I want to make it known that you will be given the opportunity to gain something as well. We have worked together to come up with a few different packages in return for your financial help. After speaking with the hospital, I am certain that this can be taken care of fairly quickly, thus leading to more time spent on the road making up for lost time, however, the cost has to be paid in full on the day of the surgery. Once we reach our goal, surgery will be scheduled immediately. I know this is a lot to ask & this is a huge number. I am asking for help, and that is a risk I am willing to take as I am simply all out of options. If you decide to donate towards the cause and receive one of the options listed, you will also be asked if you would like to donate additional money. If you have any more to give I appreciate it more than you know. If not, I completely understand & I am incredibly grateful for your support. Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope to see you on the road soon with Defeater and Alcoa doing what I know best.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
02:45 PM on 07/11/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
This reminds me of that Amanda Palmer speech I watched, where she talked about allowing yourself to be vulnerable enough to the world around you, that asking for help can be the most humbling and beautiful thing in life.

Good on the guy for throwing this out there. Is he necessarily more deserving than other people? Not necessarily, but if his art touched the lives of people, and they want to help him, then that is awesome.
02:47 PM on 07/11/14
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
Already pledged. I hope he gets all the help he an get.
02:55 PM on 07/11/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Would donate if I could- really hope he raises his goal and gets better soon. Great musician, even better guy.
03:03 PM on 07/11/14
BrucexLee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
One of the most down to earth musicians that I've ever hung out with.

Definitely providing some money for this cause.
03:47 PM on 07/11/14
Micah511
Let's Talk About Your Hair
User Info.
Love defeater, and he was really cool the one time I met him. Donated as soon as I saw it this morning.
03:58 PM on 07/11/14
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
Was hoping for some exclusive Defeater stuff on this, but I checked out Alcoa anyway and totally dig it. Ordering the EP for sure (no vinyl though, sad) and the LP from Bridge 9.
04:28 PM on 07/11/14
hoosierbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I wish I could help but I'm extremely broke at the moment. Love both his bands though.
05:43 PM on 07/11/14
wtfjaked
Tortoise Tamer
User Info.
I dunno the band or hiim. Donated anyway. Hope he gets the help he needs!
07:09 PM on 07/11/14
AndrewSoup
It's A Secret To Everyone
User Info.
Wish I had the money to donate. I'm also uninsured and I'm dealing with some overwhelming medical bills from a brief emergency room stay. It really sucks :(
08:13 PM on 07/11/14
DeLorean88
Everything Will Be Alright
User Info.
I could only pledge a couple of dollars, but I hope he gets all the help possible. Such a down to earth person.
01:11 AM on 07/12/14
TheBaroness
User Info.
Can't believe the state of the healthcare system in the US is such that people need to turn to crowd funding to be able to afford surgery of this nature. Very sad.
03:59 AM on 07/12/14
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Can't believe the state of the healthcare system in the US is such that people need to turn to crowd funding to be able to afford surgery of this nature. Very sad.
Indeed. I'm British and it blows my mind to see a rich country not having a healthcare system that supports those who cannot afford funded healthcare. I've seen opposition to it and I still can't fathom why? It's always baffled me why a country wouldn't want 'free' healthcare for all. It's incredibly depressing.
04:02 AM on 07/12/14
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Indeed. I'm British and it blows my mind to see a rich country not having a healthcare system that supports those who cannot afford funded healthcare. I've seen opposition to it and I still can't fathom why? It's always baffled me why a country wouldn't want 'free' healthcare for all. It's incredibly depressing.
Although that being said, the guns laws in America are equally moronic, so I guess it's not too surprising.
06:16 AM on 07/12/14
nevelsaynevels
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Watched this dude murder it onstage and hobble away with a cane afterwards. Will be pledging

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos